Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to the USGP F1 race in Austin Nov 15-17?
Yes, I'll be there 11 19.30%
No, I'm not going 46 80.70%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Anyone stay for the Pitbull concert? Did they force the other 100K fans out the circuit and just let 14K watch the concert as I think that's all the concert venue seats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM

155 posts, read 211,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Anyone stay for the Pitbull concert? Did they force the other 100K fans out the circuit and just let 14K watch the concert as I think that's all the concert venue seats?
Barring a few hardcore fans, people left of their own volition. If I (an Austinite for 10 years) couldn't take the 90 deg heat + humidity, think about all the Europeans and folks from other cooler parts of the US?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
Barring a few hardcore fans, people left of their own volition. If I (an Austinite for 10 years) couldn't take the 90 deg heat + humidity, think about all the Europeans and folks from other cooler parts of the US?
It was a fluke heatwave in November. I was there on Saturday and it was warm, when the sun came through it was toasty, but it mainly stayed overcast and the wind helped.

I was doing errands on Sunday all day and I was thinking I was glad the weather was what it was on Saturday.

What a crazy weather week though, huh? 31 degrees on Tuesday morning and 90 degrees on Sunday. If the weather would just stick to November averages (like last year), it would be very nice.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM

49 posts, read 79,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Crowds seemed much thinner this year - had seats that were fantastic and plenty of room all around me.

The heat was dreadful however - direct sun, no decent concessions nearby.
I think many more people opted for general admissions this year versus the bleacher seats. Much more affordable! Also the circuit has some great areas for general admissions viewing.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgy1 View Post
I think many more people opted for general admissions this year versus the bleacher seats. Much more affordable! Also the circuit has some great areas for general admissions viewing.
Maybe - I was at highly desirable seats at T12 with one of the best views on the track - was able to stretch out my legs and put all my stuff on the side and still had lots of room to myself.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Turn 1 was, if anything more crowded than last year and my old Turn 2 bleacher seats were turned into luxury boxes!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,251 times
I watched the race on television and it was enjoyable. My question is, if you are at the race, do you actually get to see anything? It seems like they speed by your location and be gone in the blink of an eye.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
I watched the race on television and it was enjoyable. My question is, if you are at the race, do you actually get to see anything? It seems like they speed by your location and be gone in the blink of an eye.
Yes, you can see a lot. The track in that sense is designed very well compared to some other road course; the views allow you to see a big enough section of the track that you can watch the cars for more than just a few seconds at a time. There are also large video screens posted at many of the viewing areas so you can keep up with what is going on in the race. But a lot of the thrill is also hearing the cars driven in anger. It's not just hearing, it's feeling, like jets going by you.

My suggestion is to go for one of the smaller races during the year first; they are cheaper, and far less crowded, so you can get a feel for what you will see from various areas without spending a bunch of money.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Yes, you get to see quite a bit. You need to pick a section of the track where there are curves or where you can see multiple sections. I had GA so I sat in the lawn but it was great. I don't think I'd want bleacher seats unless it was shaded or had access to a concourse area or private bathrooms. Of course those are the premium seats so I'll be stuck with the lawn.

I would say that an F1 race is something akin to the state fair in Dallas, plenty to see and do, lots of food and drink booths, porta potties, a concert or two, and instead of rides it has a race. This is my way of describing it for those that have never been to something like this. It's not just about watching one race either, there are a set of races. It's actually a good value for the money if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin