Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM

103 posts, read 322,152 times

Advertisements

My neighborhood is questioning a rather new fee from our HOA to seek approvals for landscaping, sheds, etc. It used to be free and now they want $50 and want us to submit even the plants we plant each season. It is NOT going over very well to say the least.

My question is what does your neighborhood HOA charge if anything? Our management company insists that ours is at the low end. I consider free was the low end, and $50 is a huge jump from $0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,367 times
That's a big jump! No fee here, I'm in a small HOA of about 100 homes.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM

59 posts, read 116,491 times
No fee here, and we have an ARC (architectural review committee) that approves requests for landscaping, sheds, etc.

I'd ask a lawyer if this is even legal, based on your HOA rules.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
600 homes, no fee. Our hoa has like 60K in the bank from yearly fees since there isnt much to spend money on.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx78660 View Post
No fee here, and we have an ARC (architectural review committee) that approves requests for landscaping, sheds, etc.

I'd ask a lawyer if this is even legal, based on your HOA rules.
Or, you know, read the covenants yourself before paying an attorney to do it for you.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
The Circle C charges $30 for review of sheds and decks, $75 for a pool and $100 for a house remodel. But all landscaping approvals are free, and they don't ask to approve what you plant, just that you have to have 2 trees in the front yard. They also have a list of invasive plants that they don't want you to plant. Although I wouldn't plant those things either, I don't think there is a "plant patrol" out there checking. I got a plan for front yard landscaping approved last year, but they are not checking what I said I would plant against what I eventually do plant.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Those fees are insane extortion. Total bull. We have 400 homes, no fee.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
No fees for the reviews by our HOA, the review it self is done by committee members who volunteer. I'm sure it would be legal, but I see no justification for charging a fee. All the management association does is pass the information back and forth between the committee and person making the request. The HOA also does not even try to regulate what kind of planting you do other then requiring two trees and some % of lawn in the front yard.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM

29 posts, read 54,032 times
If they never charged the fees before then this new rule must have been passed in one of the recent board meetings. You should be able to go back in the recorded minutes and look to see when it was passed. You should have no problem locating the minutes as they have to publish them by law. Try and find out when this change was passed and which board member made the motion and who seconded it. Then if the minutes don't give you enough information on why it was done contact them directly. In many HOA's a change to the covenants/governing documents requires a certain percentage of home owners to approve it and if that is the case for your neighborhood, this may have been approved at the last community meeting that your HOA had.

Also if your HOA is small enough, and enough people don't want this fee anymore, you can join together and vote for it to be changed. In reality, many HOA's have made this virtually impossible to do but with enough support anything is possible

Good luck, and I hope it works out for your neighbor.

Last edited by stubbs4prez; 11-10-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: missed a few words

Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I am on the ARC in my neighborhood and we don't charge anything for any type of approval. I think people would run us out on a rail if we even tried Someone submitted an approval to set up a tiny free library in their front yard this week. That was an interesting one, but it looked so cute and it seems like a great idea, that I approved it (I know, off topic, but I love books, so I've been happy about that happening in this neighborhood that I had to talk about it )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin