Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 PM

47 posts, read 93,944 times

Advertisements

Definitely wouldn't move down there without a job nor talk about politics at work, job interview or otherwise.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Your picture of Texas is horrifically flawed.
I was describing what most of my extended network thinks about Texas, not my own personal beliefs. I would never consider moving there if I thought Texas was actually like that.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I think the main thing that transplants need to "get" when they move to the Austin area is that they need to accept some things that they might not agree with. Something like the "prominent gun culture" is just that. A lot of people take pride in their gun ownership whether they vote Republican or Democrat. So yes, that is one thing that might put you off if you aren't willing to accept that the culture is just different here.
This absolutely doesn't put me off, I was just curious as to what it is really like down there since most of my friends and family (clearly) have no idea. I actually enjoy interacting with people of different lifestyles and beliefs because I find it interesting (as long as both parties are respectful and don't try to force their views on one another).

Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
I agree that ppl need to accept a different type of life if you want to live in Texas. I'm as liberal as they come but I do appreciate the lifestyle in Texas that revolves around hunting, fishing, guns and cars. I just don't like it when ppl use it as a way to set themselves apart from the rest of the world, as if they're preserving some traditional order that the New World Order is trying to destroy, LOL.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
In any case, MUCH of Texas is more that way than gets credit - the socially liberal, fiscally conservative approach is probably the professed position of most people I know. You can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't injure me AND I don't have to pay for it.
Definitely becoming more fiscally conservative as I get older and have to start paying for things LOL. Around here though I feel like I have to include some kind of disclaimer i.e. "I'm socially liberal BUT..." You're actually criticized if you pick and choose too much.

Anyway, very interesting -- thank you!

Also, I know this is a silly question but with all the transplants in Austin, can you actually go a full day without hearing a Southern accent? From what I've read it seems like Southern Californians have taken over the entire city LOL

Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets View Post
Also, I know this is a silly question but with all the transplants in Austin, can you actually go a full day without hearing a Southern accent? From what I've read it seems like Southern Californians have taken over the entire city LOL
Native Austinites don't have a Southern accent. The word "y'all" is about the only giveaway. Even people from other areas of Texas don't have a Southern accent, but you can definitely detect a "Texan" accent.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS73 View Post
Mistaking us for part of the South will just get you in trouble.
What would be correct then? The Southwest?

Also, sorry to sound so ignorant (I've never been anywhere south of Ohio), but are confederate flags a big thing in Texas?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I think the people here don't try to fit into a "liberal" or a "conservative" mold, but pick and choose what they want to do and what they want to support by their own individual beliefs. So from what I've seen, there are a lot of Obama voters that regularly go to the shooting range with their kids and that is just accepted here.
I'm glad to read Austin isn't an "all or nothing" kind of place. If I saw a pick-up truck with an Obama bumper sticker parked at a shooting range, I'd probably take a picture, that's how rare something like that would be up here. People in Toronto love Obama and follow the American elections with much more interest than the Canadian elections (I guess for obvious reasons LOL), but it would contradict the hip, urban, liberal "lifestyle" to be seen at a shooting range (I don't even know if there are any in Toronto, but if there were, it'd be a big no-no to go to one, unless you were being "ironic"). I haven't met anyone who identifies as liberal but doesn't recycle, or who supports gay marriage and simultaneously loves small government. It's actually kind of stifling sometimes.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
The Southwest more than the South (except for a small part of East Texas), but, really, being as large as it is, and with so many influences, it's just Texas.

Confederate flags are not a big thing either way to most Texans. The Texas state flag is what you'll see the most, and you'll see it a LOT.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppets View Post
What would be correct then? The Southwest?

TEXAS!! We are region unto ourselves! And if you don't believe me, try driving from Beaumont to El Paso or Brownsville to Amarillo!

Usually if you say TX is part of the southwest, everyone shrugs (doesn't make sense for Tyler but whatever) but if you try to put Texas in "the south" most folks will protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin