Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,126 times

Advertisements

Why in the world would you think Austin has more petrochem jobs than Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 34,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Why in the world would you think Austin has more petrochem jobs than Houston?

I didn't, i said houston has more petrochemical jobs than IT related jobs. Austin seems to have more IT related jobs than houston.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,126 times
Sorry--guess I misread.

Houston is the fifth largest city in the country and much larger than Austin (over 6m people compared with Austin under 1m) and will have more jobs (of every kind) period. It's a no brainer.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 34,586 times
Quote:
Sorry--guess I misread.

Houston is the fifth largest city in the country and much larger than Austin (over 6m people compared with Austin under 1m) and will have more jobs (of every kind) period. It's a no brainer.

Ok other than jobs, what about these:

ii) Safe area

iii) Both of us love travelling, so should have decent things to do around.

iv) Upto 3 hours driving distance to houston.

v) Nice to have Indian muslim community around.

vi) Decent weather, not too cold ( one of the reasons why we are moving out of chicago).

Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,520 times
Houston

Old 11-01-2013, 01:42 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,777,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchofnewplace View Post
Ok other than jobs, what about these:

ii) Safe area

iii) Both of us love travelling, so should have decent things to do around.

iv) Upto 3 hours driving distance to houston.

v) Nice to have Indian muslim community around.

vi) Decent weather, not too cold ( one of the reasons why we are moving out of chicago).
All three are nice cities. Dallas is colder than the other two (in the winter).

Regarding Houston & Austin:

- "other than jobs" (that's kind of important which is why most everyone is recommending Htown over Atown).

- Both have safe areas. (& a few pockets of unsafe areas)

- Both have "decent things to do around". Seriously....we have no idea what you like to do or consider "decent"? But Houston is 5 times bigger than Austin & officially has 2.34 times as many decent things to do than Austin.

- Austin is less than 3 hours driving distance to Houston. Houston is less than 3 hours driving distance....to Houston.

- I would suspect Houston would have more muslim Indians than Austin, but I have no idea. Both cities have a decent % of Indians. (many clustered in certain areas of the towns).

- Both cities have "decent" weather in Winter. (Aren't there like 243 posts discussing weather in these cities??) Normally highs in the 60s with the occasional 30s or 40s day thrown in. Both cities are crazy hot in the summer. Houston a little cooler (but with a little more humidity).

My recommendation would be to relocate where you can get a job.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 AM

701 posts, read 2,481,653 times
I would recommend searching both Houston and Austin for job listings. That will give you a good idea of what's available for your fields. Also, you should take a week and visit. Come to Austin for several days then Houston for several days during the months that you think would be most uncomfortable for you (probably winter? Jan-Feb). Overall, Houston would be more in line with what you're looking for though. Both have very safe areas however I think that cost of housing for nicer areas in Houston with short commutes to downtown cost a lot more than Austin. I don't live there but have friends that do and it seems to be the case, anecdotally.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 24,060 times
Dallas is a good 10 degrees colder all year round compared to the other cities. So if you don't like 100+ weather, it's less of a problem in Dallas. Though, the sun will still bite July~end of Sept.

What do you like in a city? I assume you just want to get away from the cold and crime.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 PM

519 posts, read 776,606 times
Quote:
Sorry--guess I misread.

Fourth largest.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,274,900 times
Quote:
Sorry--guess I misread.

You are using the Houston metro area to get to six million, then using only the city of Austin, not the metro area - which is 1.8M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin