Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM

160 posts, read 233,079 times

Advertisements

I know there are a bunch of threads about this and I took some time to look through them, but I am limited on time with 4 small children, so I would appreciate some advice or recommendations for particular threads that might help.

So, my husband has a newer job working for the city of Austin. He's set to become permanent in the next couple weeks. His salary has gone up about 15 grand a year, so we can now afford a slightly more expensive place than what we have. Right now we rent a 1400+ sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath older house from a nice landlord in Anderson Mill area for $1245. The house needs some work and is a bit small for us. It's tolerable, but we would like to upgrade for the right place. We've been in Austin for 1.5 years. My husband's first job here was for a small company in Lakeway area. But, that company downsized so that he ended up finding a new job with a higher pay. We do not want to buy because we like the freedom to move.

I've been looking and areas I would consider are southern Cedar Park, southern Round Rock, Pflugerville, Anderson Mill, Jollyville and Millwood. I wonder if there are any particular areas I should avoid? What areas do you think offer the most for the money, while not being a bad neighborhood? We homeschool, so schools aren't too important, though I have noticed that bad schools can mean a bad neighborhood. Traffic to downtown does matter. We'd love to keep the commute reasonable though we know we can't afford to get very close in. My husband does have relaxed hours, so he goes to work early and comes home early most days.

Right now, I'm looking at a place around Crossley Crossing/ Shadow Pointe in Round Rock, Heatherwilde neighborhood in Pflugerville, and another just south of Anderson Mill rd. I feel pretty confident about the one below Anderson Mill since I live close by already and have had no trouble. But I know nothing about the other 2 neighborhoods. The one in Heatherwilde is a really nice looking house, but the schools are mediocre, so it would be nice to know how safe people feel around that area and what kind of noise and neighbors might be expected. Any other recommendations would be great! We are doing our best to keep things to $1500 or less so we have a little left for savings/paying off debts each month. We are trying to find a 3 + 1(bonus room) or 4 bedroom.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Danimarie; 12-19-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
If commute to DT is a concern at all, I'd stick with Millwood or Jolleyville. The only exception being if you can find something on or very near the rail line.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
I know there are a bunch of threads about this and I took some time to look through them, but I am limited on time with 4 small children, so I would appreciate some advice or recommendations for particular threads that might help.

So, my husband has a newer job working for the city of Austin. He's set to become permanent in the next couple weeks. His salary has gone up about 15 grand a year, so we can now afford a slightly more expensive place than what we have. Right now we rent a 1400+ sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath older house from a nice landlord in Anderson Mill area for $1245. The house needs some work and is a bit small for us. It's tolerable, but we would like to upgrade for the right place. We've been in Austin for 1.5 years. My husband's first job here was for a small company in Lakeway area. But, that company downsized so that he ended up finding a new job with a higher pay. We do not want to buy because we like the freedom to move.

I've been looking and areas I would consider are southern Cedar Park, southern Round Rock, Pflugerville, Anderson Mill, Jollyville and Millwood. I wonder if there are any particular areas I should avoid? What areas do you think offer the most for the money, while not being a bad neighborhood? We homeschool, so schools aren't too important, though I have noticed that bad schools can mean a bad neighborhood. Traffic to downtown does matter. We'd love to keep the commute reasonable though we know we can't afford to get very close in. My husband does have relaxed hours, so he goes to work early and comes home early most days.

Right now, I'm looking at a place around Crossley Crossing/ Shadow Pointe in Round Rock, Heatherwilde neighborhood in Pflugerville, and another just south of Anderson Mill rd. I feel pretty confident about the one below Anderson Mill since I live close by already and have had no trouble. But I know nothing about the other 2 neighborhoods. The one in Heatherwilde is a really nice looking house, but the schools are mediocre, so it would be nice to know how safe people feel around that area and what kind of noise and neighbors might be expected. Any other recommendations would be great! We are doing our best to keep things to $1500 or less so we have a little left for savings/paying off debts each month. We are trying to find a 3 + 1(bonus room) or 4 bedroom.
Thanks in advance.
Holy moly rentals have gotten pricey in the burbs! In Pflugerville, Heatherwilde is a good, safe neighborhood with nice amenities like a pool. It is also older and established with mature trees, but I don't care for the apartments that are nearby some of the homes. I'm not going to sugar coat it..they are of the lower income variety, which in itself isn't the kiss of death (there's a lower income apt. complex across the street from us too, but we're also surrounded by much higher priced neighborhoods, so it balances out I suppose). Like you said, the school track is ok (not the best PF has to offer, but definitely not the worst. The elementary is good, the middle is so so and the high school is so-so). That Reserve at Westcreek rental tracks to a good set of schools, so that neighborhood might be better.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Holy moly rentals have gotten pricey in the burbs!
For real! Other places I've lived are far cheaper than this, but gotta go where the jobs are. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM

18 posts, read 18,205 times
Quote:
For real! Other places I've lived are far cheaper than this, but gotta go where the jobs are. Thanks for your help.
This is why the housing situation sucks in Austin. There are some really nice houses for 200K in this town, and then there are some real sh****y ones for 400K. All because of the proximity of paychecks to them. Schools, crime, amenities take a back seat. Want to live next to prostitutes in North Austin and send your kid to the worst HS in town? (Lanier). It will now cost you more than it should.

You can thank companies like Apple, Inc and the city of Austin incentives for gouging you.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:18 PM

I've decided to give up. The house we are in now isn't too bad. It's a bit smaller than I'd like and it could use a little work, but I think we'll try to fix up some things ourselves. Our landlord is really great and I think we are paying 150-200 less than he could get for the place after seeing what else was out there. I don't know if we'll want to live in Austin forever. I think the place is maxing out on it's capacity somehow. It's getting to where, even if you have a good job, you can't afford to have a somewhat nice lifestyle. And my standards aren't that high. I'm not talking luxury. Oh well.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,150 times
Checkl out Circel C. Love it here.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
I think the place is maxing out on it's capacity somehow. It's getting to where, even if you have a good job, you can't afford to have a somewhat nice lifestyle. And my standards aren't that high. I'm not talking luxury. Oh well.
That's why I left Austin back in 2009. No way I would be able to afford the beautiful home I have in the downtown area of SA if I was living in Austin. I can still drive an hour on the weekends up to Austin to get my fix. Just need to make sure to drive on 35 very early in the morning or late at night to avoid the horrendous traffic.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
You might find something in Avery Ranch. I know that the place I am renting out is just less that $1500. Maybe I am charging to little?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM

193 posts, read 437,580 times
Check out Cedar Park - Forest Oaks, Silverado Ranch, Creekview or Silver Oak subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin