Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 AM

5,856 posts, read 11,858,565 times

Advertisements

I've been other places where panhandlers were aggressive. In Austin, yes they are everywhere, but if you don't make eye contact with them they won't bother you.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 AM

447 posts, read 1,040,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It's bad around 7th and Trinity for obvious reasons.
What are these obvious reasons?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,739,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
Take a wild guess.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM

249 posts, read 490,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
It's bad around 7th and Trinity for obvious reasons.
Perhaps, but I've parked at the church there for about 2.5 years and haven't ever had any of the folks hanging around behave aggressively towards me. I reckon the rude and violent folks eventually get Darwin'd out by a CHL.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:02 AM

3,044 posts, read 3,224,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
For those who've never been in the area and don't want to waste time looking it up when one simply straight forward reply will do, it's where the ARCH is (Austin Resource Center for the Homeless). Lots and lots of homeless folks milling about for sure. However, like Tralfaz mentions, of all the times I've walked by there (I used to go to a restaurant for lunch and it was along the way) I've never once been asked for anything despite what the numbers might suggest. It can be intimidating though just with the sheer numbers of scraggly looking folks. But again, I've never had an issue. But then again, I'm not exactly a small guy either, so maybe that helps

Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,467,935 times
In my experience, the panhandlers in Austin tend to be very non-aggressive compared to most other areas where I have experienced them (LA, Atlanta, Memphis come to mind first). Yes, they may approach you and ask for 'change' or 'gas money' or whatever, but a simple 'no' seems to suffice. And even that is a relatively rare occurrence other than in specific areas. Many years ago there were some people offering to 'watch you car' for a few bucks if you parked down near sixth street - with the implication being that something may happen to your car if you did not pay them. That did not last long at all, I will give APD credit for that .

Old 01-03-2014, 10:33 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,369,782 times
There are homeless encampments eastward by Lady Bird Lake trail...I ran there once and that was it. I ran on the west side from then one. There are homeless up and down Congress especially...I work on 6th Street and they're all over. Thrice I've seen obviously homeless people relieving themselves in public in broad daylight. Downtown for the most part is teeming with homeless people/panhandlers. If anything, to remind the high rollers of the other side of life.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM

115 posts, read 160,088 times
This is not unique to a few cities, ANY major city has the same problem, I live in Utah and it is a nuisance, I have been in most major cities in the US and it is everywhere as far as I can remember, so, my solution? Live in the suburbs...

Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM

18 posts, read 27,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Are you thinking about moving here, is this your main worry?

Too answer your question, it can be somewhat annoying in a few areas but it's not constantly, at least in my experience. Just depends I guess, where and when.
Yes I'm thinking of moving because of cold winters where I live. To answer your question one of my main worries is being able to walk down the street without being harassed. I've come to the realization that isn't possible in any larger city.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 AM

249 posts, read 490,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alright_alright_alright View Post
Yes I'm thinking of moving because of cold winters where I live. To answer your question one of my main worries is being able to walk down the street without being harassed. I've come to the realization that isn't possible in any larger city.
You just have to find a large, politically-incorrect city in the sunbelt that doesn't care if other folks think its "cleaning up the streets" initiatives to get hobos "out of sight and out of mind" are a problem. I'd say read local news stories, and if the paper makes such complaints about its city council or police chief, move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin