Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM

15 posts, read 122,567 times

Advertisements

Hi we are on mission to move outta of NYC , so a friend told me to look into Austin T.X.So if you live here can you help us pull together some neighborhoods to look into that we can rent a house , have good schools for our kids, and a close city job for me. I'm even willing to go as far as 1/2 hour outside Austin as long as I could communite by bus into the city to work.I hate driving because of city traffic.Also can you tell me all about Austin good and bad .Places to stay away from with crime etc.
P.S. do they have AC in the buses etc too ? Oh and do the schools drop off your kids at your home by bus ? Moms can you tell me how much childcare costs say Mon-Fri- 7AM To 5PM or 6 PM? Any information would help my research .Even share you pics too :] Thank You !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
You need to start by using the search function. The vast majority of your questions have been discussed repeatedly. There is no "best" place - it will depend on what your line of work is, and where you end up working. Tying yourself to public transport will dramatically narrow your availability. And by dramatic, I mean reduce to effectively zero.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
What Ez said!

Also note that if you live within 2 miles of a school, including elementary, most districts do not provide bus service, kids have to walk or be driven by their parents. Yes public transit buses are air-conditioned. Five day a week childcare for an infant could easily run $1200 a month, prices drop with age of the child, 4 years-old, full time? $750-950 a month.

Rental houses are hard to come by, expect to spend at least $1500 for a house in an outlying area, to be on a bus line? Closer to $2000.

Job market can be tough, we have 100,000 college students in the area who create a lot of competition for entry level jobs, depending on the field, higher level jobs are tend to be highly competitive.

Use the search function and do some research and come for visit before you jump! I do not think that Austin is the utopia you are looking for.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Hi I just looked up Capital Metro they have good reviews.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Thank you for your information, that helps alot.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Guzman View Post
Hi we are on mission to move outta of NYC , so a friend told me to look into Austin T.X.So if you live here can you help us pull together some neighborhoods to look into that we can rent a house , have good schools for our kids, and a close city job for me. I'm even willing to go as far as 1/2 hour outside Austin as long as I could communite by bus into the city to work.I hate driving because of city traffic.Also can you tell me all about Austin good and bad .Places to stay away from with crime etc.
P.S. do they have AC in the buses etc too ? Oh and do the schools drop off your kids at your home by bus ? Moms can you tell me how much childcare costs say Mon-Fri- 7AM To 5PM or 6 PM? Any information would help my research .Even share you pics too :] Thank You !

Welcome to Texas! Austin, while a great place, is NOT great for public transportation. And if traffic annoys you, well...you may not like Austin. It's not NY or LA, BOS bad, but it's pretty bad for a city it's size. Rent...well that's a whole other ball of wax. Not NYC expensive per/sq ft., but it's up there.

Austin is great for the slow pace, the laid back vibe, good food, great music, and a whole TIER below the stress levels of NY (in general). The bad, well...traffic as mentioned, rent, traffic, construction, traffic, public transportation, traffic and oh yeah...traffic.

You want to stay away from the far East side, and SE Austin (in general) not b/c it's a super high crime area, but there are parts that are and you can easily drive/walk into one w/out noticing.

As mentioned, if you're close they'll have to walk. And in the late spring/early summer it's brutal (mid May-early September 95*+). Day care's vary depending on the level of care you want. If you want camera's and text status updates, etc., be prepared to shell out some serious cash. I believe most after 6pm also start charging per the minute if you're late.

Do you have jobs that you'd be transferring to? If not, that would be the #1 thing I would start searching for first. Austin is tight on labor right now. Just my $.02.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Thank you :] and yes I heard the traffic is a killer , I'm thinking about opening a licensed daycare and looking to rent a house to begin in a nice area.Do you happen to know of any names of neighborhoods that may have more families? I 've been in the business in NYC along with other trades .Do you know how much weekly they charge for kids ? I've heard somewhere from about $200 and up for five days .Does that number sound correct ? In the child care business you could never be poor , babies are born every second and if your good at what you do , you can make great money.Do they lose power alot there because of the heat ? I would love the warm weather and slower pace ..We have traveled to a few areas in other states to see prior , but we didn't like them to live in.So we are still searching this year.I would def fly there first and stay for a week or two to rent a home and begin the licensing process if I found it was the place for us.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
My daughter was paying $220 a week per child for her 2 children. This was in a woman's home in north Austin around the Parmer lane/Loop One area. The woman took a few weeks off a year and the $220 each was due even when she took time off. I guess that was why the price was lower than most charged.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn Guzman View Post
Thank you :] and yes I heard the traffic is a killer , I'm thinking about opening a licensed daycare and looking to rent a house to begin in a nice area.Do you happen to know of any names of neighborhoods that may have more families? I 've been in the business in NYC along with other trades .Do you know how much weekly they charge for kids ? I've heard somewhere from about $200 and up for five days .Does that number sound correct ? In the child care business you could never be poor , babies are born every second and if your good at what you do , you can make great money.Do they lose power alot there because of the heat ? I would love the warm weather and slower pace ..We have traveled to a few areas in other states to see prior , but we didn't like them to live in.So we are still searching this year.I would def fly there first and stay for a week or two to rent a home and begin the licensing process if I found it was the place for us.
You're going to have a very difficult time finding any rental property that would allow you to operate a business on the premises - particualrly in-home child care. There's just too much liability risk for most landlords to accept.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Liability insurance is covered by the licensed daycare per child.. you would be suprized what one yrs rent up front can get you. they always say that in every state but money talks.Plus in some states you can babysit up to 3 children without a license too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin