Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times

Advertisements

Personally, I would rather see us go to level 3 conservation rather than having the bay affected. At this time of year, it is likely that we will get little rains that will keep lawns limping along anyway. A major cut in fresh water would cause a change in salinity, which can have big impacts on the plants and animals in estuaries. It is valid to ask what would naturally happen if there were no dams. My assumption is that the rivers would be running very low and there would be a decrease but not elimination of fresh water into the brackish systems. So there would be some impact. It would take an estuary biologist to evaluate the difference between what would have happened and what may happen with current water management. One thing that I don't know is whether decreased fresh water flows have to potential to endanger species which are already under threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I agree with Komeht and Grasshopper.

Why wait to go to stage 3?

Plus, all Central Texas cities & towns should look at what conservation measures Las Vegas has been employing for decades.

Not to mention those worthless vermin in the State Capitol failing to start long term planning for a realistic water plan.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:35 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Hurricanes usual dump a lot of rain water on the region so it flushes out the salt water the comes with the storm surge. I have seen the waterlevel at the docks on Aransas Bay rise a good 6' or more during a tropical depression.

Most of the shore around Matagorda Bay is not heavily developed, there are several small town but little that I would call prime real estate. Alcoa Aluminum does have a large plant on one shore. The water is quite muddy from all the silt the river washes downstream into it. But oysters, shrimp and the sea birds seem to like that just fine. It is more then Matagorda Bay that relies on the fresh water the feeds into the Laguna Madre, there is a whole string of bays connected together that line the entire Texas coast. The Aransas Wildlife Refuge a short distance West of Matagorda Bay probably gets most of its fresh water mix from Matagorda bay. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is one of the largest protected bird habitates in the USA, thousands of species, including the only surviving flock of endangered whooping crane.

Thanks for shedding some light on the issue. I jump to conclusions and make knee-jerk assumptions. Thankfully after that I can learn a bit more.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
I would rather see us go to level 3 conservation rather than having the bay affected.
At this time of year, Stage III doesn't save much water at all - most of the grass watering is done. Even during the summer, the amount of water saved by going from stage II to III is probably only a fraction of what is sent to the Bay; however, I would like to see an actual comparison.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Nothing the City of Austin does will save significant amounts of water. If the rice farmers aren't cut off, all the lawns in Austin could die and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Nothing the City of Austin does will save significant amounts of water. If the rice farmers aren't cut off, all the lawns in Austin could die and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.
Most of the rice farmers have been cut off for two years.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Yes, a year too late.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
That's unfortunate.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
How about when a hurricane comes in, a tidal wave, a storm surge that pushes all that salt water back into the fresh/salt water mix? Is that any different than what is purposed?

Really? They're going to debate whether or not to protects crabs or people? It's a drought! Something has to give.

Lastly, stop calling it the Colorado River Authority...it's the "Texas River". The Texas River begins in Texas, stops in Texas, must belong in Texas and not the Bay.

With global warming the sea is eventually going to rise anyway...so all that salt water is going to stay salt water.

I haven't been to the Matagorda Bay...is it prime real estate? Do they live on the Bay? Is that fresh water at their doorstop and are their boats going in and out of the Bay? Whats the real issue here? Yeah, I bet they really care about those crabs.

Take it up with the Spanish!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
Looks like a major rain event going on ATM...too far west? If not, problem solved...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin