Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It happens when there is a little rain or drizzle mixed in with the snow.
Sleet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
Ok...I'm naive and all but I've never heard of this happening. My ideas of snowy winters are all from the movie A Christmas Story. At least that's what I thought when I saw the photo of the swing set.

Looks lovely and all that, but not to live in, just to visit.
You've never heard of car doors freezing shut??? WOW! It happens all the time here in the Northeast! Esp. when we get a good ice storm!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Sleet?
and yes, sleet will cause your doors to freeze shut also! They sell tools up here to insert into your car locks that heat up the inside mechanism of the lock to help open the doors!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
You've never heard of car doors freezing shut??? WOW! It happens all the time here in the Northeast! Esp. when we get a good ice storm!
No. But I've never been in snow when it's really bad. The most time I've spent in the snow is a few days, in an RV traveling the west coast in the spring. No sleet, no freezing the RV door shut. And it couldn't have been as cold as some places in the winter because I had many memories of walking through slush in flip flops (we were children and kids are impervious to temperature extremes when they want to be).

Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
I happened to me one year..went outside and tried to open the door..nothing. And it wasn't just a little bit of ice..it was a thick sheet. Had to wait a while til the sun came out and started to melt it some and then I banged away at the door til it cracked.

It was funny calling into work telling them I'd be late cause my truck was frozen solid.

I usually go out early when there's ice and turn on the truck to get the heater running with the vents pointed at the windshield to melt that some and then scrape.

BTW..I don't keep my truck in a garage - too much other crap in there

Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
No. But I've never been in snow when it's really bad. The most time I've spent in the snow is a few days, in an RV traveling the west coast in the spring. No sleet, no freezing the RV door shut. And it couldn't have been as cold as some places in the winter because I had many memories of walking through slush in flip flops (we were children and kids are impervious to temperature extremes when they want to be).
Ya'll need to come up to Western Pennsylvania and sit a spell in mid-January/February! I guarantee you won't be walking through slush in flip flops then!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I happened to me one year..went outside and tried to open the door..nothing. And it wasn't just a little bit of ice..it was a thick sheet. Had to wait a while til the sun came out and started to melt it some and then I banged away at the door til it cracked.

It was funny calling into work telling them I'd be late cause my truck was frozen solid.

I usually go out early when there's ice and turn on the truck to get the heater running with the vents pointed at the windshield to melt that some and then scrape.

BTW..I don't keep my truck in a garage - too much other crap in there
Same here--my truck sits in the driveway all winter! The only thing you can do is hit the ice with a rubber mallot and try to break it up ...at least over the door area so you can gain entry to start it and let it run for a good 20 minutes to help melt the ice.
I will take the TEXAS HEAT anyday over this crap!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Ya'll need to come up to Western Pennsylvania and sit a spell in mid-January/February! I guarantee you won't be walking through slush in flip flops then!!
Yeah...that's why I don't live there! I'm waaaaay past childhood (physically...maybe not mentally) and and way to sensitive to cold. I love the heat and humidity here in Austin. Jan-Feb is supposed to be pretty cold, here, too and I'm sure my neighbor down the street (from Iowa) will be laughing at me again.

It was 72 the other day and there I was in long jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (still cold) and he was in a t-shirt and shorts.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah...that's why I don't live there! I'm waaaaay past childhood (physically...maybe not mentally) and and way to sensitive to cold. I love the heat and humidity here in Austin. Jan-Feb is supposed to be pretty cold, here, too and I'm sure my neighbor down the street (from Iowa) will be laughing at me again.

It was 72 the other day and there I was in long jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (still cold) and he was in a t-shirt and shorts.
LOL!! Here in PA after winter is over and March comes around...sometimes the temps will reach mid-50's degrees and everyone is out walking around without coats, driving with their windows down because that is a heat wave to us Yankees! So I can see why your Iowa neighbor is laughing at you when it is mid-70's!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,787 times
Like I said earlier...ain't barely worn jeans yet. It will be a sorry *ss day when I start getting cold when it's 72. I'll probably be an old geezer with 10 dogs livin' in a trailer by then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: