Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times

Advertisements

It seems like every election, I have to vote at a different place - 5 different places so far since I moved here 6 years ago (even though I've only lived in one place here). In the past, I got a notice in the mail telling me where I had to go. No such mail this time, so I went to the official Travis County Clerk's Election Page to find out. But this time, it seems like maybe I can basically go to any spot I want to vote - not just for early voting (which I know has already ended), but for same-day voting. That may be true, but it seems odd to me. When I type in my home address, it says "here are the closest places to you" and lists many, as though I have a choice, rather than "here's where you have to go to vote". For what it's worth, the closest place has never been where I had to go in the past.

So can everyone now go to any voting place at all on election day to vote rather than having to vote in their own specific precinct (which in my case is #310)?

EDIT: I think I found it here: http://www.traviscountyclerk.org/ecl...s_G13_EDAY.pdf

So you can't vote wherever you feel like, but the process I talked about above of just entering your address on this page (http://www.traviscountyclerk.org/ecl...t.do?code=E.49) does seem to suggest that maybe you can.

Sorry about possibly muddying the waters, but on the off chance that I'm not the only one confused by their website, I think I'll leave the post up.

Last edited by Paulmmm; 11-04-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
So you can't vote wherever you feel like
The upper right corner box seems to say you can vote anywhere (which is what I was thinking was the case), no sure where it says you can't?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The upper right corner box seems to say you can vote anywhere (which is what I was thinking was the case), no sure where it says you can't?
Digging a little deeper, I think you're right. Now when I look at the PDF list of all precincts, it does say you can vote anywhere. So where you are registered via your address is just your precinct, but not the only place you can vote.

Has that alway been the case? If so, I wonder why I used to get notes telling me where to vote.

Anyway, it does look like you can vote at any location. So please ignore pretty much everything I've asked and said in this thread.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
The vote anywhere is new in probably the last 5 years or so? Maybe less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: