U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 PM

34 posts, read 155,340 times

Advertisements

Is there a lot more single males in the Austin area than single females? Is the bar scene largely dominated by males? UT claims to have a ratio pretty close to 50-50, so should I assume the 20 and 30-something crowd is also pretty close to 50-50? Is this accurate?

Please don't quote or link the "facts" from City-Data's statistics as those are incredibly unreliable. I'm looking for real life comments and experiences, I can (and have) already looked at the stats.

My friend in Atlanta claims that there is substantially more females than males in their metro area. Not sure if this is accurate, since he really wants me to move to Atlanta.

Anything you can provide I would greatly appreciate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 02:51 PM

13,677 posts, read 30,401,745 times
"Facts" may be incredibly unreliable, but are probably better than a single person's (over several people's) point of view. I have never noticed any kind of weighting toward male or female, but I suppose it would have to be pretty noticeable for a person to detect w/o some kind of counting .

The real issue is - are there more females in Austin or Atlanta that you find interesting (or find you interesting ), and that is hard to tell w/o knowing you.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,269,226 times
If you make $100K+, the ratio for you will be 10 females to 1 male. If you make $20K, the ratio will be 1 female to 10 males.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,841,675 times
It's hard to meet people in Atlanta -- the sprawl makes it a pain. I have friends all over in Atlanta and I never see them because of the crazyass traffic here. Plus for the college scene you have Georgia Tech.. there ARE women there but not a lot. Then you have Ga State. They are known as a commuter's college so it's a mix of people and it's called the "concrete campus". It's nowhere near the campus of UT in terms of accessibility and bars/restaurants and shops to hang out at.

Atlanta does have several cool hip neighborhoods to live in if you're single. I had a lot of fun here before I got hitched. What your friend probably hasn't told you is that the crime is awful, traffic is even worse, and the pollution in the summer is criminal. I've been here 13 years and been mugged, been a victim in 2 hit and run car accidents, had my home and an apt robbed, and my car broken into. We live in a cool, hip neighborhood but now that we have a kid, my urban pioneer days are numbered. I'm sick of the ghetto bird (police helicopter) circling overhead.

If you move to Atlanta, stay to the north and the crime isn't as bad. Of course the "cool" hoods are central and to the south.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,841,675 times
Also, I've found people in Austin much more friendly than Atlanta. I've chatted with loads of strangers in the grocery store where in Atlanta, they're a little more reserved.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,506,389 times
In the mid-90's (when I was single), ATL was 6-1 (women-men) and it's probably closer to 2-1 from what my single friends tell me.

I don't agree on the friendliness comment, they're the same--this is the South any which way you look at it--so people are friendly in both locations. The difference is that GA is the New South with the old Southern hospitality of smiling at you while talking about you behind your back (Bless Your Heart); while TX is much more Southern with a cross of NY of directly smiling at you with the sh1t-eating-grin.

Both cities are great for very different reasons.

Personally, I liked dating people from different colleges...I will admit that UT and UGA women are very pretty compared to GT, GSU, Emory, Spelman, Morehouse, Clark, GCA, Oglethorpe, Bauder, Mercer, GA Southern, Kennesaw State, SPS, and WGA. Although it's nice to have choices.

Last edited by fil; 11-28-2007 at 02:07 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,246,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
If you make $100K+, the ratio for you will be 10 females to 1 male. If you make $20K, the ratio will be 1 female to 10 males.
That is hilarious my friend. Makes me very thankful for my Sugar-mama

I heard a funny joke the other day

What do you call an Austin musician without a girlfriend/wife?

Homeless

Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM

34 posts, read 155,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
wow. if that's not the comment of a scorned male, I don't know what is. FYI-meeting females actually has very little to do with how much you make or what you look like. it helps, but your attitude is what attracts people from the opposite sex. You can't be like every other bumbling frustrated chump, you have to be unique in every way. ...and don't ask to buy her a drink! that will never work!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,269,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslr View Post
wow. if that's not the comment of a scorned male, I don't know what is.
or one happily in that 10 females to 1 male ratio.

/married.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,185 times
So.... If you are a female making 100k, does that mean that the ratio is 1 to 20 male?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or