Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

It always puzzle me how Austin, with a strong blues history, didn't have more jazz. Real jazz, not the smooth jazz stuff that is always playing at One World Theatre.

My theory is that jazz as a whole has a tiny audience nationwide. Jazz seems strongest in cities like NYC or SF, which have a large population and/or a history with jazz.

Even Houston's jazz scene is small for a metro with 5M people (although I saw Max Roach, Sonny Rollins, and others when I lived in Houston in the early 1980s.

I hope the OP is successful with jazz in Austin. I listen to jazz about half the time I listen to music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 PM

75 posts, read 148,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It always puzzle me how Austin, with a strong blues history, didn't have more jazz. Real jazz, not the smooth jazz stuff that is always playing at One World Theatre.

My theory is that jazz as a whole has a tiny audience nationwide. Jazz seems strongest in cities like NYC or SF, which have a large population and/or a history with jazz.

Even Houston's jazz scene is small for a metro with 5M people (although I saw Max Roach, Sonny Rollins, and others when I lived in Houston in the early 1980s.

I hope the OP is successful with jazz in Austin. I listen to jazz about half the time I listen to music.
I so appreciate your good vibes! I sing the good stuff with a good voice so if I end up in Austin know that it will be with the songs from the twenties through the forties that we all love the best including some obscure gems

Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I like Jazz too. My younger sister LOVES it! She lives in Dallas and sees groups all the time, but I'm not sure how big the scene in Dallas is. I think she was born in the wrong era. She and her husband live in a remodeled 1920's bungalow in Lower Greenville and it's retained the feel inside of the 20's, and she always has Jazz on the stereo.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
I'm a composer - not personally a jazz musician but I have a very strong appreciation for it and studied it quite a bit back when I was in music school when I thought I might want to be a jazz guitarist . I do have several friends who are active in the scene and while there is not a robust community in Austin, there are some very strong players. My friend and his wife (who is a singer) regularly host a concert series in their home that is just fantastic, bringing in a variety of well-regarded national jazz musicians. I prefer that hands down to any club - the sound is better, people are quiet and listen to the music and then interact with the musicians personally. It's a really great alternative when the actual club scene is limited.

I was disappointed about the lack of Jazz here in Austin when I first moved here but I've learned to find it where/when I want it. We need more Jazz musicians to grow the scene anyway so maybe it's a good time to come here and add your point of view to the mix!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I like Jazz too. My younger sister LOVES it! She lives in Dallas and sees groups all the time, but I'm not sure how big the scene in Dallas is. I think she was born in the wrong era. She and her husband live in a remodeled 1920's bungalow in Lower Greenville and it's retained the feel inside of the 20's, and she always has Jazz on the stereo.
How cool is your sister! Wonderful!!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I'm a composer - not personally a jazz musician but I have a very strong appreciation for it and studied it quite a bit back when I was in music school when I thought I might want to be a jazz guitarist . I do have several friends who are active in the scene and while there is not a robust community in Austin, there are some very strong players. My friend and his wife (who is a singer) regularly host a concert series in their home that is just fantastic, bringing in a variety of well-regarded national jazz musicians. I prefer that hands down to any club - the sound is better, people are quiet and listen to the music and then interact with the musicians personally. It's a really great alternative when the actual club scene is limited.

I was disappointed about the lack of Jazz here in Austin when I first moved here but I've learned to find it where/when I want it. We need more Jazz musicians to grow the scene anyway so maybe it's a good time to come here and add your point of view to the mix!
What a lovely and loving thing your friends have created! I thank you for your warm encouragement

Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
You might check this website out it might be of some help

Austin Jazz Society | Austin, TX

Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
You might check this website out it might be of some help

Austin Jazz Society | Austin, TX
Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin