Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,811,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Rooceleste - The commute is just crazy. Basically, only living in NW hills or Great hills general area will let us have maybe 15minutes commute. But those areas are just too expensive for us. Oh we'll, guess we have to get used to it
South of 620/45 Toll would give you a 10 min & hubby a 20-25 min....& possibly be in your price range. Areas that feed into McNeil & a couple of neighborhoods that feed into WWHS. Davis Spring (just north of 620/45) also feeds into McNeil & would be a shorter commute than areas north of VRHS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:23 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,594,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
South of 620/45 Toll would give you a 10 min & hubby a 20-25 min....& possibly be in your price range. Areas that feed into McNeil & a couple of neighborhoods that feed into WWHS. Davis Spring (just north of 620/45) also feeds into McNeil & would be a shorter commute than areas north of VRHS.
I completely agree with this or even closer in like the part of Milwood that feeds into RRISD. However, the Op mentioned in her first post "...or the houses just look bad ". It sounds like she wants a newer home as most of the neighborhoods that she is considering look to be on the newer side (less than 10 years old) with Cat Hollow and maybe Deer Springs being a little older.

The only other thought that I have is, two working parents with Elementary school aged children, does that mean after-school care is needed? I would set that search as a top priority now even before the house search. We have budgeted about $500 per month, per kid, for after school care after checking around at the available options for learning based after school care. We only have two kids, so we'll be looking at $1000 per month for that when the time comes, but it will be a break because we're paying over $2000 per month now for private pre-K (for both).

In regards to avoiding the current Parmer commute situation, cutting over to 183 at Brushy Creek or Avery Ranch seems to save a little time if you are going to 183/MoPac. It took me exactly 30 minutes to get to 183/MoPac from the Brushy Creek bridge on Parmer at 6:50am by taking Brushy Creek Rd from Parmer to 183 (without using the tiny stretch of 183A which probably would have cut off another 4 minutes). But, I do think that the commute could be cut in half currently if you leave before 6:30am or after about 8:20am.

And a lot of us are familiar with your husband's current commute. I commuted for two years on 280 and 101 (depending on which one I wanted to take as I was about the same distance from each) from Santa Clara to Palo Alto about 10 years ago. It's not that much different here now on the actual freeway during rush hour, so he shouldn't really expect a relief from rush hour traffic unless you live below Anderson Mill in my opinion.

Last edited by mark311; 11-05-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM

772 posts, read 1,067,363 times
Thanks Hound and Mark

Our primary consideration is great elementary schools exemplary or at least recognized within commutable distance to our jobs. There seems to be a lot available in the Anderson Mill area but they track to either AM E.S or Purple Sage which while ratings and reviews are not be all and end all, that's the only data point we have..these schools don't show we'll. my girls will be going to E.S soon so it makes no sense to us to buy in a nice enough area where the school are not so great by public accepted benchmarks. But we keep looking.

Mark - yep, after school care is always one thing to worry about with 2 working parents. But our girls missed the sept 1 cut off so they don't go to K next year but 2015 so in the meantime, fortunately and unfortunately, we still have the full day preschool option that we've have used.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,594,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post

Our primary consideration is great elementary schools exemplary or at least recognized within commutable distance to our jobs. There seems to be a lot available in the Anderson Mill area but they track to either AM E.S or Purple Sage which while ratings and reviews are not be all and end all, that's the only data point we have..these schools don't show we'll. my girls will be going to E.S soon so it makes no sense to us to buy in a nice enough area where the school are not so great by public accepted benchmarks. But we keep looking.
Yes, you'll definitely find something and the areas that you're looking at aren't all that different anyway. I'm pretty sure that some streets in Milwood around Anderson Mill/Parmer do track to Pond Springs/Deerpark/McNeil. Those would be the only ones that I would consider there, but I also imagine that inventory is pretty low right now for those homes. Please let us know how your search turns out and good luck.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,171,146 times
Those TEA designations: exemplary, recognized, acceptable, no longer exist!

So beware, anyone who is using them is likely using 2012 rankings (with 2011 data). So they will be rapidly out of date (and were always an imperfect measure anyway).

So what is the new system? Here is an FAQ from the TEA but honestly, I can hardly understand a word of it!!

2013 Accountability Rating System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin