Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
We do want to have one nice meal experience, aka fancy

Price shouldn't be more than $250 for the both of us.
You have a lot of choices in that range. Depends on how "edgy" you want, if creative or opulent is on top, how important impeccable service is. Another problem is, most of the high end places are certainly already booked for this weekend - Congress, Lenoir, the Carillon, etc. There are some others that are max creative - Barley Swine, Qui - that don't take reservations, but might be too "edgy". Certainly, there are the steakhouses if you want opulent - but you can get that in spades in Houston. You can even go to one of our top restaurants now in Houston - Uchi.

So, I'd go to Fabi + Rosi. Fantastic food, quaint, even romantic. No reservations, so you wait with everyone else.

You can google all of them above and see what works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Sauce is a disguise for bad barbecue.
Wrong!

Sauce is the most important part of BBQ! Apparently you've never had KC BBQ...

Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
KC BBQ and Texas BBQ are two entirely different beasts.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wrong!

Sauce is the most important part of BBQ! Apparently you've never had KC BBQ...
Like I said. Sauce is a disguise for bad barbecue. If it is cooked right, the meat has all the flavor you need. Apparently, you've never had barbecue that was cooked right.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:01 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Howdy all!

My fiance and I are getting married on Friday and neither have been to Austin in at least 10 years or so. I hear that a lot of great things have happened there since then (especially with new restaurants and eateries) and was hoping that I could get some restaurant suggestions from you.

We would like to eat some amazing BBQ (I LOVE burnt ends from smoked brisket), have some awesome country breakfast (we are big on breakfast) and maybe visit a couple unique restaurants that are exclusive to Austin (I'm a burger guy and she loves cupcakes).

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!! -Dave
If you want to go a little more upscale and romantic, there are two that are unique to Austin; Hudson's on the Bend and Fonda san Miguel.

Good BBQ is ubiquitous. As are good burger joints. I don't know anything about cupcakes.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Dang most of y'all are newbies. BBQ is 2 places here - old timers know it -

The Salt Lick
or
CountyLine on the Lake

That's all she wrote!

That's it-after those come the other ones, Lamberts, Stubbs, etc.

if you need natural meat-it ain't fancy but Ruby's BBQ near UT is good but humble.
Sorry, but County Line doesn't make my top 25.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
We do want to have one nice meal experience, aka fancy

Price shouldn't be more than $250 for the both of us.
Go to Hudson's on the Bend. It's a very special place with a lot of unique food and you can get a nice meal with expensive wine for less than $250.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Go to Hudson's on the Bend. It's a very special place with a lot of unique food and you can get a nice meal with expensive wine for less than $250.
I don't know anyone who would even think they were in the top 50 in Austin. Maybe twenty years ago - a sign of how much we've progressed.

They take Groupons for a reason.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
For a country breakfast, go to Threadgill's (the downtown/south location) for their Sunday morning gospel brunch buffet. You really need to. Decline sitting in the room with the music, you can hear it just fine from the front room. It's not too "gospel-ish", if that's not your thing. The food is the best country-style breakfast I've had in Austin. I think the music starts at about 11:00, 10:30 is a good time to get there.

If you have time for a cupcake, stop by Upper Crust Bakery on Burnet Rd at 45th. Nice, complex flavor in their baked goods, not just something loaded with sugar. You could get a Texas croissant if you're not into sweets...cheese and jalapenos. Or, their quiche is delicious. Lots to choose from at Upper Crust, and it's all outstanding. They close at about 5 or 6 pm normally, close at 1:00 pm on Sundays.

Last edited by capcat; 01-15-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Oh, man! So many awesome suggestions! Looks like y'all really know your stuff. I'm going to start researching your recommendations and putting the plan together! Thanks everyone! And, pls keep them coming if you think of anything else. I'll be checking here regularly. -dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin