Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to the USGP F1 race in Austin Nov 15-17?
Yes, I'll be there 11 19.30%
No, I'm not going 46 80.70%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

With all kinds of motor racing in my blood and 7 championships to prove it, my daughter plays select travel softball. The weekends are devoted to her and college recruiting, or I'd be all over the F-1 scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Yes, we'll be there -- had a very sweet friend who bought a bunch of VIP tickets and gave us two! All three days, with food and drink included! We cannot wait....I'm looking forward to just the people-watching!
Gee, neighbor...if you need someone to fill a seat one day---
I was treated by Volvo to be in their K-PAX GT/GTS paddock back in May. First time to the track and I learned a bit...one thing I learned is that people will pay $45 plus tip for three cans of beer! Don't forget the $8 scoop of ice cream! Of course, they may NOT have paid $35 to park over 1/4 mile deep in a field of limestone and enjoy the walk to and from the track!

The weather will be interesting...last year, one group from NYC was interviewed and said it was warmer BACK HOME than it was here for the race!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 11,708 times
Just received a Living Social email with a ticket promotion to F1. There must be plenty of space left...$39 for an all-day Friday ticket.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkimbo View Post
Just received a Living Social email with a ticket promotion to F1. There must be plenty of space left...$39 for an all-day Friday ticket.
Not bad...the offer I received was $349-650 for a single three-day ticket!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
I'm looking forward to it as it seems like one heck of an experience.

But, I am working at it and am having lots of difficulty finding a hotel at a reasonable rate :/

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkimbo View Post
Wonder if ticket sales are slow this year?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,800 times
I think GA tickets are down this year. The high-priced areas sell well, but lots of unused capacity in GA.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Gee, neighbor...if you need someone to fill a seat one day---
I was treated by Volvo to be in their K-PAX GT/GTS paddock back in May. First time to the track and I learned a bit...one thing I learned is that people will pay $45 plus tip for three cans of beer! Don't forget the $8 scoop of ice cream! Of course, they may NOT have paid $35 to park over 1/4 mile deep in a field of limestone and enjoy the walk to and from the track!

The weather will be interesting...last year, one group from NYC was interviewed and said it was warmer BACK HOME than it was here for the race!
Actually I will keep that in mind. Since we've never been before, we don't know if we'll even enjoy it....and since I will have been in Galveston for a conference for the four preceding days, I may be exhausted. I plan to take a blanket in case it is chilly, and I'm wondering about ear muffers for the noise? We both have the electronic shooting muffers so we would still be able to talk with them on -- think they would be helpful?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Actually I will keep that in mind. Since we've never been before, we don't know if we'll even enjoy it....and since I will have been in Galveston for a conference for the four preceding days, I may be exhausted. I plan to take a blanket in case it is chilly, and I'm wondering about ear muffers for the noise? We both have the electronic shooting muffers so we would still be able to talk with them on -- think they would be helpful?
Take any 'ears' you have...it is LOUD !!! Take a few pairs of foam plugs as well as the muffs...you may not need max protection all the time...a little bit like shooting. Depending on where you are, you may or may not have any 'breaks in the action' so you can catch your breath and have a conversation. I spent much of my time in the grandstand and the cars bunched into two or three groups, allowing a few seconds of relative quiet on each lap. If you're already tired when you get there, you'll want a half-day or more to wind down after it's all over. You don't necessarily realize it during the race, but it can wear you out! It's nice to be able to get away from the action a bit...behind the grandstand was a nice getaway...unless you buy something at the booths...like that eight dollar scoop of ice cream!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
I don't know about the shooting mufflers, but you definitely want ear protection. Not sure where your seats are, but if they are grandstand or paddock area it gets SUPER loud there because of the echo.

That's great that you have the VIP tix with food/drink included, that fixes a huge part of the expense and hassle at the track.

For those who don't have the food/drink included, I'd suggest bringing in water bottles (1 sealed bottle per person). They only have a few water fountains throughout the site and the lines get really long, mostly because everyone is filling up their bottles rather than pay $4 for water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin