Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
Simple solution: leave bags in the car
Good idea except that if you take the bags into the house to unload the groceries, and you unload the groceries, and you are going to take them right back out to the car except that some emergency or even non-emergency happens that takes precedence over doing it right then (you know, life happens as it so often does) and you don't remember to put them back in before you leave the next time - voila, no bags in the car.

Even those of us who almost always put them back in the car right away have this happen.

If it hasn't happened to you, just wait. If you are of the opinion that it will never happen to you because you're so perfectly organized, just think about the gods' attitude towards hubris and realize that you are going to be a huge belly laugh for them sometime soon.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Good idea except that if you take the bags into the house to unload the groceries, and you unload the groceries, and you are going to take them right back out to the car except that some emergency or even non-emergency happens that takes precedence over doing it right then (you know, life happens as it so often does) and you don't remember to put them back in before you leave the next time - voila, no bags in the car.

Even those of us who almost always put them back in the car right away have this happen.

If it hasn't happened to you, just wait. If you are of the opinion that it will never happen to you because you're so perfectly organized, just think about the gods' attitude towards hubris and realize that you are going to be a huge belly laugh for them sometime soon.
Generally I put the bags by the keys after I unload my groceries, so I remember to take them back to the car. My problem is remembering to bring them into the store with me

Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
Generally I put the bags by the keys after I unload my groceries, so I remember to take them back to the car. My problem is remembering to bring them into the store with me
I still forget them just as much as before. Mostly because I don't remember to put them back in the car like THL. If I forget them but have them in the car, I'll always go back and get them... Need the exercise anyway. I have noticed a lot of stores have just given in and are providing paper bags with handles for free. If I had to guess, I'd say the peak use of people bringing their bans was immediately after the bag ban, and now it's dropped off a bit.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM

17 posts, read 29,448 times
I alwys buy the re usable bags at HEB. They only cost a dime and are real sturdy. They are great for storing stuff in them and good for holding towels going back and forth to the laundry mat.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
Is this a good justification for "stealing" baskets?
Please don't put words in my mouth. The comment was in response to this:

Quote:
Do they reuse the little baskets? Not clear on the benefit of "borrowing" them other than it is too much trouble to bring a bag in.

Not so simplistic. Many times I've realized that a) I remembered I need something at HEB and b) realized I don't have a bag in the car.
There are times when it is more than "too much trouble to bring a bag in", and it is simplistic to purport such.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I forget to put my bags back in the car all the time. And to respond to another person, I have heard the shoplifting has markedly increased. Everyone carrying around empty bags (and often putting their groceries in them as they shop), has made it easy for thieves to do the same thing, and just not pay for them.

Used to be that whenever store personnel saw someone put something in a bag, they would approach them or at least keep an eye on them. But now everyone is doing it. Even I've done it. Especially when I only need a few things, and there are no hand baskets. And even if there are hand baskets, it's kind of a hassle to carry the basket and my bags.

I still haven't stolen any hand baskets though.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I have noticed a lot of stores have just given in and are providing paper bags with handles for free.
I'm guessing you mean other than grocery stores. The grocery stores where I shop have offered paper bags from the beginning.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I'm guessing you mean other than grocery stores. The grocery stores where I shop have offered paper bags from the beginning.
Yes, they used to have paper and plastic (your choice for free), but the bag ban requires a bag with handles that can be re-used. So those no-handle paper bags were also gone. But now most have added the paper bags with handles; some places, like Walmart, were originally charging for those but I believe now they are free.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:48 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times
I put my reusable bags on TOP of my purse and that way I can't forget to put them back in the car. And if by chance I do forget them, I keep a bag full of bags in my trunk for just that purpose. I've got a BUNCH of them stashed in my trunk.

Also, when I run into Walmart and forget to bring my own bag, I just put everything back into my cart and push it out to my car where plenty of bags are waiting for me to load them up. It never occurred to me to take out one of those little baskets. Guess that's a good thing!

Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM

155 posts, read 211,514 times
RowdysMom: Bravo! People here (in fact, everywhere) tend to take the easy way out. Not to mention the complainers who complain a lot for no apparent reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin