Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 12:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times

Advertisements

In Austin, there is a large population of Indians (especially NW). Many are highly educated & many of their children attend good schools. (the reason i mention this, is that it might be an influence on how one classifies oneself....or not.)

In the school track my kid attends (at each school he attended), the "Asian" % listed typically equals (equaled) the number of Asian (non-indian) kids in the school. If the Indian kids would have been included, imo the Asian % would have been higher. And at each school, the Anglo % listed typically equals the number of Anglos AND the number Indians at the school.

Question: In Austin.....Do Indians consider themselves (classify themselves) Asian American or Anglo American?

(& for either answer, i wonder why?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM

433 posts, read 660,380 times
Point of this thread? Race troll.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM

847 posts, read 766,574 times
look I am not Indian but I am from (heritage wise) their neighboring country.

generally speaking the U.S state department has four major categories for Asia.

Central Asia Which is Iran, Turkamnistan, Tajikstan, Uzbakistan ++ bunch of other countries.
Western Asia (what Most Americans popularly refer to as Middle East)

Indian Sub-Contiennt Which includes Srilanka, Pakistan,Bangladesh,India and Pakistan.

Then There is Far East Asian Whic is China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Indoenia, Thialand ....

generally many immigrants including myself that come to the u.s are not familiar with U.S Census Lingo where Asian is referred to people who come from Far East Asia not people who come from Asian Continent.

So there is a margin of error on how many middle "eastners", Central Asians And Indians refer to themselves as Asian.

U.S/ State Document generally classifies people from Indian Sub-Continent and Middle East as Caucasian.

Of course people though generally put those folks in limbo because they look neither White nor Asian.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Point of this thread? Race troll.
The point is that many (lots) of people come to CD & ask about "diversity" (whatever that means) of various cities, areas, schools etc.

The point is that the numbers being conveyed (by lots of "go to" sites) as one thing.....& I suspect the "numbers" are interpreted incorrectly (or flat out wrong).

The point is that I've been thinking about this for awhile & I'm curious if my Asian son is at a school that is 31% Asian or 45% Asian.

Neo....why are you suddenly hopping into the Austin Board hot tub..... & f*rting?

Old 01-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
look I am not Indian but I am from (heritage wise) their neighboring country.

generally speaking the U.S state department has four major categories for Asia.

Central Asia Which is Iran, Turkamnistan, Tajikstan, Uzbakistan ++ bunch of other countries.
Western Asia (what Most Americans popularly refer to as Middle East)

Indian Sub-Contiennt Which includes Srilanka, Pakistan,Bangladesh,India and Pakistan.

Then There is Far East Asian Whic is China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Indoenia, Thialand ....

generally many immigrants including myself that come to the u.s are not familiar with U.S Census Lingo where Asian is referred to people who come from Far East Asia not people who come from Asian Continent.

So there is a margin of error on how many middle "eastners", Central Asians And Indians refer to themselves as Asian.

U.S/ State Document generally classifies people from Indian Sub-Continent and Middle East as Caucasian.

Of course people though generally put those folks in limbo because they look neither White nor Asian.
Great post. Thanks for responding. This is what I was thinking.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM

Eric yeah America is weird about race. Kind of like that little word they invented called Hispanic. Other countries are going to think your insane if you explain it to them. Good luck convincing a Spanish person that he's not white because of his language.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM

side note: Anglo is very incorrect terms that almost never applies in the U.S anymore.

Anglo refers to people who came from Britain sphere influence as opposed to France, Germany, Italy ,....

Since Inter Breeding in the U.S has been widespread the terms, Irish, Anglo, really has very little meaning anymore.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM

What I'm saying is that many "Hispanics" consider themselves white because they um look Anglo. Its only in America where they woukdnt be because of there last name and Spanish speaking skills

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
What I'm saying is that many "Hispanics" consider themselves white because they um look Anglo. Its only in America where they woukdnt be because of there last name and Spanish speaking skills
Well the Census does make a distinction between White Latinos and Non White Latinos.

Unfortunately the real point of Census data collection on minorities is suppose to be able to help the system cope with the society's needs and to large degree universities and other insitutions do use this data to that end.

But a significant part the population/businesses also uses Census Data to simply decide whether an expensive project should be implemented in an area that contains a lot of minorities or not.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM

I don't have an opinion on the terms (i do, but not for this thread)

Great Schools uses: Hispanic, Asian, Black, White, Two or more races, AmericanIndian/Alaska Native & Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander.

That Relocation Guide (that i posted in another thread) uses: Anglo (Non-Hispanic White), Hispanic or Latino, African American, Asian & Other.

There's probably 10-20 other sites (including TEA) that might be "go to". Not sure what terms they use.

Last edited by hound 109; 01-08-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin