Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM

23 posts, read 34,789 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I will be relocating to Austin in March or April. We are going in January to explore the area for 4 days and check out apartments. I really have NO IDEA where to start other than rent.com and a few google searches. We both work remotely so job/location is not a real issue. However, we are young (late 20's/early 30's) and want to be close (ideally walkable/bike) to things to do. Not drinkers, enjoy the occasional bar, dinners out, coffee shops, shops, parks, etc.

I think ideally downtown would have the most to offer, but we are open to any location in Austin that is fun and walkable. We are looking for a 2/2 and have a pretty decent budget $1600-$1700, however I'm finding most places to be around $1850-$2200 that I'm looking at. I'm not sure we want to spend that if it won't really be worth it. There's gotta be somewhere out there that fits our needs! Here is a list of apartments I hope to visit, any thoughts on them would be greatly appreciated as well as any other suggestions. Thank you!!

How is Ladera Vista? I know it's not Downtown, but is it close enough to things to do? The rent is spot on, and the reviews are GREAT!

1. Elements at Mueller - This seems to be my #1 choice, seems like a good location and price is okay
2. Bell Austin Southwest - great reviews, decent walks score, but how is the area in your opinion?
3. Bell Quarry Hill - any advice here?
4. The 704 - brand new, out of budget, but would it be worth it?
5. Midtown Commons - new, in budget, but would living next to train be awful? Is the area safe?
6. Residences at the Domain - in budget, lots of shopping right outside doorstep, but bad reviews

Help!!

Last edited by kcoady926; 12-12-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Work with an apartment locator -- free to you and the best way to find a place when you are new to town. They are legit. There are many, the one I used to find my first place in Austin 20+ years ago is still in business, Habitat Hunters.

Re: Midtown Commons, the train is quiet, area safe

Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 AM

171 posts, read 255,568 times
The Bell SW feels like its in the middle of nowhere because of the aquifer. There is less retail over there because of it. They are also building section 8 "projects" across the street from it - 140 units / 3 stories. Not good for the area. It's alos next to Bowie HS so there's going to be kids all over that palce. I'd avoid it.

Look on South Lamar, TONS of stuff going up there, and your sure to find something.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times
I wouldn't consider either of the Bell developments, based on your "fun and walkable" comment. But since you don't have to live close to work, I'd think hard about any near town location - you will be paying, in a large part, for work proximity that doesn't matter to you. Yes, part is closeness to downtown nightlife. Bigger part is work proximity.

I'd recommend you consider the apartments at Hill Country Galleria. We lived there while we were building. Walkable to bars, restaurants, shopping, movies, Whole Foods. Nice new development with covered parking. Yes - it is suburban. Yes - it is a drive into town. But you won't find perfection, and it seems to be a nice balance of what matters to you.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Re: Midtown Commons, the train is quiet, area safe
Sorry, but that far north and east end of Crestview remains sketchy. That stretch of Lamar is not what I would call walkable, especially at night. It's getting gentrified, but as long as the two flop house motels, homeless camp, and uh "business folks" remain, it's not a stretch of road I'd recommend to someone new to town looking for the walkable things the OP is interested in. I own multiple properties in Crestview so I'm aware of what's happening in that area. The MidTown Commons complex itself is nice though.

OP, you should probably look at the Amli 5350 building on Burnet Road as well as the multiple new developments on south Lamar.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I'd recommend you consider the apartments at Hill Country Galleria. We lived there while we were building. Walkable to bars, restaurants, shopping, movies, Whole Foods. Nice new development with covered parking. Yes - it is suburban. Yes - it is a drive into town. But you won't find perfection, and it seems to be a nice balance of what matters to you.
This is the polar opposite location of what a young person desiring a city lifestyle would be looking for.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
This is the polar opposite location of what a young person desiring a city lifestyle would be looking for.
As defined by you. Read what the OP is looking for, and what their constraints are, before you inject your biases:

Quote:
We both work remotely so job/location is not a real issue.
Check

Quote:
want to be close (ideally walkable/bike) to things to do. Not drinkers, enjoy the occasional bar, dinners out, coffee shops, shops, parks, etc.
Check

Quote:
open to any location in Austin that is fun and walkable. We are looking for a 2/2 and have a pretty decent budget $1600-$1700,
Check

YOU injected "what a young person desiring a city lifestyle" - not the OP.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
As defined by you. Read what the OP is looking for, and what their constraints are, before you inject your biases:

Check

Check

Check

YOU injected "what a young person desiring a city lifestyle" - not the OP.
Let's see ... "fun and walkable" for young folks. Downtown mentioned multiple times and even in the title. Style of apartments they mentioned. Time after time you prove that you have no understanding of what kids in this age group are looking for when they mention certain things and the reasons they're moving to Austin. Perhaps someday you will stop pushing your Plano-esque cheap clone suburb agenda on people are seeking the exact opposite of those things.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Sorry, but that far north and east end of Crestview remains sketchy. That stretch of Lamar is not what I would call walkable, especially at night. It's getting gentrified, but as long as the two flop house motels, homeless camp, and uh "business folks" remain, it's not a stretch of road I'd recommend to someone new to town looking for the walkable things the OP is interested in. I own multiple properties in Crestview so I'm aware of what's happening in that area. The MidTown Commons complex itself is nice though.

OP, you should probably look at the Amli 5350 building on Burnet Road as well as the multiple new developments on south Lamar.

Well, I said it was safe and I stand by that, even with a certain sketchy element around, rates of violent crime in the area are low. Hang on to those properties -- you will make a mint as real estate values are only going up. I've seen properties that are which were in the $80-160K range five years ago sell for $200-325K! Twelve years ago your description of flop house motels, homeless camps and "business folk" applied to S. Congress!

Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Well, I said it was safe and I stand by that, even with a certain sketchy element around, rates of violent crime in the area are low. Hang on to those properties -- you will make a mint as real estate values are only going up. I've seen properties that are which were in the $80-160K range five years ago sell for $200-325K! Twelve years ago your description of flop house motels, homeless camps and "business folk" applied to S. Congress!
Oh yeah --- don't I know it. It's an area we've believed in for a long time and it's so exciting to see what's happening there (and not just from the personal financial aspect.) That particular stretch of Lamar just doesn't yet have many of the walkable amenities that people looking for those kinds of things want. Many businesses still cater to the unsavory element. The transient population has become pretty aggressive there as the murder of a resident of the gated apartment community kitty corner to the Midtown Commons by a transient last July showed. So yeah, still lots of improvement to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: