Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Actually I think there is a difference. There is a lot more "temporal" capacity than "physical" capacity.

A 15% reduction of cars is far less effective than spreading 100% of the traffic over X minutes.

However, I do agree that taking 15% of the cars off I-35 and placing them on 130 would yield more than a 15% reduction in traffic on I-35 (i.e. not linear).
If you reduce traffic so that at any given point there is 15% fewer automobiles it makes no difference whether those cars were spread out over time or moved to a different freeway altogether - the effect is exactly the same.

One, very efficient way, to do this shift is through dynamic pricing of tolls.

Oh, and BTW - the 15% figure represents just the traffic that can be moved efficiently onto SH130. If you consider 183 as an alternative that number likely doubles. Removing this much congestion off IH 35 would effectively solve all problems for the foreseeable future.

It can be done. There is absolutely no technical reason why it can't be done. It isn't expensive to do - in fact, it would likely yield net revenues rather than deficits.

The only obstacles to doing it, in fact, are political.

Last edited by Komeht; 12-18-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
ORLY - quick question for you: would you consider say, a NOBEL PRIZE WINNING ECONOMIST, to be reputable?
Well, since that group includes Paul Krugman, I would have to say no. He's a hack.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Well, since that group includes Paul Krugman, I would have to say no. He's a hack.
You may not agree with Krugman's political leanings and writings (I highly highly doubt you have read any of his economic treatise or are qualified to understand them let alone critique them, that aside), but his reputation, I can assure you, as an economist, is well intact.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Quote:
ORLY - quick question for you: would you consider say, a NOBEL PRIZE WINNING ECONOMIST, to be reputable?
Yeah, you don't get the point I was making, do you?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
[quote=cBach;32668058
However, I do agree that taking 15% of the cars off I-35 and placing them on 130 would yield more than a 15% reduction in traffic on I-35 (i.e. not linear).[/quote]
Run that by me again... How do you measure 'traffic' if not by the number of vehicles?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Yeah, you don't get the point I was making, do you?
You stated, and I quote exactly: "There isn't a reputable economists who believes in "induced demand." It's a nonsense."

My question is a really simple one for you: Would you consider a nobel prize winning economist to be "reputable"?

I'm guessing you'll just try to dodge it - so I'll move on from you.

For anyone else, Induced Demand isn't fictional - it's a well studied area of economics and transport planning and accounts for the fact that a large number of traffic forecasts made over several decades were simply incorrect because they did not consider these effects.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 PM

45 posts, read 89,405 times
The SF Bay area has 2 rather nifty ways of handling freeway congestion. I happened to live there when they all started to go in, and remember all the bitching and moaning. Last time I went through during rush hour, I have to say that it all worked lovely - except the 101 which was always a pain in the rear.

The 1st is metering lights on the on ramps. They let 1-2 cars through every few seconds based on road capacity. At peak times, the wait time is longer. The 2nd is free carpool lanes, that come with a really hefty ticket if you get caught in it without 2 or more passengers in your vehicle. CHP LOVES those tickets, they really, really do. It has the nice effect of incentivizing carpooling, which gets cars off the road, and gets people to work faster - win win really.

I don't get Austin's love for toll roads. I know it comes in part from the die-hard NIMBYs, but the traffic has to go somewhere. It makes everyone happier if you're not sitting for hours and hours in 103* temps while your ac threatens to die.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is to direct the growth of Austin eastward. There is already spare capacity in that area, with 183 and SH 130. So, create incentives that perhaps encourages businesses to locate along those corridors. So if a high tech company wanted to place an office along Research Blvd in N. Austin, redirect them to place it along 183 between 290 and 71 with incentives or somewhere along SH-130.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:50 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
You may not agree with Krugman's political leanings and writings (I highly highly doubt you have read any of his economic treatise or are qualified to understand them let alone critique them, that aside), but his reputation, I can assure you, as an economist, is well intact.
Well, you ass-ume wrong. I've read both Diminished Expectations and Peddling Prosperity and they are political documents disguised as scholarly - polemics in search of rationalization. He can't separate the two. So, his sycophants may exalt him, and consider his "reputation well intact." Doesn't make him right.

As far as the award, not like a Nobel Committee hasn't ever given out an award to a completely undeserving candidate merely because his politics pleased them. And it is a whole 'nother story that Alfred Nobel never established a prize in Economics ...

Old 12-19-2013, 10:22 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Quote:
You stated, and I quote exactly: "There isn't a reputable economists who believes in "induced demand." It's a nonsense."

My question is a really simple one for you: Would you consider a nobel prize winning economist to be "reputable"?

I'm guessing you'll just try to dodge it - so I'll move on from you.

For anyone else, Induced Demand isn't fictional - it's a well studied area of economics and transport planning and accounts for the fact that a large number of traffic forecasts made over several decades were simply incorrect because they did not consider these effects.
Um, no, "induced demand" is merely a non-economic way of talking about a (much simplified) version of elasticity of demand. That's why Krugman wouldn't use the phrase. It contributes to a completely idiotic policy argument that, somehow, building more roads is futile.

And note: "supplier-induced demand" is not the same concept at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin