Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM

103 posts, read 149,142 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both places?

We might be moving back to the Mpls/St. Paul. We were young when we lived there; no kids, so I feel like we are newbies now looking at it from the point of view of having a family.

We currently live in a SW neighborhood in Oak Hill area. This is a great part of town for us. Good schools but not overly pretentious, driving distance from lots of parks, anything fun about Austin, and just in general a pretty area (green, trees, hills).

Previously we lived in Round Rock. Nothing wrong with Round Rock, but it was just not the best fit. Felt more suburban, far removed from the culture of Austin....far removed from the "feel" of Austin, etc.

Debating which area we would move to in Twin Cities...was focusing on the western burbs like Minnetonka, etc. But we will have family north of the metro, so I'm curious about the New Brighton/Mounds View area.

What we don't want is another Round Rock. But we don't need hip and urban either. Just don't want to feel SO FAR removed from the culture of the cities.

For some reason I have it in my head that New Brighton would be like the Round Rock of the Twin Cities area and the south/western suburbs more like where we are now.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 AM

327 posts, read 771,287 times
I never lived there but I have been to Minneapolis. The only similarity that I can think of is they both have I-35. Other than that, they seem pretty different.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Ha! Yes, they do have 35 in common. I would be terribly sad to leave Austin and go back there but we may have to. Mpls/St. Paul is great in so many ways and we'd be near family but it is SO FREAKING COLD.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,458,827 times
I have never personally lived in MSP, but have a ton of family up that way.

Will you be working in MSP? Where? I have family in Anoka and St. Cloud on that side of the cities, and although St. Cloud is likely further than you want to travel, Anoka is kind of a neat area. On the StP side, I have family in Woodbury, but that seems a bit more of typical suburbia to me.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Job would be downtown Mpls.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM

155 posts, read 210,687 times
I've lived in Minneapolis in the University area close to St. Anthony falls and downtown. If I were to move back to Mpls, I'd consider the western suburbs too - was never a fan of Roseville, New Brighton or other northern suburbs. The western suburbs are prettier and closer to the main attractions of Mpls. I like both Minnetonka and Plymouth.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 PM

326 posts, read 681,999 times
What about Edina? I've heard pretty nice things about it. It's probably the only place I'd consider in the Minneapolis area.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM

440 posts, read 711,395 times
Minnetonka is gorgeous; I have family there. I can't compare it with Oak Hill except to say that there's a lot of green space - only the MN green space is really and truly green. I have no idea what the commute would be like, though; if you or someone you know has worked at IBM or 3M, both of which sent a lot of MN transplants to Austin, you might want to join "alumni" groups on LinkedIn or similar and ask around.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
Minnetonka is gorgeous; I have family there. I can't compare it with Oak Hill except to say that there's a lot of green space - only the MN green space is really and truly green. I have no idea what the commute would be like, though; if you or someone you know has worked at IBM or 3M, both of which sent a lot of MN transplants to Austin, you might want to join "alumni" groups on LinkedIn or similar and ask around.
Good to know about Minnetonka and green space. Was thinking about how much I'd miss the "space" in Austin. Twin Cities area is much more dense, generally. Now been considering Eden Prairie; further commute than I was hoping for, but supposed to be a great area for families.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:23 PM

15,242 posts, read 35,458,827 times
The hike-n-bike trails along the Mississippi are awesome, you can actually commute (when it isn't snowbound!) on a bike from pretty significant distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin