Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,149 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

I've been following this forum in the past few days and really enjoyed the richeness of the discussions and learned a whole bunch about Austin. Thanks to all the posters.

I would like to request help from some of the experts here to help with my case. We are moving to Austin and liked the Lakeway area. We have an offer on a house at the Hills of Lakeway and before we commit to this we came to the realization that we never asked people some basic questions about the neighboorhood. My wife and I are in our early 40's and have a teenage daughter in high school (10th grade). We don't care about Golf but it would be nice at some point to get some lessons. We love to have a nice entertainment at home with a nice backyard and this house we are putting an offer has a nice pool, jacuzzi, fireplace outside. It is a very nice house for almost $500K but it is a 15 years old house.

My question to you all is the following:
1) Do people live in this community or only use it as vacation home?
2) Do you know if there are teenagers in the community? what is the current age mix?
3) Is the community seen more as a place for retirees as it used to be in the inception of the community?
4) Is the property tax higher than in other areas in Lakeway?
5) Is the fact that the utility is electric instead of HOA run propane, better?
6) Is the HOA better compared to other HOA? (i.e. less strict/nosy, etc)
7) Is it allowed to jog/run in the golf paths/streets?
8) Is there a pool in the community (I believe not but wanted to check).
9) Are there other communities better to buy compared to the Lakeway considering that we are not into Golf but are more looking for a nice/newer home with a pool?
10) The HOA fee seems to be somewhere around $2,250 per year. Is this the highest in the area?

Thank You in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 02:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Can't answer all of your questions but this may help.

It used to be more of a retiree and vacation home community but its my impression most people live there year round now. I have heard that the HOA and police are pretty strict. And that jogging is allowed on the paths.

Yes lakeway has a swim center City of Lakeway, TX - Official Website - Swim Center

Lakeway Demographics https://www.city-data.com/city/Lakeway-Texas.html

More detail on residents https://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...way-Texas.html

Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
The Hills of Lakeway is not really a community in Lakeway, it's its own city called The Hills. The HOA dues are the highest in the area because it's a gated and guarded city. You have to pay for that. Flintrock has about the same HOA, but it's not its own city. No, there is no community pool. You have to go right outside the gates to the Lakeway City Pool and it's $5-6 a person, depending on if you want to say resident or non-resident. (The Hills being it's own city is a fine line between a Lakeway resident and not, but I'm sure many people still say resident)

Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
The Hills has evolved to an area loaded with families that like being in a gated community and being kind of part of Lakeway. I admit to a strong dislike of gated communities but The Hills is a nice area. There have been entertaining political fights in recent history such as the change in rule that once prohibited basketball backboards not in a fenced backyard. The Hills' age helps it look more natural and a lot less master-planned than some neighboring newer areas.

I did not know the HOA dues were that high. But they are not captured by a corrupt propane contract so I think the lack of propane is a huge plus. Imagine that you can choose what kind of appliances you have in your house! (unlike Rough Hollow for example).

The Lakeway swim center has annual family memberships - and very affordable. Open for lap swimming year round.

For property taxes look up the home you are looking at in the Traviscad.org listings.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The Hills of Lakeway is not really a community in Lakeway, it's its own city called The Hills. The HOA dues are the highest in the area because it's a gated and guarded city. You have to pay for that. Flintrock has about the same HOA, but it's not its own city. No, there is no community pool. You have to go right outside the gates to the Lakeway City Pool and it's $5-6 a person, depending on if you want to say resident or non-resident. (The Hills being it's own city is a fine line between a Lakeway resident and not, but I'm sure many people still say resident)
Correction, I did find "The Hills" https://www.city-data.com/city/The-Hills-Texas.html It appears to be a separate township.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-19-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 PM

326 posts, read 684,938 times
Very strict HOA! We leased there for awhile, and had older neighbors behind us that would call the guard desk if our dog barked, or if children were playing in the backyard, or if our sprinkler system accidentally sprayed into their backyard. Guard would come pay us a visit, and bring us a warning citation. My thought is this: be careful of the neighbors--many kids in the community but the elderly neighbors are not tolerant of younger families and noise. Also, you have a mandatory social membership fee--regardless of your use of the facilities.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 10,149 times
Default Opnion on Hills of Lakeway

Thank you all for your answers. This is very informative!

CptnRn - Thanks for the reports. I guess the report is from the Lakeway and not from The Hills, correct? Also, I have the same question on the police services covering the area on The Hills and whether they are serviced by the County, Lakeway, or private police inside of The Hills. If i don't get an answer here, I will call the Lakeway police tomorrow and ask.

FalconheadWest - Thanks for the info as well. Could you send me a direct message with how much in average is the HOA at the Flintrock, if you know... Also, is it allowed to walk from The Hills into the Flintrock community to get to 620 and the Starbucks/Wendys/CVS area? Is this the best way to get there is one lives close to the Serene Elementary School?

hoffdano - Thanks for the information. Do you mind sharing the average cost of propane gas consumption in the area for communities that have them, in case you have this info. Please send me a direct message if you feel more comfortable. Thanks.

LakeTravisAlum - Hi there! Thanks for the info. Could you tell me which year did you rent in The Hills? How old were your kids? Also, your comment is stuck in my head when you said "many kids in the community but the elderly neighbors are not tolerant of younger families and noise".... Do you think the kids in the community dislike living there because of the situation you described? When you say younger families, would you think that my family is too young for this neighboorhood? If you have a chance and prefer to respond in private, please send me a direct message as well.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
I saw in today's Statesman Election guide that the Hills is electing a mayor and at least one alderman. At least one candidate addressed the issue of changing demographics and increasing number of children as a positive and said that he had and would work towards better serving families.

Reading between the lines -- there does seem to be some tension around the issue. I can barely find Lakeway on the map never mind The Hllls, so I am not your best source but it does seem wise to research the issue.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:57 PM

326 posts, read 684,938 times
We lived there in 2010--our family was about the same age as yours--2 boys, and they were in 7th and 12th at the time. There are many families in the Hills with children, so I think that kids do like it there, but the parents have to put up with the complaining! Your family is not too young. Our next door neighbors at the time were getting a pool installed, and the elderly couple behind them were fit to be tied! The community is beautiful--well-maintained properties and I'm sure you noticed the hill country feel from the neighborhood. If possible, I would try to "get to know the neighbors" before you decide. Also, the pool for the Hills (included in social membership) is outside of the community at the tennis center nearby. The Lakeway Swim Center is another swimming facility close to the Hills, and this is the one you have to pay an entry fee.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_pan View Post
Thank you all for your answers. This is very informative!

CptnRn - Thanks for the reports. I guess the report is from the Lakeway and not from The Hills, correct? Also, I have the same question on the police services covering the area on The Hills and whether they are serviced by the County, Lakeway, or private police inside of The Hills. If i don't get an answer here, I will call the Lakeway police tomorrow and ask.

FalconheadWest - Thanks for the info as well. Could you send me a direct message with how much in average is the HOA at the Flintrock, if you know... Also, is it allowed to walk from The Hills into the Flintrock community to get to 620 and the Starbucks/Wendys/CVS area? Is this the best way to get there is one lives close to the Serene Elementary School?

hoffdano - Thanks for the information. Do you mind sharing the average cost of propane gas consumption in the area for communities that have them, in case you have this info. Please send me a direct message if you feel more comfortable. Thanks.

LakeTravisAlum - Hi there! Thanks for the info. Could you tell me which year did you rent in The Hills? How old were your kids? Also, your comment is stuck in my head when you said "many kids in the community but the elderly neighbors are not tolerant of younger families and noise".... Do you think the kids in the community dislike living there because of the situation you described? When you say younger families, would you think that my family is too young for this neighboorhood? If you have a chance and prefer to respond in private, please send me a direct message as well.

Thank you all for your help.
I am sorry to say I have no idea how much propane costs except for filling my gas grill tank (which won't help you). I do that at an RV park since the tank exchange programs use tanks that are at least 2 lbs short of full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin