Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Rooceleste - not sure where your work is located, but are you saying it can take up to an hour to get to 183/Mopac intersection?
It wouldn't surprise me on a bad day if it took that long. My work is at the intersection of 183 and I-35, and it takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on what's going on with traffic. Generally it takes about 50 minutes to get there when school is in session. (It's about 16 miles from my house, for reference) The Mopac/183 intersection is a bit NW of my work, so it might be a bit quicker, but then again, you never know from day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,019 times
Quote:
Thanks all for your insights... Keep them coming, please!

EzP - did you mean the delta between Cox and the new school Reed would be negligible? If that's the hypothesis, why then are some parents supposedly unhappy about the move. I always thought that rule of thumb was that brand new schools are on average better since hopefully things should have been well thought out in the planning stage. But not yet at the school stage since my kiddos are still so young so my thinking may well be flawed. Also are you saying that travel time to Mopac and 183 could well be 40 - 50 minutes at rush hour? That's crazy
Yes, the traffic *right now* to that intersection is really bad. Both MoPac and 183 are disasters that should be avoided. MoPac in particular gets nasty from Parmer south to Enfield in the AM - 183 from Anderson Mill to MoPac. What takes FOREVER is getting to MoPac from the Cat Hollow area. Once O'Connor is open to 45, that will smooth things out a bunch but may add some tolls to the commute ($3/day?). When I do have to go into the office during peak times, it'll take an easy 45-60 from Parmer/Brushy Creek to Research/Burnet. Unless it's like this past week, where the traffic light timing got screwed up somehow and it was taking 45 minutes just to get to MoPac, and another 20 after that. Throw in some rain and, well, I turned around and went home and rescheduled my meetings.

As for the school thing. People HATE change, and always gripe about new boundaries, etc. The schools in the area are all very consistent, the differences between schools are likely to be smaller than the differences between individual teachers at those schools. I would prioritize this way:

1. Location/commute. It's kind of a bummer that your husband isn't on the train line anymore, that would have made things fairly painless.
2. House
3. School - again, almost all of the schools you're looking at (and even some you're ignoring) are excellent. Not to mention, home is more important than school.

I'd really advise renting for 6-12 months first and figuring out which neighborhood/area you like the best.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,953 times
Quote:
Thanks all for your insights... Keep them coming, please!

Janineg & Mark- thanks for the new proposal map. Is the thinking that the new school Reed would be sub par relative to Cox and Rutledge which are the current schools for the 2 areas in our short-list that may be re-zoned? Just want to understand why some parents are unhappy?

Janineg - what other amenities does Silverado have? Is it the same as Creekview as in do they share amenities since its difficult to see on the map the demarcation. How long does it take your hubby to get to Mopac and Parmer intersection that you mentioned at 9:30

Mark - yep, thanks again, all great info. anything happened in the last 2 months on Aparmer to cause the change in traffic patterns? do you live in Avery Ranch? will definitely do a looksee at the Milburn park. The area looks nice.
As EzP stated, part of the fear of Reed is fear of the unknown. Not knowing what the administration will be like, etc. I don't currently live in Avery Ranch, but I might soon. It just seems that LISD already upset a lot of parents in Avery/RABC by zoning them all the way up to Stiles instead of Henry for middle school.

I'm curious who said that Creekview shares amenities? They have their own (smallish) pool and playscape. What amenities do they share? Silverado has a nicer pool/playground than Creekview, but I'm not aware of any sharing there either.

Traffic patterns over the past two months on Parmer have gotten worse because all the schools started back up, the increase in housing along Parmer/Ronald Reagan (ie. Caballo Ranch, Rancho Siena, Sarita Valley, etc.), and as EzP said, the traffic lights are timed incorrectly supposedly due to the upcoming time change, but it's probably just a glimpse of the future. Luckily, there are routes around it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 PM

384 posts, read 981,353 times
Silverado Ranch and Creekview don't share amenities. My house in Silverado Ranch was built in 2008 and the Creekview ones are very new. The feel of the two neighborhoods is very different because Creekview cut down all of the old trees before building while Silverado saved many old trees. But the boundaries are hard to see on a map because the neighborhoods are right next to each other. I do like the landscaping a lot in Silverado Ranch. It also has a shady playground next to the pool, and a pretty arbor. It's great for talking walks. But now that I see how beautiful the Brushy Creek Trail is, I wish I had looked at homes within walking distance to it.
My husband said that when he leaves at 9:30am, heading south on Parmer, it takes him 15-20 minutes to get to Mopac.
From what I heard from parents at the zoning meeting, I got the impression that people think Reed won't be as "good" as Cox/Reagan/Westside. Parents from Westside were very upset that their neighborhoods were being re-zoned to Reed (which is natural), but another parent from Cox was even more explicit that she didn't want her neighborhood to be moved there alongside all the apartments headed to Reed.
So, there are safer bets than Reed, but who knows?
The pictures below are of the amenities at Silverado Ranch:
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverado1.JPG
Views:	821
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	120347

Name:	silverado2.JPG
Views:	1280
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	120348

Name:	silverado3.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	120349

Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,786,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
It wouldn't surprise me on a bad day if it took that long. My work is at the intersection of 183 and I-35, and it takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on what's going on with traffic. Generally it takes about 50 minutes to get there when school is in session. (It's about 16 miles from my house, for reference) The Mopac/183 intersection is a bit NW of my work, so it might be a bit quicker, but then again, you never know from day to day.
Your kids aren't in school yet. It's November 2. Lots of homes won't come on the market till March.

No one has said it yet, so I will. RENT. (For 3-6 months)

- Get your bearings.
- Try out the commutes from Parmer & 1431 (etc.)
- Look in areas you haven't considered yet. (homes that flow into McNeil HS, Anderson Mill, Davis Spring, even Canyon Creek & two dozen others)
- WAY more availability of homes in March - May.
- Your kids aren't in school yet, no whiplashing for them.
- Less stress. (WAY less stress).
- I NEVER am happy with the first house in an city or area that I almost buy in & am ALWAYS am glad I kept looking (& had the time to keep looking).

If you find your perfect house when you get here, great. If not, rent (even in a month to month type place with stuff in storage) for 90 - 180 days. Cool adventure for the kiddos for 90 days as you guys get your bearings. (& confirm commutes)

Old 11-02-2013, 12:46 PM

772 posts, read 1,061,182 times
Rooceleste - wow and double wow.. i dont think hiubby can handle a 1 hour commute each way. Even here in the bay area, it doesnt take 1 hour to go 15 miles on crazy 101 during rush hour. And I thought 101 was bad.

EzP - yeah, we were all sorted with him being downtown and working towards being located near the train station. He likes taking the train to work and we are very used to that system but alas he had to go find another job. But jokes apart, the new job is better on almost all fronts.

Mark - If we end up around Parmer area, will be sure to ask you what those routes around it are. thanks

Janineg - wow.. thanks for the pictures and your response

Hound - Where do you find these rentals? I've checked on craigslist and there doesnt seem to be much. I had our realtor set us up for rentals on the MLS gateway and the rentals are kinda expensive. I tried to look close to hubby's job and found rentals fore around $2500. i feel like we would rather pay that in mortgage but totally open to finding good rentals as plan b. We may have to rent if we dont find anything next week. Just would prefer to rent in the same school district as one of my kids will hopefully be receiving speech therapy through the school district and honestly its a stressful process to qualify for services and wont want to go through that process again in a few months by moving to another ISD.. for her and for us.. and by all indications, LISD and RRISD are pretty identical in service offering for a child with her speech needs

Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,786,265 times
Here's a thread.

No-lease apartments

& check out Cptn.RN's "welcome to austin sticky" for others. I don't know anything about the districts special services. If you've narrowed down to two districts, i guess you should pick a rental in one of these. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:57 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,692 times
For reference, today's commute was 50 minutes....but it started drizzling about half-way, so that always freaks people out!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM

772 posts, read 1,061,182 times
Rooceleste - The commute is just crazy. Basically, only living in NW hills or Great hills general area will let us have maybe 15minutes commute. But those areas are just too expensive for us. Oh we'll, guess we have to get used to it

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,019 times
I would add the area bounded by Mopac/Duval/Parmer/Anderson Mill (roughly). I haven't seen that in your other posts, so you may have it already. You will bring commute times WAY down in this area and there are some really cool neighborhoods tucked in and around.

It'll take a good realtor, and some time, but you can find some nice spots in there that would be pretty convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin