Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM

9 posts, read 14,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Are you buying or renting?
Looking at renting first, once I get a better feel for Austin. This will probably take 6 months to a year.

If I like it, may settle down in Austin.

Was wondering are these neighborhoods typically made up of houses or apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Houses, for the most part.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Houses, for the most part.
Yup. You'll be able to find some older apartment complexes and duplexes, but not many. The neighborhoods you mentioned are very traditionally family-oriented, comprised mostly of modest homes.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,600 times
There are some fairly new apartment buildings in these neighborhoods - one open a few years on Burnet Rd near North Loop and another under construction on Burnet Rd closer to Keonig. These are 4-6 story buildings located at bus stops with interior parking garages. I haven't a clue what they will rent for but it might be a good landing start.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,537 times
It's likely going to be difficult finding a home to rent in those neighborhoods. Homes go real quick, often word of mouth.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM

629 posts, read 1,652,668 times
Good luck! You named 3 very high demand areas for housing. Buying a house is nearly impossible unless you can react on a dime and are willing to pay slightly above the ridiculous mark. Nothing under $250k that doesn't require significant renovation, and most single family homes will be $300k-$400k. There always seem to be some cheap condo conversions near Burnet/Anderson available.

Renting is a so-so prospect. Rental houses are just as difficult to snatch as buying one. Multi-unit housing is either small and old or new and expensive. The new multi-use apartment blocks on Burnet run about $1.5k for a modest size 1-bedroom. I'm sure the small and old apartments are sub-$1k but I haven't looked into it.

I know these neighborhoods fairly well since I had been house shopping in 78757/78731 the first half of this year (and was finally successful!). They're great areas to live in but just be prepared to pay a good amount for housing.

I would suggest looking at apartments in 78759 as well. The Arboretum area is also a nice place to live, somewhat walkable if you're close to the Jollyville/Great Hills Trail area, and has more moderately priced, larger apartment communities. 183 down to Highland is typically a very easy drive, but I'm not sure about the availability of public transportation.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
I would suggest looking at apartments in 78759 as well. The Arboretum area is also a nice place to live, somewhat walkable if you're close to the Jollyville/Great Hills Trail area, and has more moderately priced, larger apartment communities. 183 down to Highland is typically a very easy drive, but I'm not sure about the availability of public transportation.
I use public transportation. It's really tricky to find buses that run exactly to the neighborhood you want once you get past Anderson and Lamar. Trust me, I have tried to do this. Unless the OP doesn't mind hoofing it across the highway, and I would not recommend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin