Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times

Advertisements

Any of the Cities in Texas have a liberal core...Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas, Corpus and El Paso.....and their suburbs tend toward conservative. I'd say Georgetown is a mixed bag. It IS a college town . There are lots of artists, there is a theatre (stage, not movie; although they have that too) In fact, Chet Garner from the Austin PBS show "Road Tripper" is hosting a series there of movies filmed in Austin. I think it goes on throughout the year and he and the crew will be in attendance at the first film shown. Georgetown has numerous festivals and a farmers market and some nice parks too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 AM

597 posts, read 1,317,184 times
Just live in Geogetown. My Hick radar does not come up when I visit there. There are some nice restaurants and more stuff is being built out there all the time. You'll probably be happier living in GT and coming to Austin for events, etc.. Especially if you have kids since it's less likely you'll be hanging out on weeknights anyway.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Black View Post
Politically, is Georgetown more liberal than the rest of Texas considering its proximity to Austin?
I'm not trying to challenge you - just really curious why you care? I see this thought expressed from time to time, and am just seeking to understand.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Black View Post
Wow, I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. Honestly, I hadn't thought about living in Georgetown but will definitely consider it after reading what you all are posting. I will be heading there soon and I am looking forward to investigating. I was born and raised in a relatively small town (55k people), and after spending the past few years in a much larger city (where I trained) I really fell in love with a bigger city and figured that it was what I wanted again. Also, my wife and I are vegetarian and appreciate eco-friendly lifestyles.

Politically, is Georgetown more liberal than the rest of Texas considering its proximity to Austin?
Georgetown voted 55-65% Republican, 28-43% Democratic in the last 5 presidential elections //www.city-data.com/city/Georgetown-Texas.html

It does have Southwestern University there, the oldest university in Texas, which adds a liberal element to the community.

Southwestern University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 AM

104 posts, read 157,167 times
I did a Google Search called Old Town, which is about a 15 block or so area in the immediate downtown Georgetown area. As Austin-Steve mentioned this is the area of the cool vintage homes. Also, some realtors came up in the search so you can see photos.

But, here is an awesome link with tons of GTown info:
Georgetown Texas - Victorian Architecture Bldg & Homes

Old 01-14-2014, 10:18 AM

104 posts, read 157,167 times
I did a Google Search on Old Town Georgetown which is about a 15 block area of cool vintage homes mentioned above and found a lot of info and this webpage:

Georgetown Texas - Victorian Architecture Bldg & Homes

Also, here is a new 30 min video on Gtown:

Georgetown, TX | The Daytripper

Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
Central Austin would be a perfect fit for your taste but the commute would be horrible.

Georgetown is a pleasant town and if I had to choose to move somewhere else in the metro area I'd go there.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM

97 posts, read 123,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I'm not trying to challenge you - just really curious why you care? I see this thought expressed from time to time, and am just seeking to understand.
Because Progressives are the most intolerant people there are. First, because they think anyone to the Right of Wendy Davis is eeeeevil and second, because they cannot stand to be around people who don't follow their dictats.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM

847 posts, read 766,825 times
I think It is virtually impossible for you to live some place south of 45th street and even that is pushing it.

I think with you 300-350K Price Range you are slightly priced out of 45th 54th Street Properties that surround Mopac. which is sort of at the center of Austin Metro without being downtown.

I think you can live some place such as Anderson Lane (Your 300K Budget should be plenty there)
drive north on Mopac Get on Toll Road 45. Get to I-H35 and Louis Henna Blvd in 20-30 Minutes.
From there depending on the Traffic it should be reasonable to say you get to George Town in 15-25 Minutes.

I think you Stay within Three Miles of 183 And Mopac Interchange or 183 and I-H35 Interchange you should be able to get to George on an Average Day under and Hour.

But You should know that the Reverse Traffic (going against downtown) eventually will get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin