U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:38 PM

32 posts, read 110,590 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would like to buy some old, cheap wooden furniture to fix up and put in our new place. Are there any places in Austin or within a couple of hours drive that sells that sort of thing? Thinking of bedside tables, benches, etc. I assume there are plenty of places in Austin that do the whole "reclaimed furniture" thing, but I also assume they'd be super over-priced. We'd like to only spend a few dollars, plus we'd like to do some of the work ourselves. Any ideas? Willing to do some significant driving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM

291 posts, read 753,194 times
There are several thrift stores on Burnet road between 45th and 183. Sometimes you can find some pretty cheap furniture. The cheapest furniture, IMHO, is at garage sales.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 8,409,587 times
I have a friend who has a "reclaimed" outlet in New Braunfels where she sells all sorts of things picked up at weekend garage sales. She claims she sells her purchases for ten times what she usually pays for them, after putting minimal effort into refurbishing them. She's constantly on the lookout for "treasures" in other people's trash - like unrecognized works of art (lost masterpieces, etc.).

I've found certain people become addicted to these weekend garage and yard sales, even though they may have little room to store the "junk" they buy once they have it.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 AM

8,961 posts, read 15,902,735 times
No lack of Goodwill Stores here(well over a dozen) and Salvation Army outlets. SA will have daily specials at many locations, so it pays to study the system.

It really does cut out the middle man to shop garage sales. By the time a consignment store gets their markup, the price might be 2-3 times what a person to person sale might bring. You're paying a bit more for the convenience of having a greater selection in one place. You could hit no fewer than 10 thrift type stores along 183 alone!

Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM

658 posts, read 1,895,429 times
I have also seen all wood pieces go for small prices on Craigslist.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM

16,791 posts, read 46,074,305 times
There used to be a furniture auction place in Lockhart, TX that was a lot of fun. But I think it closed. My friends and I picked up some nice pieces there. Google furniture auction near austin tx

Old 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,325,014 times
Default bulk pickup days

Hi,

No stores are that affordable for that sort of thing. We have a few good consignment stores but the prices are not a few bucks. Your best bet is to come when there are bulk pick-up days and also look in Craigslist free section. Austinites have a bit of money so they give away pretty good stuff for free.

Many of the bulk pick up days are hard to find in the city sites I suspect because they want to discourage strangers from dumping things from other neighborhoods. Not that you would but please don't do that.

In 78745 we have bulk pickup October 7 so if you come the 5th or the 6th to that zip code and drive around you may find some good things. Competition can be hard though-several trucks coming by to get stuff.

ciao.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:40 PM

32 posts, read 110,590 times
Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful!

Up in Montana my mom has a few good, super-cheap consignment/pawn shops in her small town and the towns nearby--any gems in the hill country in small towns like Spicewood or Llano or the like?

Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM

16,791 posts, read 46,074,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Hi,

No stores are that affordable for that sort of thing.
I recall when I worked at a hardware & furniture store years ago, that the store made no profit if they could not sell an item for more then 3X what it cost them.

So if you want cheap you really need to be out beating the bushes to find a used item for sale directly from the seller, estate sales or something tossed off on the rubbish heap or on large items trash pick up days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin