Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 17,126 times

Advertisements

Anyone venture a guess?

Traffic?
Property Values?
Perception?

I think traffic will get worse on Mopac, especially with the SH45 SW connector they are going to build - just like the traffic on Mopac became worse up north with the SH45-NW connector.

Property values will stagnate along Mopac because living next to a private I-35 will become an acceptable alternative.

The perception holding back I-35 will diminish, will bring more hi-rise commercial buildings ( and white collar jobs) - this will in turn start to poach homebuyers from the Mopac corridor - see first two paragrahs.

my take on it.

Last edited by slackjawed; 12-18-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 01:46 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I35 isn't going to become a toll road!

I imagine it would make MoPac traffic even worse -- which is hard to imagine. Especially during the afternoons, I will take I35 over MoPac, traffic on MoPac and 360 (and probably 620 but I never drive out there) is horrific. I'll take 35.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
It would be a public toll road. . not a private one.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It would be a public toll road. . not a private one.
same difference in traffic.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjawed View Post
Anyone venture a guess?

I think traffic will get worse on Mopac, especially with the SH45 SW connector they are going to build - just like the traffic on Mopac became worse up north with the SH45-NW connector.
Traffic is going to get worse no matter what.

Quote:
Property values will stagnate along Mopac because living next to a private I-35 will become an acceptable alternative.
Disagree. This is a ridiculous statement. I'm not even going to explain why, because it's obvious.

Quote:
The perception holding back I-35 will diminish, will bring more hi-rise commercial buildings ( and white collar jobs) - this will in turn start to poach homebuyers from the Mopac corridor - see first two paragrahs.
my take on it.
Disagree again. This is a ridiculous statement.

What makes you think a tolled IH 35 would affect the real estate market? Walk me through the logic of your hypothetical buyer.

Steve

Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I35 isn't going to become a toll road!
That wasn't the question.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
What makes you think a tolled IH 35 would affect the real estate market? Walk me through the logic of your hypothetical buyer.

Steve
A tolled road gets rid of traffic. wealthy people have demonstrated over and over again that they will settle along a toll road before they settle for an interstate. Have you heard of the North Dallas Tollroad? Its the only tollroad out of downtown Dallas, and the wealthiest people in town live along it - hell, the most expensive house in the US is literally within a stone's throw of it:

$135 Million Dallas Palace Is America's New Most Expensive Home For Sale - Forbes

Hear of Westpark Tollroad in Houston? Same Story.

If I-35 gets swapped, within 20 years you will see expensive condos along it touting airport access for white-collar professionals.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM

The biggest complaint about the added mopac lane was that it was for "rich people" who wanted to avoid traffic. Imagine an entire highway through town like that. The poor would start fleeing the I-35 corridor and head east to SH130 or west to Mopac because they could no longer afford to live along the I-35 corridor, only those willing to pay the price for light traffic.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:23 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjawed View Post
A tolled road gets rid of traffic. wealthy people have demonstrated over and over again that they will settle along a toll road before they settle for an interstate. Have you heard of the North Dallas Tollroad? Its the only tollroad out of downtown Dallas, and the wealthiest people in town live along it - hell, the most expensive house in the US is literally within a stone's throw of it:

$135 Million Dallas Palace Is America's New Most Expensive Home For Sale - Forbes

Hear of Westpark Tollroad in Houston? Same Story.

If I-35 gets swapped, within 20 years you will see expensive condos along it touting airport access for white-collar professionals.
The richest people in town live next to the North Dallas Tollway because they put the North Dallas Tollway right next to where all the rich people live. There is no cause and effect here.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The richest people in town live next to the North Dallas Tollway because they put the North Dallas Tollway right next to where all the rich people live. There is no cause and effect here.
The tollway has been there since the 60's, and most of the houses along in were built AFTER. West Plano was nothing until the 90's, when the rich started moving out there. West Plano has a direct connection to downtown via the tollroad.

Here is that house (recently built) and you can see the tollroad running along the edge of the property. Wouldn't build that next to an interstate, would they?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=10020...xas+75229&z=16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin