Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,783 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Sooooo the idea of moving to Austin has crossed our minds. When I picture anything to do with Texas I think of a very conservative and Republican state. However, after doing some research I have seen it is not necessarily that way. So your input, advice and honesty would be greatly appreciate.

We are a gay couple from Southern California. My husband and I have been together for many years and have three children. We are thinking about moving to Austin as we have heard from a few people that it's a fantastic place to live. How do you feel we would be received? Is there a big gay scene? Are there many gay families? What is the overall consensus of legalizing gay marriage in Texas?

Any and all honest input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,639,541 times
I'm not gay but I am super liberal and there are many others like me here. There is a sizable gay population here, many couples and many with children. I can't see legalizing gay marriage happening here anytime soon, unfortunately, but you'll be fine here. For the record, the mayor of Houston is gay. Come on over!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,238,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I'm not gay but I am super liberal and there are many others like me here.
I'm not gay, but I am super conservative, and there are many others like me here. Austin is a pretty live and let live place - regardless of politics. Even the most conservative people I know probably care more about if you keep your yard mowed than what your living arrangements are.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I'm not gay, but I am super conservative, and there are many others like me here. Austin is a pretty live and let live place - regardless of politics. Even the most conservative people I know probably care more about if you keep your yard mowed than what your living arrangements are.

I'm gay.... My yard will be mowed and the prettiest on the block! But, I'm still very concerned with the conservative aspect. I live in a very conservative town now and it's not something I'd like to repeat.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 PM

535 posts, read 1,285,359 times
I'm not gay, but I do have gay friends in Austin. They have never voiced any discrimination issues here. That said, when you are doing something out of the norm of society there is always going to be SOMEONE that will complain or judge. No matter where you live there are just some people more accepting and live and let live than others. We homeschool (for non-religious reasons) and we have had our fair share of judgement from mainstream society.

When you are living out of the norm it's best to choose an area with the least amount of judgement and from experience I would say Austin is more accepting of differences than any other area I have ever lived. That's just my personal experience and opinion.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayinaustin View Post
Hello,

Sooooo the idea of moving to Austin has crossed our minds. When I picture anything to do with Texas I think of a very conservative and Republican state. However, after doing some research I have seen it is not necessarily that way. So your input, advice and honesty would be greatly appreciate.

We are a gay couple from Southern California. My husband and I have been together for many years and have three children. We are thinking about moving to Austin as we have heard from a few people that it's a fantastic place to live. How do you feel we would be received? Is there a big gay scene? Are there many gay families? What is the overall consensus of legalizing gay marriage in Texas?

Any and all honest input would be greatly appreciated.
If you just go and live your life and keep the neon sign that says "I'm gay but please don't treat me differently" turned off, hardly anyone will notice most of those who do notice won't care.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you just go and live your life and keep the neon sign that says "I'm gay but please don't treat me differently" turned off, hardly anyone will notice most of those who do notice won't care.
That's all good and well to say. But the reality is when you see two gay men with three kids get out of an suv it's hard not to notice. I like the whole idea of live and let live. But the reality is that is so not true. My neighbors let me live. But, they don't like me! The only reason they don't like me is because we are gay. Why do I know this to be true. This came straight from the horses mouth... or should I say asses mouth.

I guess I'm looking for acceptance and not tolerance!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,376,890 times
What part of "hardly anyone is going to notice" is missing? You won't be the only gay family - hell, Austin tried to elect a cross-dressing homeless guy mayor, there's a few guys that do yoga in g-strings at Zilker, every now and then you'll find people riding through town on a horse or a longhorn. Believe me, two guys and 3 kids piling out of an SUV may not even register.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM

844 posts, read 2,010,179 times
You will be super duper fine in Austin. However, a gay couple I know just moved back to CA because of the marriage laws. Texas is unlikely to legalize gay marriage anytime soon and they wanted to be legally married. You may want to check the laws, taxes, inheritance, and how all that will affect your kids.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,213,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayinaustin View Post
That's all good and well to say. But the reality is when you see two gay men with three kids get out of an suv it's hard not to notice. I like the whole idea of live and let live. But the reality is that is so not true. My neighbors let me live. But, they don't like me! The only reason they don't like me is because we are gay. Why do I know this to be true. This came straight from the horses mouth... or should I say asses mouth.

I guess I'm looking for acceptance and not tolerance!
I hear you on the last part. Coming from Southern California, you might not think Austin is all that liberal. It's just MUCH less conservative than the rest of Texas. Can you and your husband walk down the street holding hands without getting any looks at all? Probably not. With that said, Travis County was the only county in Texas that voted against Prop 2 in 2005. A similar proposition passed in Maine three years later, before it was rejected in 2012. There's always a chance that you will live next to another "ass" in Austin, but the difference in Austin proper is that he/she probably won't be that popular with your other neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin