Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You obviously don't know what a good restaurant is.

Lived in Austin 5 years.
My wife lived there 9 years.
What you did in the past has nothing to do with what the restaurant scene is now. Thanks for validating my point - that you haven't spent much time here - recently.

And frankly, you don't know me well enough to know if I know what a good restaurant is. So in addition to being ignorant about the quality of Austin restaurants, you are presumptuous.

Also, Mr. Bourdain would like a word with you.

Last edited by scm53; 01-13-2014 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
Being unpretentious is NOT reserve snobbery! What a load of bull.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Places at The Domain like Diesel, Ralph Lauren, Zara's seem high end to me.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There are two different definitions of 'good restaurant', most likely (well, probably more, but...). Anyway, there are a number of restaurants with excellent food here, but some people will not consider them good because they are not 'fancy' enough.
We ate at a fairly new TexMex restaurant, Dos Salsas, the other day in Cedar Park. Food was pretty good as were the 'ritas, so we'll be back.
However, I was kinda put off that the place was on the fancy side - table cloths with glass tops, chandeliers, no flies in evidence, and nary a broken chip on the floor! What's up with that?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
Why is it that high-end retail, particularly clothing stores, can't seem to find a large enough niche to stay in business in Austin? Outside of Neiman Marcus and By George there's little else. In the last year we've lost Saks, Barney's Co-Op, and Lacoste. Lacoste? Austin can't even support a single Lacoste?

I understand that Austinites are largely laid back but as the city continues to grow, and become a city of greater economic and international significance, I think it's a shame that these retailers can't seem to find a market here.

What are your thoughts?
You can travel a hour and a half SW and you will find all these stores that you listed @ The Shops of La Cantera.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We ate at a fairly new TexMex restaurant, Dos Salsas, the other day in Cedar Park. Food was pretty good as were the 'ritas, so we'll be back.
However, I was kinda put off that the place was on the fancy side - table cloths with glass tops, chandeliers, no flies in evidence, and nary a broken chip on the floor! What's up with that?
You should hit the original Dos Salsas in Georgetown then. It's older and a bit less "polished".

Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yes, please no frou-frou places in the 'burbs! Give me my small-town Texas eateries any day of the week.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
You should hit the original Dos Salsas in Georgetown then. It's older and a bit less "polished".
Beat me to it. The original is not at all like that.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:53 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
That the place on the south side of the Square in G'town? Have not been there in years, I need to get back

Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
As far as I know there are no restaurants in austin that require a jacket. In fact jeans and flip flops are ok everywhere. I like it this way and believe this is an austin core value - casual. Even pretentious in our casualness.
This right here - this is one of the things that makes Austin NOT Dallas or Houston, and we should treasure it (and if we don't, we should probably be living in Dallas or Houston - haven't lived in Houston, have lived in Dallas, and it's another kind of lifestyle, which is fine - not every place has to be all things to all people, that was lies eventual homogeneity and boredom).

One of the delights of Austin has been seeing a line down the sidewalk outside of Jeffrey's (what, you thought Franklin's invented the long line to get in?) with someone in full evening attire standing in line next to someone in jeans and cowboy boots, and no one thought anything of it. Sort of like parties at Liz Carpenter's that I was told of by a frequent attendee the guest lists of which had everyone from Lady Bird Johnson to the check-out clerk that Liz met while buying supplies for the party and liked and invited. Nobody minds if you get all dressed up, everybody has their own kind of fun and playing dress-up is always a blast, but no one is particularly impressed by it, either, and insisting that everyone else do the same or cater to you wanting to do that or look down on those that don't isn't considered particularly impressive, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin