Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 90,899 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior at a Florida university graduating in May with a degree in Advertising/Public Relations and Psychology. I have a good share of experience from doing 5 internships with some reputable brands, and I'll be graduating with no student debt and small bit of money saved up. I've always been interested in moving to a big popular city like New York, but now due to some change in events I am considering moving to Austin when I graduate. I've done a little research and Austin seems like a nice up-and-coming kind of place. Can anyone tell me what the PR/Communications/Marketing job market is like? I'm from Orlando, and Austin is a lot bigger in comparison, but there are a lot of major corporations in Orlando. My greatest fear would be to move there and not be able to find a job. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
There are a lot of jobs in the field, but you are competing with graduates from the Univ. of Texas (over 50,000 students) and Texas State Univ. (35,000 students). Both schools have a large Mass Comm department with specific advertising and PR concentrations. So you will have A LOT, and I mean A LOT, of competition. This competition also has internships under their belt but with the added advantage that they were local. A lot of grads coming out of these schools also already have connections here and the benefit of being considered for positions by fellow alums from these schools.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
There are a lot of jobs in the field, but you are competing with graduates from the Univ. of Texas (over 50,000 students) and Texas State Univ. (35,000 students). Both schools have a large Mass Comm department with specific advertising and PR concentrations. So you will have A LOT, and I mean A LOT, of competition. This competition also has internships under their belt but with the added advantage that they were local. A lot of grads coming out of these schools also already have connections here and the benefit of being considered for positions by fellow alums from these schools.
100% correct. Austin is not an easy town for a new grad from out-of-state to break into the field.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,314,852 times
Job first then move.

Really I would try to find the biggest baddest agency that will have you and then move (on your dime most likely) to where ever they want you. The bigger agencies have offices in most large cities so after a few years you may be able to transfer.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,440 times
THIS.

Quote:
AND THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Job first then move.

Really I would try to find the biggest baddest agency that will have you and then move (on your dime most likely) to where ever they want you. The bigger agencies have offices in most large cities so after a few years you may be able to transfer.
As someone who has been in this field specifically for 15+ years, I'll tell you the best thing you can do for your career is land a job -- ANY job -- at a larger, well-known agency. (There is only one of those agencies here and by advertising standards, they aren't huge and thus keep a relatively trim employee count.) Or, find a client-side job at the biggest well-known company you can find.

Because of the competition here with recent grads and the fact that Austin is not that large thus doesn't have the breadth and depth of agencies, nor huge companies headquartered here (where mktg and adv functions only exist), as other other big cites do, I would look elsewhere first where you can cast a wider net.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the valuable insight! I'm surprised I actually got good replies so quickly. So from what I understand, it's do-able in Austin, but there will be tough competition? Mainly I'd like to know if the area is good for the field. I know places like NY or LA would be no problem for PR, but I was wondering about a place like Austin. I know lots of people move to NYC and other large cities to pursue PR, and that used to be where I saw myself headed. And for that I knew there would be tough competition from local NY students also. Is the difference being that the PR/Comm job market is not as big in Austin? I'm willing to work hard, but I'd want to know during my consideration phase if it is basically impossible. My motivations for moving are for family reasons, so it's more about trying to make it work for me in Austin than Austin as a place I'm considering, if that makes any sense.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieC92 View Post
So from what I understand, it's do-able in Austin, but there will be tough competition?
Quote:
Mainly I'd like to know if the area is good for the field. I know places like NY or LA would be no problem for PR, but I was wondering about a place like Austin.
Quote:
Is the difference being that the PR/Comm job market is not as big in Austin?
Did you miss my reply? I responded to each of these specific points in my previous post.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Hi Idlewile, I apologize. I was checking the thread on my phone and I missed the last two posts, probably because my phone is a little laggy. It really looks as if I will be making the move to Austin sometime mid to late next year due to family reasons. Do you have any advice then for a new PR grad in my situation? The outlook, from what you said, seems bleak, but I can't really think of another option and I feel stuck.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM

If Austin is now your sole option, I would still do the same things if you were looking at a bigger city.

Make sure your resume sets you apart and is well-written -- especially crucial for someone wanting to land a job in PR, Communications or MKtg. LinkedIn is especially big for these areas -- build your network.

Start saving searches (which are then emailed to you daily) on Indeed for Austin with appropriate key words so you can actually see who is hiring the positions you would be qualified/interested in.

Check out http://austinama.org/ and PRSA Austin Chapter.

Austin is not the kind of place you can really network in without living here, especially as an undergrad... mainly because it's smaller and, as mentioned, there's a lot of competition from undergrads majoring in the same area as you who are here right now working as interns etc. Do your best to soak up info by doing your research -- opportunity and chances to network usually arise merely from being a research hound. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 AM

440 posts, read 714,258 times
For all the hype Austin doesn't have very many corporate HQs here. Dallas, Houston and possibly San Antonio would be better choices. Or do some searching on LinkedIn to see who's working here and where they went to school; and who went to your school and where they're now working. It simply amazes me how many online resources the young 'uns have today; how much good advice they get and yet they still do not seem to make use of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin