Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times

Advertisements

Many thanks to all of the parents who have contributed their perspective on the various private school options in the Austin-area.

Our son is almost two - while it may seem obnoxious to some that we're already thinking about Kindergarten for him, we've gotten bitten in the backside by waiting on day care and preschool decisions and I'm resolved not to let it happen when it comes to elementary school.

We're interested in sending him to private school. We'd like something academically rigorous and denomination is somewhat less important. We'd really prefer something with after school care onsite. And when I say after school, I'm not talking 2:30 in the afternoon - I work outside the home and would ideally like to pick up our son around 5 PM.

We currently live in SW Austin but both my husband and I work NW so location is also not much of an issue for us. I was disappointed to learn St. Andrew's doesn't have kindergarten and enjoyed the open house at Regent's but, again, was saddened to learn there was no after school (or only 2x week IIRC). Abercorn's after school is only until 4:30.

Any thoughts and or suggestions? If anyone has small children attending these schools how did you handle this?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
St. Andrews after school has worked very well for us, but, as you mention, there is no kindergarten. Some of the local day care services pick up at school. I know a couple picked up at Casis....may want to see if pickup is available at your local school.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
St. Francis School has an excellent kindergarten program (as well as pre-K) and offers aftercare until 6 pm.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:22 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
i have a lot of friends that love magellan.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,358 times
Default Private School - Kindergarten + After School?

We are applying to Regents and have the same problem finding after school care. So far I have only found a small Martial Arts place off of 290 and also Star Center Gymnastics willing to pick up from Regents. Star Center has ~100 after school kids and I think one or two are Regents kids. It feels like the only way your child can attend sometimes is if one parent quits working just to shuttle them back and forth. Please post again if you find other options.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM

I just emailed the owner at Mu Sool Won (a martial arts place) to see if they would pick up from Regents and they said they could, too. I'm going to check it out if we are accepted at Regents. Looks like they are bigger than the first martial arts place I looked at and have more instructors.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
i have a lot of friends that love magellan.
We are going with Magellan for our 3 year old (to be) starting next fall. I hear very good things as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM

Update: The Mu Sool Won place says they can't fit Regents into their pick-up schedule now.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
You know got to say we loved the Primrose for kinder. Even though you think day care our son was well prepared for school, they even asked if we wanted to skip a grade. We were there for two years, had the same teacher both years so she really got to know the kids. It ws q very small class and besides the normal after school care, they offered piano and several other after school classes you could enroll in. I understand the stereotype they fall into and my other son was in private school in SA but they far exceeded my expectations. This was the location on 1431 by the home depot. I think the same couple runs the one on little elm in Cedar Park.
Good luck

Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 AM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
We are trying St Francis for pre-K next year. I am not sure whether or not we will keep our daughter there for kindergarten or not, but their aftercare goes to a reasonable time (6 PM) for working parents. We live and work Northwest and it is not far for us; also the St Francis tuition was extremely reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin