Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm tired of living in this tiny city in Alabama, and I want to move. I was seriously thinking about maybe moving to the North, but, from what I've gathered by hanging out on the New York forum, it's not the best idea for my budget. I want to go somewhere where there is a bustling arts scene and where I can dramatically improve my communication skills, through guilds for comedy or acting, and finally "get out." Does Austin fit the bill? I'll be honest, it wasn't even on my list of choices originally. My dad is from Texas, and I've been to the state many times. I thought I would at least inquire, though.

More info:

I will probably have a master's degree in ESL Teaching before I make the move.

Culture is what I need. I need to be somewhere where I can meet many artistic people and create until my heart's content. I want to be able to join established acting or comedy guilds, and I want to learn how to get along with many different people from all walks of life.

I make a little less than the average teacher working as a substitute teacher and private tutor.

As I mentioned before, I'm not the best communicator; this is the area I want to improve. I want to learn how to entertain my students and persuade people with grand presentations. I want to become a master of small talk and make people feel at-ease and familiar with me.

I definitely want to go to school; it's a great place to meet new people, find job leads, and network. I can probably even apply for in-state tuition since my dad lives in Texas.

What do you think? Does Austin fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Yes, but you're going to work hard for the rent and trying to meet the creative contacts you need. You need to join as many artist organizations, meetups, and listserves as you can.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 AM

147 posts, read 595,787 times
I can't describe it for you because I don't live there; nor have I ever visited. I have, however, done an extensive amount of research and am certain this is where I want to be with the exception of one small (huge) problem; the heat. I live in Pensacola, FL so am I somewhat used to the heat. Here, though, we have four seasons. While "fall" is very short here, we still get one. I don't so much mind the heat as long as I get a winter; something Austin doesn't seem to offer.

Check out this quote from a blog I read.

Quote:
I moved here in June, 2011, which was the start of the hottest summer on record in Austin. We had 85 days of high temperatures of over 100 degrees, and 27 of those days were consecutive.
Many will tell you you need to ensure you are okay with this type of weather as it is a huge factor in moving there. I have not visited yet but I plan to. I'm not certain I'll love that much heat all the time. The issue is that, based on my extensive research, Austin is everything I want. From the music scene, night life, restaurants, nature, and people, to the decent cost of living and medical job opportunities. Seriously, Austin is everything I want. I just hate that it's so hot for so long. I don't know what to do.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
I don't so much mind the heat as long as I get a winter; something Austin doesn't seem to offer.
Hmmm...lows in the mid-twenties for the next two nights...that's ALL the winter I need!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

I'm tired of living in this tiny city in Alabama, and I want to move. I was seriously thinking about maybe moving to the North, but, from what I've gathered by hanging out on the New York forum, it's not the best idea for my budget. I want to go somewhere where there is a bustling arts scene and where I can dramatically improve my communication skills, through guilds for comedy or acting, and finally "get out." Does Austin fit the bill? I'll be honest, it wasn't even on my list of choices originally. My dad is from Texas, and I've been to the state many times. I thought I would at least inquire, though.

More info:

Culture is what I need. I need to be somewhere where I can meet many artistic people and create until my heart's content. I want to be able to join established acting or comedy guilds, and I want to learn how to get along with many different people from all walks of life.

I make a little less than the average teacher working as a substitute teacher and private tutor.

As I mentioned before, I'm not the best communicator; this is the area I want to improve. I want to learn how to entertain my students and persuade people with grand presentations. I want to become a master of small talk and make people feel at-ease and familiar with me.

I definitely want to go to school; it's a great place to meet new people, find job leads, and network. I can probably even apply for in-state tuition since my dad lives in Texas.

You will probably be able to find what you're looking for here, but as others have said, you will have to work your butt off to survive.

Do not move here assuming you'll be able to attend the University of Texas. Admissions are extremely competitive. Also, don't count on in-state tuition. You're an adult and won't be a Texas resident until a year after you've lived here.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeUse View Post
Nothing is ever as bad, or good, as the Internet says it is.

I'm in Pensacola every 4-5 weeks - if you can handle that heat and humidity, you can handle Austin. Oh, and the winter thing, we've already had 6-7 days with lows in the 20's, highs in the 40's.
Really? Wow! It was around 70 degrees on Christmas. This is a "funny" () pic that was going around local's Facebooks and the news recently.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Also, following local bloggers (who dedicate their blogs to Austin and its culture, of course) is a great way to obtain some knowledge and just get a feel for what for what goes on locally. Here are a list of blogs that I follow; there are many more.

Republic of Austin
365 Things Austin
The Austinot

There are a few that I like better but I don't have access to my bookmarks at the moment. Just Google it. Furthermore, I've put this playlist of videos together on YouTube. It's just stuff that interests me and may have no significance to you. I will add more over time. Moving To Austin.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
I would look into Chicago.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Eh, I think New York City would be your best bet. I was (formerly) a creative person and despite the higher cost of living, NYC has the better opportunities and a lot more creative types than Austin. That drawback is, as you stated the higher cost of living. Austin, though, isn't the cheapie city...but you'll struggle less here than in New York.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

More info:

So many better places I can think of for you:

NY
Miami
Seattle
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Santa Fe
Chicago....

Chicago may be the best considering interest in comedy. As a matter of fact, put Chicago at top of your list, but gap, NY, giant chasm, everything else I listed, the distance between here and the moon, and then Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: