Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,138 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to the North Austin area and are looking for a great school district that has a Gold or Silver Level USA swimming club nearby, as well as, a good High School Swim Team. My sons currently swim with Nation's Capital Swim Club and are looking for a competitive club where they can continue their training. We have family that recently moved to Georgetown, and would like to be close. Any thoughts on Leander, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Round Rock, etc. Which has the better school district? We would like a master planned community that has a community pool and local swim team for our younger boys. 200K-400K range?? My husband will work from home and will occasionally have to travel back to DC. So, the only commute will be to the airport. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,597,731 times
I think Hoffdano will respond with the best information in regards to swim schools. For the locations that you're looking at, I'd up my bottom number to about $250K, but figure that you can find something really nice at right around $300K in most of those areas. Nitro Swim has a location on the edge of Cedar Park and Round Rock off 1431. I pasted a link below, but I'd wait for Hoffdano's opinion on that place.

USA Swim Team in Austin, TX Area | Nitro Swimming Austin, TX

And the school districts as a whole are pretty similar for Leander ISD (Cedar Park, Leander, parts of Round Rock, Austin), Round Rock ISD (Round Rock, parts of Cedar Park, parts of Austin, parts of Pflugerville?), and even Georgetown ISD. You have a LOT of choices in the locations that you're considering as well as your price range. None of those areas are a great commute to the airport so hopefully that is infrequent.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,306,378 times
My kids have been part of competitive swimming (and diving) for a long time. One of my sons swam a year of D1, and my daughter is a DI diver. The key with choosing a swimming program is to match the program to your child's ability, their commitment to the sport, your expectations from coaching, and minimizing the hassle factor (like driving cross town for practice). Another factor might be whether or not you think an indoor pool is important. Many teams in the Austin area swim in heated outdoor pools. Every high school in the area has a swim team. The quality of the teams is highly variable and can change drastically from year to year. A team could finish top 5 at the state meet with 5 very good swimmers. But if they graduate the team can go to pieces in a hurry (though it may still be a good program).

There are many good choices for swim teams. I would choose my school district/neighborhood first. Then find good teams that has an acceptable hassle factor. Visit each club and watch a few practices. Talk to the coach and find out how they coach and what their expectations are for their athletes.

Post a bit more about what kind of swimming you want and what kind of skill your sons have. Honestly I do not place much value in the USA Swimming "gold" or "silver" labels because they can be earned by teams with a few elite swimmers that compete well nationally. Some of these teams have marginal youth coaching.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,138 times
Thank you mark311 and hoffdano for bringing the outdoor pool factor to my attention. That thought had not crossed my mind and we would like to have an indoor training center. I looked at Nitro and they are pretty similar to NCAP. My oldest son just turned 13 and is a very committed athlete. This past weekend he made a few sectional cut times. He trains about 6 days a week with 3 days of dryland training as well. He currently swims at 4:45 AM three days a week, and I know that a lot of teams have that same kind of crazy schedule. With that being said, I would like to be fairly close to the pool.

Does anyone have recommendations on a neighborhood/school district that is close to the Nitro Cedar Park site at 1310 Toro Grande.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,419,931 times
There are tons of communities to choose from in that area - all of them are fairly interchangeable. Draw a 5 mile circle around that Parmer/1431 intersection and find the house you like the best.

Do be aware that the LISD/RRSD border is right there. All that will affect is the exact school track, not the quality of school in those areas - again, they're all pretty interchangeable.

Try to stay somewhat convenient to Parmer, 35 or 183 (or even 45/130) for the drive to the airport to keep it under an hour.

Highland Horizon and Sendero both have heated pools in the community. Sendero is obviously much closer to Nitro.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,597,731 times
I would check out the high school swim programs at Vista Ridge and Rouse as those are the closest high schools to that Nitro Swim. Most of the neighborhoods up to a few miles West of Nitro will feed into those two schools in LISD. Parkside at Mayfield Ranch is a good example neighborhood (actually slightly East just up Sam Bass), but there are a lot that meet your criteria.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,306,378 times
Nitro Cedar Park is a fine choice. I wouldn't rule out teams with outdoor pools though. Your kids won't be wimps when they swim outdoors in January and February. Micah Lawrence (Olympian) is a product of Texas Gold and Pflugerville HS.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM

73 posts, read 191,977 times
For lifestyle the closest thing to NOVA depending where in NOVA you're from would be round rock or cedar park imo

Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,312,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolhilltohillcountry View Post
For lifestyle the closest thing to NOVA depending where in NOVA you're from would be round rock or cedar park imo
I agree with the "depending where" part - but I wouldn't discount Lake Travis area either. Very similar to the western part - Fairfax, Manassas, Reston, or south - Woodbridge, etc. New construction at the OP's price point, and a Nitro right there, as well as great schools.

I understand wanting to be close to family in Georgetown - just throwing out another option.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM

998 posts, read 1,320,852 times
No kids so can't comment on the swimming thing, but did move from Ashburn a few years ago and work from home. The price range you have is really broad with plenty of choices IMO. I would find a Realtor.

Georgetown is definitely changing and a nice place, I would probably put it a few miles closer to downtown Austin than Bristow is to DC. As bad as traffic can be here, 495 and 66 would just suck the life out of you.

Let me know if you need a mover - I used one that is based in San Antonio and Dulles so their rates were very good. (can't recall off the top of my head)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin