Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What medicine will save this patient?
No new building "footprints", only higher density zoning 7 17.95%
tollroads 10 25.64%
light rail 23 58.97%
bike lanes 9 23.08%
HOV lanes 8 20.51%
satellite business districts 12 30.77%
more roads 10 25.64%
other 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times

Advertisements

Sorry to the OP, but the premise is completely false.

Choose any "vital sign", Austin is the quite possibly the healthiest in the country.

Except maybe congestion -- the doctor says it needs to walk or bike more. Typical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You can't have business without government agencies to regulate them. Otherwise, they would run roughshod all over the consumer. You can't have businesses exist and prosper without infrastructure to make them possible. Government makes all of that possible.
I will put you firmly in the "you didn't build that" camp. Probably best to keep that thought to yourself around most business owners. You are hopelessly delusional if you think that the only force that keeps a balance between a business and their customer is government. I am jealous that you can honestly have such a simplistic, and uninformed view.

Thanks for checking in from the state that fully embodies your view - and lost almost 1,000,000 private sector jobs since 2008, has five businesses a week leaving for other states, had 2,700 employers disappear between 2007 and 2011, has 12% of the population and 33% of the welfare recipients, and has the largest municipal debt in the nation - double that of the next closest state. Physician, heal thy self. Unless your drug is the cause ...

Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I will put you firmly in the "you didn't build that" camp. Probably best to keep that thought to yourself around most business owners. You are hopelessly delusional if you think that the only force that keeps a balance between a business and their customer is government. I am jealous that you can honestly have such a simplistic, and uninformed view.

Thanks for checking in from the state that fully embodies your view - and lost almost 1,000,000 private sector jobs since 2008, has five businesses a week leaving for other states, had 2,700 employers disappear between 2007 and 2011, has 12% of the population and 33% of the welfare recipients, and has the largest municipal debt in the nation - double that of the next closest state. Physician, heal thy self. Unless your drug is the cause ...
I never said anything about what is the ideal balance between government and industry. I just feel that government is REALLY needed. If you had bothered to listen to Pres Obamas entire "you didn't build that" speech, you most likely agree thst he was right. Whole parts of this country would not have flourished if not for the massive InterdtAte highway system. The George W Bush Texas Stadium in Arlington would not have happened without large government help. I worked for a Tx state agency back in the 80s that regulated HMOs which were fairly new to Texas back then. Our fearless Director (who could cuss with the best of them) made sure that there were adequate consumer protections in the documents submitted to the State by those insurance companies. Her toughness most likely made a difference in people's' lives. Back then, she and her husband (also a State employee) lived off Koenig Rd between Lamar and Burnet. I hate to see where they'd have to live now.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:44 PM

269 posts, read 428,279 times
Quote:
Like Round Rock? Leander? Georgetown? Explain to me how that would pay for the transportation infrastructure bill for Austin or Travis county?

And again, who ever said anything about moving a single state office?

Elsewhere in Austin, obviously.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:47 PM

102 posts, read 156,696 times
Quote:
The George W Bush Texas Stadium in Arlington

Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM

102 posts, read 156,696 times
misnomers aside, Ameriquest Field (formerly called the Ballpark in Arlington) was a burden to the taxpayers of that city. The govt convinced the public sector to pay for a privately owned stadium. If the government hadn't put forth taxpayer bond money, well then the owners would have. Jerry Jones saw this, and realized he had a sucker, so he dipped into the Arlington cookie jar as well. BTW, have you ever been to Arlington? No public transportation, and the entire city is run down, outside the Sixflags/Stadium area.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:21 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberguber View Post

Quote:
The George W Bush Texas Stadium in Arlington
Forget it. He's rolling.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Lol. I know that it's not named that, but it probably will be someday. They already named a toll road for Daddy Bush over there in republican nutjobland, and Daddy's still alive. W was the most prominent investor in the Arlington swindle.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

116 posts, read 196,300 times
I can sum up a large part of urban Austin's traffic congestion problem in three little words:

Urban. Bike. Lanes.

When a city takes an already congested thoroughfare and inserts a bike lane, as they did on Spicewood Springs Rd; or when a formerly four lane road is reconfigured to a two lane plus bike lane road, the city is not concerned with automobile traffic facilitation.

183 was crowded as heck when we moved to Balcones CC in 1973. The city/county gov't had the mindset that "if we don't build it, they won't come". But they DID come, in droves. It took Austin 30 years to expand 183 to what it should have been 25 years ago. Now, open for only a few years, it's already far overcongested.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:55 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketteroo View Post
I can sum up a large part of urban Austin's traffic congestion problem in three little words:

Urban. Bike. Lanes.

When a city takes an already congested thoroughfare and inserts a bike lane, as they did on Spicewood Springs Rd; or when a formerly four lane road is reconfigured to a two lane plus bike lane road, the city is not concerned with automobile traffic facilitation.

183 was crowded as heck when we moved to Balcones CC in 1973. The city/county gov't had the mindset that "if we don't build it, they won't come". But they DID come, in droves. It took Austin 30 years to expand 183 to what it should have been 25 years ago. Now, open for only a few years, it's already far overcongested.
Of course that does not explain congestion on main lanes of highways where bikes are not allowed, e.g. MoPac, IH-35, US 183, etc. Go troll on the Houston forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin