Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,727 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm making the move to Austin, Texas in January 2008. I'm 21 single female looking to pursue musical interests as an audio engineer of sorts. I found out I got accepted to UT Austin today and am transferring because my current location offers no opportunity in the music world. I have no false hopes about stardom just to clear that up. My passion is music and I would love to work on the technical side of things. I'm currently obtaining a business degree in MIS because I know its a good idea to have some sort of solid background in case my musical aspirations lead me to fall flat on my face. My question is, if I don't qualify for a scholarship, can any one offer me any advice about MediaTech. I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should continue with the business degree or just go to MediaTech. Has anyone been there? Is there opportunity enough in Austin for me to possibly get an entry-level job/internship/apprenticeship working in the audio engineering field with the MIS degree and no certification in a musical program? I want to have a degree but I also really want to pursue music. I want to be realistic about my options though because I doubt I will have the financial means to juggle everything. I'm also a singer and am thinking about circulating the open mics, etc. I've been told by friends and family at home though that they doubt I will have time to go to school, work, and get involved in music. Do you think this is true? This is why I wanted advice about the entry level music job. Is it a possiblity and what do you think about UT vs. MediaTech? Any help is really very much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
Hi all!

I'm making the move to Austin, Texas in January 2008. I'm 21 single female looking to pursue musical interests as an audio engineer of sorts. I found out I got accepted to UT Austin today and am transferring because my current location offers no opportunity in the music world. I have no false hopes about stardom just to clear that up. My passion is music and I would love to work on the technical side of things. I'm currently obtaining a business degree in MIS because I know its a good idea to have some sort of solid background in case my musical aspirations lead me to fall flat on my face. My question is, if I don't qualify for a scholarship, can any one offer me any advice about MediaTech. I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should continue with the business degree or just go to MediaTech. Has anyone been there? Is there opportunity enough in Austin for me to possibly get an entry-level job/internship/apprenticeship working in the audio engineering field with the MIS degree and no certification in a musical program? I want to have a degree but I also really want to pursue music. I want to be realistic about my options though because I doubt I will have the financial means to juggle everything. I'm also a singer and am thinking about circulating the open mics, etc. I've been told by friends and family at home though that they doubt I will have time to go to school, work, and get involved in music. Do you think this is true? This is why I wanted advice about the entry level music job. Is it a possiblity and what do you think about UT vs. MediaTech? Any help is really very much appreciated!!!
Speaking as a UT grad, a degree from there is a much better fallback than something from MediaTech (never heard of it myself). The industry you're trying to get into is hyper hyper-competitive.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 AM

982 posts, read 3,306,963 times
I haven't heard of MediaTech, either. Austin Community College has some classes that might be right up your alley though.

Commercial Music Management

(Audio Engineering, Music Business, Commercial Performance)

The bottom of the page says something about available internships.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 PM

106 posts, read 471,909 times
I would say UT no doubt. It is a well respected 4 year school while that will be valued for the rest of your life. I would just do music buisness or something at UT and then try and intern. Also there are some studios around Austin that would probably be willing to let you part-time intern while you go to school. I know a few people in the industry you are wanting to work in. Thing is a degree doesn't really make a huge difference. I know one person who just saved alot of money and then opened his own studio. However, if you got into UT I would go it has a very good reputation and is very affordable.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM

98 posts, read 485,970 times
Concordia also has a respected RTF department(which is what sound recording/engineering would fall under I think).

Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
I would say MediaTech's program is a better simply because it doesn't cost as much as a University like UT. They are also a very hands-on school, meaning as of day 1 you will be working on an SSL 6000E G Series with Total Recall! That is one of the best analog consoles ever made! Not only do they show you how to operate professional studios, they also offer classes in Post Production, Live Sound Reinforcement, Advanced Production Techniques (mixing and mastering.) They have a very comprehensive look into what goes on in the Audio/Entertainment Industry, all in ONE YEAR! This allows you to be out in the real world gaining real world experience a lot fast than a 4-year program. In this hyper-competitive industry, experience is the best thing for getting a job. Also, in the audio industry it is very easy to tell if you are qualified for the job from the very beginning, even if you have a degree from a well-respected school like UT.

here is a link to the website: [url=http://mediatech.edu/]Entertainment Industry Education - Digital Film School - Recording Arts School - Dallas/Ft. Worth - Austin - Houston - Texas - MediaTech Institute[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin