Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sua2017 View Post
High schools for the Northwest Austin are normally considered Anderson High, McNiel High, Westwood High School, and Vandegrift High School. Anderson being in Austin ISD and the middle two being in Round Rock ISD and Vandegrift being Leander ISD. Based off what you are looking for Anderson would not be a good fit because the prices in that area would be out of your price range in most of the areas for the size of house you want, or simply not available, though the location would be best (much closer to halfway between jobs and a lot more commuter options. Vandegrift would be out of the way for both of your jobs and be the 2nd most expensive of the four when it comes to cost per square feet. Avery Ranch, Spicewood Estate, the area around Anderson Mill, and Canyon Creek would keep you in Austin, big enough house, and in budget with great schools.Any area zoned to Westwood and McNiel would fit the bill for you but the northern sides of their zoning area would be closer to the metro station.

If you don't mind an address that says Cedar Park on it your options will skyrocket. With your budget you could get easily a 3,000 sq/ft home with a big back yard close to Lakeline Station zoned to either Cedar Park High School or Vista Ridge High School. I do believe some of Vista Ridge does go into Avery Ranch and by default has areas with an Austin Address, but don't quote me on that for I could be wrong.

In recap if you find a house zoned to ending with McNiel, Westwood, Vista Ridge, or Cedar Park I think it would be a good option for you and like the above keeping close to Lakeline station would be ideal. When it comes to your daughter I have no experience and can speak none to it, I would suggest contacting RRISD or LISD and inquire what sort of help they may have. Austin ISD will have plenty of options just because of the amount of kids that are in the district (around 90,000) and they have faced everything before and the other two together are not even as large as Austin ISD, though growing fast and having to face every issue anyway.
Sua 2017 absolutely nails it. I agree with every sentence.

Took my original "gut feeling" & provided excellent detailed info (better than I could have).

Quote:
(my original post): My gut is that the area within 2-4 miles of the Lakeline station (with a dozen or more neighborhoods served by RRISD to the south & east & LISD to the north & west) would deliver all the items on your checklist. Good to Great Schools, less than 6 miles from Riata, a 40 min. train ride downtown, 350K & less, fairly diverse & welcoming area, etc. etc. but I don't know if schools in the Vista Ridge, Cedar Park, Westwod or McNeil HS tracks have the speech offerings you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times
Sua2017 - a big thank you for the very detailed response. Have started searching based on the schools. Having never lived in the area, we remain open to all possibilities that may fit our list of needs and wants without spending too much on what we consider our first home there. We have been to a lot of the areas you listed - canyon creek, avery ranch, milwood, spice wood estates, great hills, ranch @ brush creek ( over on a scouting trip a couple of weeks ago ) and we really liked canyon creek area the best but my fear is that it may be too far to the train station. I have also called AISD, LISD, RRISD to inquire about their speech services and the process. It's a federally mandated law so they all offer services, however parents or folks familiar with the system are always able to offer really valuable insights and that's what I'm hoping for.

Hound109 - clearly your "gut feeling" is top notch..:-)

Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
You asked about Avery Ranch and Ranch at Brushy Creek -- we live in Walsh Trails, which backs up to Ranch at Brushy Creek, and it takes about 5-10 minutes to get to the Lakeline train station, which does have parking. Keep driving south on Parmer about another 8-10 minutes and you're at Riata. It's a very convenient location, and the area is growing by leaps and bounds. The neighborhoods are nice, and you'll find either brand new or almost new homes in all three I mentioned.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Thanks, will definitely check out Walsh trails. This is in cedar park, right? Anywhere that would put my husband close ( within 10 minutes or less) to lakeline station is our list. What elementary school, middle and high school do you track to?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Pretty sure it's Patsy Sommer > Walsh > RR High

That said, I'd strongly suggest renting in an area for at least a year before buying.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:11 PM

EZPeterson...thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin