Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Hey, 1,400 is affordable these days .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM

171 posts, read 255,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Looking at the locations now:

Okay I can see there not being any in West Austin but why nothing but a single project in North Austin?
There are actually 4 in North Austin, and 6 in NE Austin.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 787 View Post
There are actually 4 in North Austin, and 6 in NE Austin.
What 6? I consider 78723 to be East Austin. Is there anything west of MoPac?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM

West of Mopac = North Austin ???

Anything north of downtown and east of 35 is northeast Austin. Not hard to figure out.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
scm53 yeah it was not a great moment for me as a writer. lol. "Here is one of those poor people we should I guess despise, assume they keep their property dirty and kick to the curb." It certainly only applied to 787 and one other poster's attitude to the poor.

Austin is very different than many cities other's come from. The newcomers may see things with their eyes that look down and out but are average for Austin and the people within that area are contributing greatly.

I despise the writing off of all poor. I think we need to consider what the poor have contributed like the 78704 area which is now a goldmine. Originally it was middle class, lower middle class poor and the projects. My husband's parents bought a house there in 1963. They were on a middle class street mostly white, non-Hispanic.

Going off on a tangent here for a minute you would not believe how many non-Hispanics call my husbands area a barrio when they heard he grew up there. It was really embarrassing for them but they did not know they embarrassed themselves. One street over yes it was low income but not on his actual street. This was a couple from poverty(his parents) who made it to the middle class and they wanted to be on a nice street. The house has gone up in value something like 10 times.

However we have an area like Montopolis which is still lower income they allowed a development to be built in their area an upper middle class development. Then when a group wanted to build some new affordable housing the upper middle class development's people fought against it. I think this was in 2012. It was deemed racist by the original lower income neighborhoods that the upper middle class development's people fought against it. I have to agree with the original Montopolis folks. What does it say if no upper middle class people want lower middle class people near them even though it was those types that let them in?

So what I think is happening is people are bringing these attitudes like Nor Cal Wahine and not realizing that the attitude is making Austin worse not the actual thing they are fighting. The people that are moving here that don't understand, that just want the weird without supporting how the weird got here, the foundation, I have a problem with that.

I will keep trying to figure out to help in that way.

Ha ha, I am still looking into this affordable housing bond issue, For or against-dunno yet, and heading to the polls later.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:

Anything north of downtown and east of 35 is northeast Austin. Not hard to figure out.

No, I was asking were there any affordable housing locations west of Mopac at all. Excuse you.

And ANC disagrees with your assessment of what is East Austin. A lot of what you consider North Austin is really Central Austin.

Austin Neighborhoods Council--ANC Links

Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:

That's not true. Everything between 290 and the river is properly characterized as central east Austin.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
So what I think is happening is people are bringing these attitudes like Nor Cal Wahine and not realizing that the attitude is making Austin worse not the actual thing they are fighting. The people that are moving here that don't understand, that just want the weird without supporting how the weird got here, the foundation, I have a problem with that.
That isn't an attitude. It's an opinion. One shared by many Austinites, both native and newcomer. It has nothing to do with 'weird', or city history. Low income housing projects often bring crime and blight. I wish that wasn't the case, but I certainly won't embrace it in the manner that you suggest we should.

Rather bold to insinuate that one in disagreement with your own values just 'doesn't understand'.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 11-05-2013 at 10:56 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You mean the $1400/mo 1/1 apartments? Those?

Where in the world did you get the idea that was affordable housing?
Nope. I'm talking about the ones being built across the street from them:

Foundation Communities | News and Events

Old 11-06-2013, 07:24 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Nope. I'm talking about the ones being built across the street from them:

Foundation Communities | News and Events

Uhhh, I don't know about you, but I don't consider the other side of Brodie, the other side of the shopping center, to be "across the street".

But YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: