Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnOnymous123 View Post
Thank you all so much for your input! I certainly didn't expect my question to garner 3 pages!

Let me see if I can respond to comments in order, having done some research of my own now:

I don't think I can handle Leander. I can see on the map that it's the fairest, but it seems just too sleepy and family-oriented for us.

I like the idea of the Domain, but it seems much too far south.

My work is a couple blocks from the downtown station. I guess that sort of solves this whole thing, doesn't it? For whatever reason, I had in my head that RR and Gtown were the places to be, so I hadn't seriously considered towns on 183, but if my office is right there by the station, there's no reason not to live on the Red Line. And scm53's post about the difference in pricing sort of sealed the deal for me. If I've got wear and tear on a car plus tolls plus gas vs. a metro pass, it's a no brainer.

So, alright, Lakeline it is. We've got our eye on this property: Apartment Community in Cedar Park, Texas | Muir Lake Not walking distance to the station (2 mi), but it appears to offer a level of luxury not found in any other apartment communities in Cedar Park.

Would you all be so kind as to answer some follow up questions?

1. What's the terminology for the rail line? Do you call it the Red Line? the Metro?
2. What's the terminology for Lakeline? The mailing address is Cedar Park, but the area is called Lakeline?
3. Should I need to drive, how's the commute from Lakeline to downtown? I checked google traffic this morning and it seemed to be very reasonable, but I'm wondering if that's just because of the holidays. (I-35 from Georgetown was reasonable as well, so it must be the holidays, right?)
If you work a couple of blocks from the Red Line it is a no brainer to live close to it. I definitely think you should not discount the Domain yet Lakeline isn't all that much further north and there will be a world of difference to you both by living in Domain both in terms of what's immediately around you and also for the access to the city.

1. The Red Line is the Red Line or CapMetro - or, since it's the only train currently in Austin, the train.
2. Lakeline is Lakeline.
3. Not good. Avoid at all costs - it's one of the worst commutes in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 35,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Yikes! Did you check out Indigo? It is across the street from the Lakeline station! Brand new this year...second half of this year ('13).
What do you mean by "yikes?"

Yes, I looked into Indigo, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not ruling it out, it just seems a little young, a little generic online. It's on the list to visit in February.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "yikes?"

Yes, I looked into Indigo, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not ruling it out, it just seems a little young, a little generic online. It's on the list to visit in February.
I've got a feeling Indigo will sell out partly because of the proximity to the train station. Big difference between walking what might amount to four blocks from Indigo to the station vs driving across 183 twice a day. Hard to get a read on Muir Lake since it is still heavy into construction; but it may turn out to be nicer...would have to be to discount the convenience of walking across the street to catch the train.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
Did you ever find what you were looking for? I am in almost the EXACT situation and would love any help based on your experience so far.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM

254 posts, read 281,185 times
I'll chime in.

We live in Wells Branch. My husband works downtown (12th St) from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and has found that he loves taking the train. He gets on at Howard Lane and off at MLK in the morning and hops on the bus to the Capital complex. He has found in the evening that the bus back to the MLK station is completely unreliable due to getting stuck in traffic, so he walks down to the Convention Center. He did find using the train to be more hassle than it was worth when he was trying to go home by way of the MLK station.

The train is usually packed during rush hour, so he doesn't always get a seat. His typical commute is 15 minutes longer than if he were to drive, but he has found it far more enjoyable than dealing with I-35 and he gets some forced exercise in too.

My sister and BIL work at Ft. Hood and lived on base for several years. We have found that it is 50 minutes from our house to the gate taking I-35 to 195. Getting from the gate onto base can be tricky. They have recently moved off base to Copperas Cove and she has found that living there to be more convenient than living on base for her commute to work. She would leave base to take kids to school and get stuck in traffic trying to get back on base. They now use the back gate at Copperas Cove and it has a lot less traffic.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:52 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Okay, we use to live in Cedar Park. I worked downtown on 17th near Congress, this was before the Red Line, I would have loved that. Anyways, once a month I would drive the back way to Fort Hood and it took me less than an hour. So if you decide to rent at the Indigo Apartments and take the Red line, your husband could head north on 183 taking the back way to Fort Hood and it could work for both of you. Granted that back way was somewhat isolated, but scenic.

183N >>>to 138 (right turn)>>>>to 195 (turn left onto West Central Expy)>>>>to U.S. 190W this takes you to the Main Gate

Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,079 times
Default What did yall decide on??

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your input! I certainly didn't expect my question to garner 3 pages!

Let me see if I can respond to comments in order, having done some research of my own now:

I don't think I can handle Leander. I can see on the map that it's the fairest, but it seems just too sleepy and family-oriented for us.

I like the idea of the Domain, but it seems much too far south.

My work is a couple blocks from the downtown station. I guess that sort of solves this whole thing, doesn't it? For whatever reason, I had in my head that RR and Gtown were the places to be, so I hadn't seriously considered towns on 183, but if my office is right there by the station, there's no reason not to live on the Red Line. And scm53's post about the difference in pricing sort of sealed the deal for me. If I've got wear and tear on a car plus tolls plus gas vs. a metro pass, it's a no brainer.

So, alright, Lakeline it is. We've got our eye on this property: Apartment Community in Cedar Park, Texas | Muir Lake Not walking distance to the station (2 mi), but it appears to offer a level of luxury not found in any other apartment communities in Cedar Park.

Would you all be so kind as to answer some follow up questions?

1. What's the terminology for the rail line? Do you call it the Red Line? the Metro?
2. What's the terminology for Lakeline? The mailing address is Cedar Park, but the area is called Lakeline?
3. Should I need to drive, how's the commute from Lakeline to downtown? I checked google traffic this morning and it seemed to be very reasonable, but I'm wondering if that's just because of the holidays. (I-35 from Georgetown was reasonable as well, so it must be the holidays, right?)
What did you end up with and and how was the location for both you and your husband? My wife and I are in the same exact situation. I will be working at Hood and she will be downtown. I really hate the drive but we have to make something work.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twash017 View Post
What did you end up with and and how was the location for both you and your husband? My wife and I are in the same exact situation. I will be working at Hood and she will be downtown. I really hate the drive but we have to make something work.
Looks like MsAnn moved to DC last summer...not sure if they were ever here based on her other posts. There are physically more apartment options in the Lakeline area; however, a gazillion folks have moved here since the thread was active. I doubt the potential commute for either of you has gotten any easier, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin