Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Ha! Classic.

In the event that one of our high paid Mods (whose chief function is to follow the instructions from a first time poster) actually deletes her post, here's the translation:

Oh....& peel me a grape (if you miss the point of this task).
Oh that's right on and too, too funny... on both accounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
I'm a recently transplanted mom of a high school Freshman who does not like athletics, band, dance or any of the other gazillion competitive sports type activities that seem to dominate the school landscape here. We settled into Leander ISD quite happily.

I will add this. Our first year in Texas, DD's 8th grade year, was spent in a rural community outside of Austin with a very small school system. Lesson learned, we hated it. We hated the small town, the lack of things to do, places to go eat, shop etc. We were outsiders, felt like outsiders and just didn't fit. Electives and activities in the school system that were not related to athletics or livestock were pretty much non existent. Don't get me wrong, this was a well rated, exemplary Texas school but it just was not the type of environment we could adapt too. We did our homework and thought the exemplary rating was what we wanted. After a year, we moved towards Austin, into a suburb with Leander ISD schools and love it.

I was told that Stony Point in Round Rock was a "rough school". The Leander middle/high schools all have plusses and minuses but they all seem to have good reputations overall.

Moving is tough on everyone. Finding a fit for my one kid was tough, good luck with a fit for all your kids.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I can say with certainty that Lake Travis, as good as it is in sports, is an excellent academic school. Its theater arts and visual arts programs are excellent. Do not simply assume that strong athletics mean the school doesn't value or excel at other things.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 AM

45 posts, read 57,018 times
I have six boys and we just recently moved here from Florida. My husband works in southwest Austin and we wanted to avoid a long commute. We decided on Dripping Springs and couldn't be happier! The schools/community has been great! My boys all play a variety of sports and are involved in music as well. We've also been impressed with the academics. We live closer to Austin so there is some driving involved but it's certainly been worth it.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:17 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What makes you say that? There are people who live in those areas that could afford to live in the LT area, easily.
The average home in the LT area is well over $400k and the average home in Pflugerville is around $170k and Hutto is under $150k... big difference between prices, so maybe the assumption is wrong, but it's not off base.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,947 times
Sounded like sports was more important than academics based on the post. There will always be a little favoritism from coaches, but seems that most really try to be fair so they can win. I get tired of hearing parents complain so much about their kids not getting treated fairly in sports. Don't hear too many complain about getting a bad grade on a test though. Funny if you ask me.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerboys View Post
I have six boys and we just recently moved here from Florida. My husband works in southwest Austin and we wanted to avoid a long commute. We decided on Dripping Springs and couldn't be happier! The schools/community has been great! My boys all play a variety of sports and are involved in music as well. We've also been impressed with the academics. We live closer to Austin so there is some driving involved but it's certainly been worth it.

I second Dripping Springs if you work in south southwest Austin.

I didn't go there or have kids that when there but I have always been close enough to have friends go there and they rave about the school.

I went to Austin High way back in the late 70's, right when Punk Rock hit the stage and Disco was phasing out.
Austin High is a very diverse High school. More so than any other in Austin.
South, West and East Austin attended when I went there. We all loved it.

This is the only high school in Austin, that practices busing and desegregation, still.

Southeast Austin, is the Barrio. West Austin is the high falut'n state rep and senators kids. Northeast Austin is the Ghettos in parts. Central Austin is changing to yuppiville. With south Austin, just across the river being the old hippy settlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin