Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 AM

56 posts, read 129,473 times

Advertisements

Welcome, Mallie!

We moved to Austin in June and love it here, too. We are born and raised Floridians and came here via Pennsylvania where we lived for eight years. I can truly say the summers are not that bad here. We actually found the 100+ degree days here to feel pleasant as long as there was low humidity. I'm sure you will really enjoy it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:17 AM

99 posts, read 163,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Where can I check out the existing Light Rail in Austin?
Oooh, semantics!
Whatever you want to call it yourself..... "things on tracks that move people", is that better?.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famv5 View Post
Welcome, Mallie!

We moved to Austin in June and love it here, too. We are born and raised Floridians and came here via Pennsylvania where we lived for eight years. I can truly say the summers are not that bad here. We actually found the 100+ degree days here to feel pleasant as long as there was low humidity. I'm sure you will really enjoy it here.
You lived through one extremely mild summer. Last summer was not a good baseline for how hot and relentless things can be here.

Mallie, I hope your attitude remains once you've moved into your rental home and started that daily commute. I hope your children enjoy their new home and schools and they are the right places for them. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM

83 posts, read 99,287 times
The kids are happy! YEAH!!!

The schools are great...such friendly people!!!

The commute isn't bad....I don't work, until after the rush (or before), for the most part. I REALLY love it here!!! I have never felt so good about where I am. There is a great balance, at least in my world, here in Austin. It all evens out or tips the scale to the "better than I imagined" side. Summer will be fine, I have lived in 110+ weather, in the past. It was tough, sometimes, but there are ways to cope...like jumpuing into water.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MallieF View Post
The kids are happy! YEAH!!!

The schools are great...such friendly people!!!

The commute isn't bad....I don't work, until after the rush (or before), for the most part. I REALLY love it here!!! I have never felt so good about where I am. There is a great balance, at least in my world, here in Austin. It all evens out or tips the scale to the "better than I imagined" side. Summer will be fine, I have lived in 110+ weather, in the past. It was tough, sometimes, but there are ways to cope...like jumpuing into water.
Excellent!!! Glad to hear it!
Drop me a PM if there are any tennis players in the home crew.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:04 AM

147 posts, read 595,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penecow290 View Post
Would have stayed in Portland, beautiful city and they have decent public transit.
Albeit a suffering local economy (per my research). Even the education systems are enduring cutbacks. This information surprised me since Portland is (allegedly) among the trendiest places to move in the '10s.

OP I'm happy for you! You should keep this thread updated with info and pictures! I think a lot of locals forget what newcomers find interesting as they become used to the simple/small stuff. My move is still about two years off but I'm really excited!

Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penecow290 View Post
Would have stayed in Portland, beautiful city and they have decent public transit.
And rain and clouds. Portland averages 144 sunny days. Austin averages 228.

And many of us don't put a high priority on public transit.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
I think it is nice that MallieF & family are enjoying their new life in Austin. Hope things continue to go well.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
You lived through one extremely mild summer. Last summer was not a good baseline for how hot and relentless things can be here.
How did you conclude that? The average temps for June - August were above normal. And the number of days of 100 degrees or more was way above average.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How did you conclude that? The average temps for June - August were above normal. And the number of days of 100 degrees or more was way above average.
Except that summer '13 WAS mild compared to '08-'12...a stretch of the hottest, driest, highest high avg, highest low temp, number of 100 degree days, etc. etc. Subtract last August from the equation and '13 was a breeze compared to the previous few years. We know...we moved here when it all started in late spring '08 .

Those average numbers don't provide much insight...avg high during much of the summer was 'supposed' to be 96...for a couple of recent summers, we MIGHT have had a SINGLE day under 96 during each 2-3 WEEKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin