U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,082,219 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me details on how/where to sign up for Obama care in Austin? This is for a friend having trouble using the gov website. Are there any locations in Austin where you can talk to an agent and get reliable advise and who can help guide you through the process? Who has had a good experience, please share details, ie. websites, agents, contact numbers, etc. Is the new deadline March 21? Thanks much!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,952,072 times
Start with healthcare.gov. If your income is too high for any type of subsidy or tax credits then get off of healthcare.gov and go direct to the various carriers. Blue Cross, Humana, Scott & White etc.

I navigated Healthcare.gov last week without providing social sec. numbers but I did give up our names & DOB's. I was able to see quotes for coverage for myself, hubs and the kids. I had it quoted separately as well as family coverage. I made note of the various carriers and then went off to their websites where there were more options.

With healthcare.gov the plans must meet the minimum ACA requirements but what I saw was a lot of high premiums with high deductibles. I have no idea how this is all supposed to be "affordable"

Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM

316 posts, read 671,966 times
Your friend should just try the website again. I had problems logging on the first month or two, but it worked after that.

I purchase my own health insurance for my family. I don't qualify for any subsidies but I registered to see prices. It is definitely not affordable compared to my current plan through BCBSTX. The bad thing is that if someone needs healthcare now these are going to be your only options. I can keep my old plan but if I were to cancel it and try to choose another plan, I'd have to go with one of these "simplified" plans that are very expensive for the level of coverage provided. Also, my current plan's rate has gone up twice, once in October and once this month, due to the ACA. So now I'm paying an extra $200/month for the same coverage, and I can't shop other providers because they can now only offer "2014" plans that meet the ACA requirements. So much for having choices like years past.

Sorry for the rant, but I have not been impressed with ACA the past few months.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,377,733 times
We did not have luck with the website so my husband called and talked to someone. Four hours later, we had insurance but my daughter could not be covered for some bizarre reason. We have to see if she can be put on CHIP and if not, they will add her to our policy . We were eligible for the subsidy as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 PM

7,156 posts, read 12,624,644 times
I signed in a month ago and got quotes. The cheapest I believe was 150/month for a 5K deductible, but 100% coverage after. 300/month for a low deductible (maybe $0?) and 90% co pay

I dont remember the numbers exactly, but they werent bad at all. Im in my 40s.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM

316 posts, read 671,966 times
I don't remember what the exact rates were for my family but a year ago I was paying around $650/mo. for myself, my wife, and 2 kids. It's now over $800/mo., and comparable 2014 plans (which must meet the ACA mandate) are much higher. I have a feeling the pre-2014 plans will continue to go up in price until they are more in line with the new mandated plans. Time will tell.

I'm not against subsidized health care, but I don't like all the mandates being placed and the money being spent to try to make this work. I understood what my old plans offered and I didn't need simplified bronze, silver, gold plans which include things that give me no value. But this is my last comment here, as it probably belongs in the politics section.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:06 PM

841 posts, read 657,444 times
I am self employed so yes I tried the website too.

Since I was not u.s Born I had to actually mail in proof of my citizenship since that part of the system is down.

HealthCare.gov should not really take you more than say 20 minutes total.

but keep in mind that once you select your insurance on Healthcare.gov you must independently go over to the insurance Companies website or call them and pay them. for your insurance to be actually issued.

sometimes after a week or so healthcare.gov sends you payment a confirmation e-mail.

By the way Heathcare.gov (and all the infrastructure behind it) is just small part of Affordable Care Act.

There is ton of Mandates on Hospitals, Clinics to Digitize Prescriptions, Patient Files, Patient, Usability.

In a few years Most of our files will be online so you can hopefully digitally pick it up and go from provider to provider.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 PM

36 posts, read 38,191 times
It's a scam...stay away!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 619,001 times
healthcare.gov has info about local navigators (by zip code) to help your friend through the process. They are not agents but serve a similar function. They cannot steer you to a particular plan, but they can help you fill out the application once you have chosen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin