Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times

Advertisements

This post illustrates why improvements to our little burg are incremental (at best). And it's pretty much contrary to what CD (and the interwebs) are best at (b*tching about stuff & offering free advice). Comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx78660 View Post
This is not directed at the OP directly, just an observation based on all the different threads threads deal directly or indirectly with this topic. So this post addresses hundreds of threads...wow, that's efficient.

I'm tired of all these "too many people are moving here" threads. I doubt anyone will change their posting style or opinions because you are "tired". & I think that you're exagerating the number of anti newcomer posts. (unless they come without a job lined up).

It's a free country, people can move where they want. Yes. That is correct.
  1. No one is going to leave if they like it here because someone complains that too many people move here. Uh....that's not the point. Some people want to move here because "jobs are plentiful", "home prices are dirt cheap", it's "hip" & "weird" (& we have fabulous mass transit & neglible traffic). Many regular posters are advising folks otherwise or are at least giving them more accurate data.
  2. Complaining about change is like trying to hold back the tide with your hands - a waste of time. Come to terms with the facts and move on. Most who "complain" are also offering solutions. imo, if one doesn't "complain" then he's pretty much saying that the status quo is OkeyDokey. A complaint to you, might be a constructive criticism to others.
  3. Use your energy and imagination to come up with solutions on how to make this a better place for everyone (care to give us a few?) and stop whining about the fact that Austin is so popular. Unless you happen to be a member of the native American tribes that roamed these lands before 1839, your family has moved here in the past 174 years, most likely in the past 50 years or less - you really have no basis to complain.Thanks for the history lesson.
Like others have commented, I'll probably be leaving in 5-7 years as well. Austin busted out of my "city size" sweet spot about 10 years ago. Once the last kid graduates, I'll cash in the chips & find a town where there are no (or very few) professional politicians & where people still know how to operate their turn signal indicators.

Last edited by hound 109; 11-08-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
, I'll cash in the chips & find a town where there are no (or very few) professional politicians & where people still know how to operate their turn signal indicators.
Hey, good luck on finding such a town.

In 1967 while driving from Giddings to Austin on 290, a local dude in Elgin coming eastbound made a left turn in front of me while we were doing 60 mph. Didn't even have time to brake. Hit the right rear quarter of his Ford pickup - my new '67 GTO spun around a couple times and came to a stop in the driveway of a gas station (just missed the pumps). The Goat was totaled, and Mrs. ScoPro was quite annoyed (unbeknownst to us, she was 1 month pregnant). Thank goodness for the recently standardized seat belts. Nobody was injured.

In the past 46 years ever since, I still pucker up whenever passing through that intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin