Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:06 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
We just spent the last two weeks driving in the front range area of Colorado while on vacation - including Denver and Boulder. We noticed a marked difference in the way people drive there compared to here. For lack of a better word, I would say they drive more "cooperatively". They drive the speed limit, yield to pedestrians and cyclists, use turn signals, etc. Yes, there were a few speeders on the interstates but overall none of the erratic lane-switching, red light running one sees here on a daily basis. In Boulder, they had very visible flashing signals at busy intersections so that cyclists could safely cross. It was interesting to note the difference.
You honestly mean to tell me that there are no drivers in the far left lane on the interstate going 10 mph below the limit???? Darn Colorado people, they need more Austinites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
Really, I still see people ignoring them, or even honking at me for stopping at one when it's solid red. But I agree it SHOULD be easy as pie.
I go through three or four of these, some on a daily basis, some almost daily, and I've never seen this. No problems that I've observed except when drivers forget they can treat the blinking red light as a stop, then go signal. But, I've never heard anyone honk to get the driver going.

Centralaustinite, we do have them north of the river.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 PM

155 posts, read 211,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I see this excuse (and it is an excuse, not a reason) often. Here's the thing.

No matter what someone is doing in front of you in any lane, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN DRIVING BEHAVIOR.

No one is forcing you to change lanes without signaling (I'm presuming the person in front of you doesn't have control of your turn signal switch, but it's a pretty safe presumption); you make that decision all on your own. Heck, no one is forcing you to change lanes at all, even if the person in front of you is driving below the speed limit for no reason (after discussions on here I've been watching this closely when driving in Austin, and mostly if someone is driving below the speed limit in ANY lane it's traffic related - all of the traffic is slowed down due to something up ahead, be it merging traffic or road work or whatever - mostly if someone is driving "slow" in the left lane they're driving the speed limit or only five or ten miles over the limit).

Usually it's speeding by someone and a refusal to slow down that forces them to change lanes erratically rather than anyone driving below the limit for no reason, and nothing at all beyond their own carelessness stops them from signaling such a lane change.
I never said I change lanes without signaling or make erratic lane changes due to slow traffic. I just gave a reason er, excuse for the horrible traffic behavior of Austin. Also, more often than not slow drivers in the left lane are usually on cell phones. I'm usually driving slow in the right most lane (I'm originally from Minnesota. You've of course heard of Minnesota Nice) Unwittingly, I might be contributing to the problem because there is not an available lane for the speeders to overtake the slow drivers in the left lane. Your post seemed to admonish me more than the offenders.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 36,747 times
I haven't noticed drivers in Austin to be any worse than other cities. What I have noticed is that many people seem to have an aversion to using their turn signals.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
I never said I change lanes without signaling or make erratic lane changes due to slow traffic. I just gave a reason er, excuse for the horrible traffic behavior of Austin. Also, more often than not slow drivers in the left lane are usually on cell phones. I'm usually driving slow in the right most lane (I'm originally from Minnesota. You've of course heard of Minnesota Nice) Unwittingly, I might be contributing to the problem because there is not an available lane for the speeders to overtake the slow drivers in the left lane. Your post seemed to admonish me more than the offenders.
I didn't say you personally do it.

What you did say was "Typically, the left-most lane is the slowest lane making erratic lane changes without using turn signals a regular occurrence" as if that's the reason for people making erratic lane changes without using turn signals, and I was objecting to the idea that it's anyone but the driver making erratic lane changes without using turn signals that makes that a regular occurrence.

I said it's an excuse I hear often, and went on to explain that "you" in the generic are responsible for your own actions (because it's so danged awkward on internet forums to use "one" for "you" without sounding like a high school English teacher of days gone by). Only you know, on here, if you're someone who reacts so inappropriately to someone in front of you not going as fast as you want to go. The only thing we do know is that you have said that you think it's the slower driver, rather than the bad driver who makes the erratic lane changes without signaling, that is the cause, and you're dead wrong there.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Do these actually work?

Yes, for the most part. Sometimes drivers run them, but overall it's a big help to crossing these streets.

I've come to the conclusion that 20-30% of drivers are texting while stopped at a light. When it comes time to go it takes 2-5 seconds for them to get moving, fairly often. (I even seem staring at their phones, because I am on a bike and can see better/closer).

I'm sure it's scarey how many are texting while moving.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Yes, for the most part. Sometimes drivers run them, but overall it's a big help to crossing these streets.

I've come to the conclusion that 20-30% of drivers are texting while stopped at a light. When it comes time to go it takes 2-5 seconds for them to get moving, fairly often. (I even seem staring at their phones, because I am on a bike and can see better/closer).

I'm sure it's scarey how many are texting while moving.
Totally agree with this although it sometimes can take much longer than 2-5 seconds. This is really frustrating when you compound it with the ridiculous light timing in Austin since these texters can easily cause people to miss the light making them wait several minutes more for the next light.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:37 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Totally agree with this although it sometimes can take much longer than 2-5 seconds. This is really frustrating when you compound it with the ridiculous light timing in Austin since these texters can easily cause people to miss the light making them wait several minutes more for the next light.
One of my major pet peeves as well. It makes me wonder if people do not understand the pressure plate system at cross streets. As long as there is a steady stream of cars crossing the intersection, the light won't change until it's timed out but take one nitwit not paying attention and there's enough of a gap for the sensor to trip the light. Then they charge through the yellow light leaving you cussing and screaming behind them! Do they not know how these work or are they too self absorbed to care about anybody on the road but them?

Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 AM

155 posts, read 211,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I didn't say you personally do it.

What you did say was "Typically, the left-most lane is the slowest lane making erratic lane changes without using turn signals a regular occurrence" as if that's the reason for people making erratic lane changes without using turn signals, and I was objecting to the idea that it's anyone but the driver making erratic lane changes without using turn signals that makes that a regular occurrence.

I said it's an excuse I hear often, and went on to explain that "you" in the generic are responsible for your own actions (because it's so danged awkward on internet forums to use "one" for "you" without sounding like a high school English teacher of days gone by). Only you know, on here, if you're someone who reacts so inappropriately to someone in front of you not going as fast as you want to go. The only thing we do know is that you have said that you think it's the slower driver, rather than the bad driver who makes the erratic lane changes without signaling, that is the cause, and you're dead wrong there.
While I agree that impatience on the part of the speeders is not a virtue, do you condone the slow drivers keeping to the left lane? This is most often the case in spite of vacant right lanes. The causes for this appear to be, mostly, either distracted driving (ex:cell phones) or plain laziness.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
PrimusPilus, I think anyone driving below the speed limit should not be in the left lane, if only out of self-preservation. However, that's not what you were saying; you were saying that they were responsible for the behavior of those behind them who drive recklessly, and that is not the case at all.

As I said in my earlier post, due to posts complaining about how people drive slow in the left lane all the time in Austin, I've made a point of observing this (and my speedometer - you know, the think that tells you how fast you're REALLY going) while driving around Austin, and as I also said, the times that I've seen anyone driving below the speed limit in the left lane, it's been when everyone in every lane is driving below the speed limit due to the crush of traffic being slowed down as as whole - getting past them isn't going to get the person who is made crazy by deferred gratification anywhere. In general, if traffic is flowing normally, it's usually going about five to ten miles per hour OVER the speed limit, with the left lane going slightly faster than the others, with the occasional person weaving in and out of traffic because that's not fast enough for them. That person has no sympathy from me and is exactly the person I'm referring to. Nobody is making them do anything, and they are solely responsible for their own actions and the consequences thereof.

As for me, if there are three lanes available, all things being equal, I prefer the middle lane because that makes it easier and safer for people entering on my right and the speed addicts can go by on my left and pull off the cops up ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: