Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
The only issue I take with anything you said is here. OHAN does not represent the property owner in any of these places - it is an association of HOA corporations, not the involuntary members of those corporations. The HOA corporations (like any other corporation) act in the interests of the controlling interests of their boards, not the interests of the involuntary members and it is a fallacy to suggest otherwise.
Most of the OHAN member associations are neighborhood associations - not HOAs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 PM

440 posts, read 714,541 times
A good many of the OHAN members are HOAs - not NAs.

I can see that the impulse to build something, anything, is pretty strong. It's a definite
middle finger salute to the CofA and SOS.

But make no mistake - this is not part of an outer loop. There is no more outer loop.
There will be no additional connectivity west of FM 1826 to, say, US 290 or SH 71.
There is no direct connect across I-35 to SH 130 which might actually have been a good thing.

There are no cost estimates to building out the Mopac main lanes from its current
terminus at SH 45 north over LaCrosse and Slaughter - which will happen once SH 45
SW increases both the number of vehicles driving on this segment of northbound Mopac.

I still remain unconvinced that this is a good thing. I'd rather have a bake sale to help
fund the interchange at the Y in Oak Hill.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
A good many of the OHAN members are HOAs - not NAs.

I can see that the impulse to build something, anything, is pretty strong. It's a definite
middle finger salute to the CofA and SOS.

But make no mistake - this is not part of an outer loop. There is no more outer loop.
There will be no additional connectivity west of FM 1826 to, say, US 290 or SH 71.
There is no direct connect across I-35 to SH 130 which might actually have been a good thing.

There are no cost estimates to building out the Mopac main lanes from its current
terminus at SH 45 north over LaCrosse and Slaughter - which will happen once SH 45
SW increases both the number of vehicles driving on this segment of northbound Mopac.

I still remain unconvinced that this is a good thing. I'd rather have a bake sale to help
fund the interchange at the Y in Oak Hill.
You obviously have an anti-SW45 agenda, and a more general opposition to adding road capacity. You've stated your reasons, and received a big raspberry from many reasoned CDers.

Accept that others disagree, that there is no bandwagon to jump on here, and stop trying to convince others of your correctness and our ignorance. I mean, I think we're all accepting of different views, but at this point, you're beating a dead horse.

For me, if a buyer asks "what about Shady Hollow", the conversation immediately, without delay, becomes one of traffic and whether said buyer possesses an extremely high tolerance of severe traffic congestion.

Brodie/Slaughter is terrible, getting worse, and if people like you had their way, will stay that way indefinitely. So I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish in this thread.

Steve

Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Accept that others disagree, that there is no bandwagon to jump on here, and stop trying to convince others of your correctness and our ignorance. I mean, I think we're all accepting of different views, but at this point, you're beating a dead horse.

Steve
Really, Steve? Somehow I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
But every time a new and needed artery or highway is proposed, a bunch of crybabies start protesting and claiming we don't need it, or that it hurts the environment, or that it costs too much, etc. They often "win", and delay or kill needed projects like 45 SW and the interchange at the Y in Oak Hill.

Steve

Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Well, Steve is correct even though his choice of words may not sit well with some.

The "no roads" crowd will then turn around and complain about the air pollution from the traffic jams.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 AM

12 posts, read 17,142 times
The anti-SH45 campaign is a 78739 protectionist agenda. The same people opposing SH45 are the most vocal critics of the I-35/SH130 swap as well. Traffic from 1626/I-35 will be diverted on to their "private" Mopac. This offends people who bought houses with a 50% markup because of a false promise that their area was protected and that they we're special people for being allowed to live there. There is growing economic parity moving eastward through Austin as our city expands, and this challenges the notion of exceptionalism that people in some areas have.

on the topic of SHady Hollow - How did SH/Bear Creek get roped into district 8/Oak Hill like that? They've forfeited the validiity of their opinion on the matter as far as the city council is concerned. I bet it was done intentionally to dilute their opposition. The people of Circle C roped in Bear Creek by telling them that "rich people" had to stick together, and now CC is going to try to eff them over by blocking SH45 and Brodie traffic relief. Well played - appeal to peoples egos, and then you screw them.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Really, Steve? Somehow I don't think that word means what you think it means.
What you quote me saying is factually accurate. It's known history that almost every road expansion project in Austin receives strong opposition from environmentalists and neighborhood groups. The Y in Oak Hill in fact does not have the freeway interchange that was approved in the 1980s.

45 SW is in fact still not built.

What "word" do I not know the meaning of? Acceptance? That was referring to the fact that Austin CD forums, more than many online forums, offers a fairly open and cordial (mostly) place for people to express opinions and views. The forums are "accepting of different views", but at some point, in most threads, an OP advocating for the point of view for which the thread was started ought to be able to see that there is little support for the viewpoint held forth and take note instead of arguing the same points endlessly to those who disagree. At some point we listen, hear other viewpoints, and agree to disagree.

Bottom line, the vast majority of citizens living in the areas directly affected by the lack of road capacity in South Austin do in fact want 45 SW to be built. Some don't. Fair enough. But the reasons and rationale for opposing it don't withstand honest debate.

Steve

Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjawed View Post
The anti-SH45 campaign is a 78739 protectionist agenda.

on the topic of SHady Hollow - How did SH/Bear Creek get roped into district 8/Oak Hill like that?
Holy cow, dude. What size tin foil hat do you wear?

1. Shady Hollow isn't in the city, so they didn't get "roped into" any district.

2. I live in 78739, and I think we need to build this, now. The Circle C HOA voted, along with every other member neighborhood association in Oak Hill, to support SH 45. So much for your conspiracy theory.

The rest of that rant about "exceptionalism", etc., is simply expression of an unbelievable level of bias and prejudice.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Wow, kids!!! Don't make me stop this car!!!

Yet ANOTHER reason we happily reside on the north north fringe of Austin...where highways get built and folks can move about. Y'all DID finally connect one of those un-completed rampy flyover thingies that was built over FIVE years ago when we first arrived...didn't you?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Wow, kids!!! Don't make me stop this car!!!

Yet ANOTHER reason we happily reside on the north north fringe of Austin...where highways get built and folks can move about. Y'all DID finally connect one of those un-completed rampy flyover thingies that was built over FIVE years ago when we first arrived...didn't you?
Yea, after the low bidder went so low they bankrupted themselves and the bonding company had to find someone else to complete it ... Last one was done just about a year ago this week.

Y'all north didn't have the temerity to want to live in the hallowed grounds of a certain vocal segment of the Austin community. That's why roads that have been planned for, and approved for twenty years, remain uncompleted. Always a new spanner in the works. A certain cross y'all don't have to bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin