Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,479 times

Advertisements

Right before I moved out of Phoenix, Phoenix Monthly magazine did a really cool feature article that listed the top 50 things every Phoenician should do. Some of the things were obvious and touristy; but others were little known locales or events that had something really cool going on. Others were restaurants that you just had to visit!

Another poster's question about what to do when you're new to Austin reminded me of this article, and I thought I'd start a thread for all of the Austin experts out there to help us newbies all figure out the must-dos here. So post away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
Ok so I am in SA but have loads of family in Austin so he are my things a first timer might want to try....The Salt Lick drive go to it it is a must.(bbq food). Climb up Mt Bonell(Sp) have a look around my mom remembers going up there and making out there (sometime in the 1950s!) Go to Treadgills for Chicken fried steak, go to Shady Grove (I think thats right) over by Zilker Park to eat also...watch the bats, get to know someone that has a boat on Lake Travis! See the Bob Bullock and State Capital and figure out why all of us natives (most of us) love our state so much!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Default AT's List of Stuff to Do

1. Mt. Bonnell - this is a great photo op place. You park and then walk up about 100 stone steps. Great view of Town Lake and all the expensive houses none of us can afford.

2. The Oasis at Lake Travis - the food is definitely not great but the view is not to be missed. Definitely another photo op.

3. Iguana Grill - another restaurant on Lake Travis. The view is not as dramatic but the food is way better. Go to both places off peak hours if possible so you get a great seat outside.

4. Laguna Gloria - this is a great little museum on 35th Street in Central Austin. I like it cause it's in an old house and the grounds are beautiful. Be sure to walk down to the water. They have art festivals on the grounds too. The last one I went to was small but very nice.

5. Austin Fine Arts Festival - this year it will be April 14-15. It is held downtown at Republic Square. I love this festival! The art, food and music is great. Admission is $8. It's easiest just to park at the Lavaca Street parking garage across from the park.

6. Armadillo Christmas Bazaar - this year it will be December 9-24. It's held at the Austin Music Hall downtown. Lots of great vendors and a good time to do some holiday shopping. Good music too.

7. Esther's Follies - if you don't laugh here, then you're dead! This is a comedy/vaudeville/magic show. It's unbelievably funny and has been around forever. They make fun of everything but mostly politics. I can't stress enough how much fun this place is.

8. Las Manitas - really good Mexican food (not Tex Mex). If you don't know what to order just get one of the daily specials. It's all good. Breakfast and lunch only. Again, try to go off peak hours to avoid the crowds. Yummy!!!

9. Town Lake - park your car and get out and walk the hike and bike trail that circles the lake. There's a pedestrian bridge on Guadalupe that takes you to the other side of the river. This is a great place to see Austinites and their kids and dogs. You can also rent a canoe or kayak and paddle around. Look for the swans!

10. The Bats - of course you have to see the bats. It's probably too late now as they are heading home to Mexico for the winter but check them out next year. Seeing them is really amazing.

11. South Congress Area - park your car and walk up and down S. Congress. Check out all the funky shops and Allen's Boots. Lots of good places to eat here too: Guero's for Tex Mex, El Sol Y La Luna for Mex, or Vespaio for Italian. Vespaio also has a more casual restaurant right next door but I can't think of the name.

12. Whole Foods - nope, not your ordinary grocery store. Heck, it's not even an ordinary Whole Foods. This is the headquarters for the company and it's amazing. Downtown at Fifth/Sixth and Lamar.

13. The Book People - across the street from Whole Foods and the largest book store in Texas.

14. Hut's Hamburgers - on Sixth just south of Whole Foods. Need a burger and ring fix? This is your place.

15. Hiking the Greenbelts - Austin has so many great greenbelt areas for hiking. Two of my favs are Barton Creek Greenbelt and Wild Basin Preserve off 360.

16. Enchanted Rock - speaking of hiking...this place is really cool. It's close to Fredericksburg (which by the way is definitely not on my list!) and it's a huge batholith. I'll let you guys Google that one to get your Geology lesson of the day! I love hiking here but do NOT come in the summer. You have been warned.

17. Barton Creek Mall - definitely the best mall.

18. Ironworks - my favorite BBQ downtown.

19. Christmas Lights - trust me, you haven't seen Christmas decorations/lights until you walk or drive down 37th Street, just east of Guadalupe. I would try to describe this but none of you would believe me!

20. Zilker Botanical Gardens - if you're a plant lover, you have to see this place. Also look for special plant sales held here.

21. Barton Creek Nursery - speaking of plants, this is a great nursery on Bee Caves (2244).

22. The Capitol Building - this is a must see in my book. Take a tour or just wander around by yourself. The grounds are great too, especially when the weather is nice.

23. Bob Bullock and IMAX - close to the Capitol, this is a good museum for Texas history. IMAX always has great movies.

24. UT Tower - this was closed for many years (Google the history) but is now open on weekends only. Great view of the city.

continued...getting too long!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Default And the Rest

25. Warehouse District - the Fourth Street area downtown for entertainment. This is for those of us who are past the party-til-you-puke stage. Great places include Saba Blue Water Cafe, Cedar Street Courtyard, Six, and Ginger Man. Just walk around and pick a place that looks fun.

26. Sixth Street - this is Austin's version of Bourbon Street for the college kids. Definitely good for people watching, especially during SXSW festival time.

27. The Driskill - this is a gorgeous, historic hotel right on Sixth Street. You gotta go inside to see it. Dinner here is very nice and very expensive. They also have a cafe and a bar.

28. Best Websites for Events - here are two of my favorites for what's going on:

http://www.austintexas.org/visitors/events.php (broken link)
http://www.austin360.com/

Okay, that's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM

92 posts, read 673,909 times
Default Don't forget the Christmas tree / Zilker Park!

Christmastime....take the kids
and have 'em spin around in circles, looking up
from within the inside of a humongously beautiful Christmas tree
and have agreat time getting dizzy!
Heck, I still like to do that everytime I get.
(The Christmas tree, not necessarily getting dizzy w/o the tree

Old 10-22-2006, 12:34 PM

944 posts, read 3,955,636 times
1. SWIM in Barton Springs (don't just go see it)

2. Mt. Bonnell and the back roads around lake Austin

3. South Congress, or SOCO, on the First Thursday every month of the year, a great quirky artsy fun street festival

4. Whole Foods headquarters --- spend at least 2 hours there during your first visit

5. The bats

6. The 3th Street "Alternative Christmas" lights --- wild, fun, like nothing you'll ever see anywhere else, and be sure to walk it, don't drive it

7. Walking tour of the Warehouse entertainment and Second Street retail districts, all close together and easy to walk if it's not 95 degrees

8. Restaurants --- too many to list and I'm way behind with all the new ones opening every day. Brunch at Eastside Cafe is nice.

9. Try walking the East Sixth and Red River scene at midnight on a warm Saturday night... leave the children at home!

10. Hike, bike, row, float a river, enjoy the many outdoor opportunities in the area

Old 10-23-2006, 01:50 PM

122 posts, read 180,368 times
Lets seeeee

1) Lake Austin and Lake Travis: Both lakes give Austin that special feel with good public access and central located almost anyone with a boat can be in the water in 30mins from their house. I cant think of any other city with such a boating/urban lifestyle in the country.

2) Hill country: Less than a hour away you can be in rolling hills and what i cal Texas. Their are so many parks and activity to do you can go wrong any weekend of the year to take a day trip outside the city limited and discover what i do love about this state.

3) Austin Location: We are in central Texas the coast in 3 hours Mexico is 3 hours Dallas in 3 hours i could go on but you get the idea. For people that like to travel Austin makes it easy to drive across the state.

4) Austin Beauty: Trees! Live oaks and views. Houston Dallas and San Antion have nothing on Austin. If you have been to Austin you know what i am talking about.

5) People: Austin is the red headed step child of Texas. Its more of a melting pot than any other Texas city. We have hippies white collar BMW driving yuppies all in the same town. Everyone in Austin gets along and is friendly to each other. I have lived in this town my hole life and it just seams that we do have such a special community with every type of life style living in the same City.

6) Entertainment: 6th 4th 7th with the University their is a major demand for bars and restaurant's and live entertainment every night of the week. Austin City limited brought the music together and is a very strong aspect of why Austin is the Live band capital of the world. If you spend time downtown their is always something going on.

7) Work: Some people have a hard time finding work around Austin. Its all about what you really want in life a place to live our a place to work. Austin has some of the highest salaries in Texas and major companies. I do tell my clients if you can find a good job in Austin then you have no reason not to move to Austin (:

My list of thinks to do..

Lake Travis on a Sunday*****
Lake Austin on the weekdays*****
The green belt / Zilker including Barton springs*****
Music any location*****
Congress first Thursday of each month****
UT football****
Bass concert Hall****
Hulla Hut on Lake Austin****
Cycling 360****
Tour of Homes doing X-Mas****

These are major need to do list, but its a start..

Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
1. Mt. Bonnell - this is a great photo op place. You park and then walk up about 100 stone steps. Great view of Town Lake and all the expensive houses none of us can afford.

2. The Oasis at Lake Travis - the food is definitely not great but the view is not to be missed. Definitely another photo op.

3. Iguana Grill - another restaurant on Lake Travis. The view is not as dramatic but the food is way better. Go to both places off peak hours if possible so you get a great seat outside.

4. Laguna Gloria - this is a great little museum on 35th Street in Central Austin. I like it cause it's in an old house and the grounds are beautiful. Be sure to walk down to the water. They have art festivals on the grounds too. The last one I went to was small but very nice.

5. Austin Fine Arts Festival - this year it will be April 14-15. It is held downtown at Republic Square. I love this festival! The art, food and music is great. Admission is $8. It's easiest just to park at the Lavaca Street parking garage across from the park.

6. Armadillo Christmas Bazaar - this year it will be December 9-24. It's held at the Austin Music Hall downtown. Lots of great vendors and a good time to do some holiday shopping. Good music too.

7. Esther's Follies - if you don't laugh here, then you're dead! This is a comedy/vaudeville/magic show. It's unbelievably funny and has been around forever. They make fun of everything but mostly politics. I can't stress enough how much fun this place is.

8. Las Manitas - really good Mexican food (not Tex Mex). If you don't know what to order just get one of the daily specials. It's all good. Breakfast and lunch only. Again, try to go off peak hours to avoid the crowds. Yummy!!!

9. Town Lake - park your car and get out and walk the hike and bike trail that circles the lake. There's a pedestrian bridge on Guadalupe that takes you to the other side of the river. This is a great place to see Austinites and their kids and dogs. You can also rent a canoe or kayak and paddle around. Look for the swans!

10. The Bats - of course you have to see the bats. It's probably too late now as they are heading home to Mexico for the winter but check them out next year. Seeing them is really amazing.

11. South Congress Area - park your car and walk up and down S. Congress. Check out all the funky shops and Allen's Boots. Lots of good places to eat here too: Guero's for Tex Mex, El Sol Y La Luna for Mex, or Vespaio for Italian. Vespaio also has a more casual restaurant right next door but I can't think of the name.

12. Whole Foods - nope, not your ordinary grocery store. Heck, it's not even an ordinary Whole Foods. This is the headquarters for the company and it's amazing. Downtown at Fifth/Sixth and Lamar.

13. The Book People - across the street from Whole Foods and the largest book store in Texas.

14. Hut's Hamburgers - on Sixth just south of Whole Foods. Need a burger and ring fix? This is your place.

15. Hiking the Greenbelts - Austin has so many great greenbelt areas for hiking. Two of my favs are Barton Creek Greenbelt and Wild Basin Preserve off 360.

16. Enchanted Rock - speaking of hiking...this place is really cool. It's close to Fredericksburg (which by the way is definitely not on my list!) and it's a huge batholith. I'll let you guys Google that one to get your Geology lesson of the day! I love hiking here but do NOT come in the summer. You have been warned.

17. Barton Creek Mall - definitely the best mall.

18. Ironworks - my favorite BBQ downtown.

19. Christmas Lights - trust me, you haven't seen Christmas decorations/lights until you walk or drive down 37th Street, just east of Guadalupe. I would try to describe this but none of you would believe me!

20. Zilker Botanical Gardens - if you're a plant lover, you have to see this place. Also look for special plant sales held here.

21. Barton Creek Nursery - speaking of plants, this is a great nursery on Bee Caves (2244).

22. The Capitol Building - this is a must see in my book. Take a tour or just wander around by yourself. The grounds are great too, especially when the weather is nice.

23. Bob Bullock and IMAX - close to the Capitol, this is a good museum for Texas history. IMAX always has great movies.

24. UT Tower - this was closed for many years (Google the history) but is now open on weekends only. Great view of the city.

continued...getting too long!

I have lived in Austin my hole life and their are a couple of things on your list that i still need to do. I guess working on the weekends has been taking its toll on my life (:

Old 10-23-2006, 07:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,847,219 times
Austin Beauty: Trees! Live oaks and views. Houston Dallas and San Antion have nothing on Austin. If you have been to Austin you know what i am talking about.

I have lived in several of the TX cities, but don't really agree on that. San Antonio is very similar looking as far as the trees. And Houston has the tall pine forests in addition to the huge live oaks.

People: Austin is the red headed step child of Texas. Its more of a melting pot than any other Texas city. We have hippies white collar BMW driving yuppies all in the same town. Everyone in Austin gets along and is friendly to each other. I have lived in this town my hole life and it just seams that we do have such a special community with every type of life style living in the same City.

If any city in TX is a melting pot, it's Houston hand's-down.

I've lived in both Austin and Houston in recent years, and it was really noticable how much more diverse Houston is in population, ethnicity, and nationality.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
If any city in TX is a melting pot, it's Houston hand's-down.

I've lived in both Austin and Houston in recent years, and it was really noticable how much more diverse Houston is in population, ethnicity, and nationality.
Houston is the third largest city in the country of course you will have more melting than other cities (: Also if you look at your melting their is a much larger tension in Houston over race than their is in Austin.

Why did you move to Houston was it the money? I would say 90% of my listing that move to Houston is not because they were unhappy in Austin it was because of the dollar amount of companies trying to get people to move to Houston. I visit Houston all the time i have a good friend that play for the astro's but when i come back to Austin I am home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin