Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,919 times

Advertisements

We need to figure out our homeowners insurance ASAP as the lenders need it. I've gotten a few quotes with Allstate the most expensive and Travelers the least expensive by about $500. Statefarm came in 2nd, lower than Allstate by about $150. All the quotes have pretty much the same coverage.

We are not very familiar with Travelers but the #s from them make the most sense for same coverage.
any negative feedback on Travelers that anyone has?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Try Germania. It's a Texas-only insurer, primarily rural but they will insure houses in town and they have at least one office in Austin.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
With all due respect to Texas based firms, Watkins Insurance Agency is an independent(Texas based) agency who can shop around for the best coverage for the best price. Unless something is totally strange, combining Auto and Homeowners is almost always a money saver.

COCUE, anyone at Watkins can help you; but I can give you the number of 'our' agent on their staff if you wish. They can get back to you in 24 hours or less with a number of recommendations based on the coverage you seek. Based on what I know of your search, I'd say you should be in the $750-1100 range depending on coverages(actually the low half of that range).

Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
With all due respect to Texas based firms, Watkins Insurance Agency is an independent(Texas based) agency who can shop around for the best coverage for the best price. Unless something is totally strange, combining Auto and Homeowners is almost always a money saver.

COCUE, anyone at Watkins can help you; but I can give you the number of 'our' agent on their staff if you wish. They can get back to you in 24 hours or less with a number of recommendations based on the coverage you seek. Based on what I know of your search, I'd say you should be in the $750-1100 range depending on coverages(actually the low half of that range).

I echo the idea that you should talk to an independent insurance agent. I recommend Phylis Benjamin, Benjamin-Fry Insurance, 512-212-7185. When State Farm raised my home owners rates this spring, due to losses elsewhere in the state, I ended up saving around $1,000/year with Safeco*, recommended by Benjamin-Fry.

*Home owners, landlord and auto (2 car) policies.

With Safeco my homeowners Ins is $776/yr, where St. Farm, who I had been with since 1981 with no claims, wanted to raise it to $1166/year.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 PM

155 posts, read 211,493 times
+1 for Watkins Insurance Agency.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks all. I will be reaching out to an independent agent given that the premiums quoted were quite more expensive than Rick's estimate

Old 11-25-2013, 09:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I recommend Germania because, while we used an independent agent for years before we signed on with them, and that agent got us the absolute best rate they could, when we signed on with Germania our rates for the rent house in town dropped dramatically, and our auto insurance rates plummeted by two-thirds, and that was WITH a male teenaged driver in the household. (We have house, farm, and auto insurance with them now.) When we bought the ranch, we got the usual phone calls from insurance agents telling us they heard we just bought the place and they guaranteed they could get us better rates and who were we with. I'd say Germania, there'd be a long silence, and then "Never mind." One stayed on the line long enough to say, "Germania is a different breed of cat," and that there was no way they could meet, never mind beat, their rates.

Just as important (maybe moreso) is that when we had a claim on our house in Austin, there was no muss, no fuss, and within three days we received a check in the mail for the damage, and our rates did not go up. When the F5 came through out here, I got a call from our agent asking if he could bring an adjuster by because he knew there'd been hail on our side of I35 and they wanted to make sure for us that there wasn't hail damage we would want to make a claim on (they were busy enough with the tornado damage, but he showed up with the adjuster nonetheless).

Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
We have had Travelers for home and auto for years and they have been exceptional, and the least expensive for the same amount of coverage. We've had hail claims on both the home and the car and they paid out with no issue. We use Ed Stubblefield of American Casualty Insurance. http://www.acitx.com/ (And for what it's worth, my family had Travelers for health insurance when I was younger and they paid out on HUGE surgery claims for me)

Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
We use The Hartford through AARP but I think I'm going to be looking into Germania! Hartford (AARP) beat out Allstate and another main stream carrier when I was shopping for homeowners ins. I admit, since moving to TX we have not shopped our auto.
Hartford has been very good to us even with a teenage male and a stolen car a few years back. Now that teenager is no longer an issue but next year his sister will be

Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM

THL, Celeste and Mamacatnv - thanks a bunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin