Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 31,227 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking to relocate to the Austin area. It will be my wife and two children, ages 6 and 8. We are looking to live in a place where we can be outside the city and still within a short drive to businesses and shopping, etc. But ideally we are looking for a quiet community where the lots are not smack one on top of another, preferably a simple family home on about 1/2 to 1 acre lot. We are avid road cyclists, so living somewhere near some good country roads would be great if possible. Again, we dont mind a short drive to live outside the city, and hopefully something like this exists on the east or southeast sections of Austin. please if you can help with any info, leave comments!

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 01:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,369,428 times
Bastrop and Caldwell counties will have what you're looking for. Bastrop or Lockhart in particular come to mind; you might be able to find a place there or just outside of those communities that would fit the bill. Are you saying east/southeast because of commute to work?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:08 PM

Hi TexasHorseLady.. thank you.. Actually I am not familiar with Austin yet, but one of the considering factors with this move unfortunately is going to be my monthly trips to MD Anderson in Houston.. So if I can cut even 30 minutes off the drive by being on the east/southeast side of the Austin area, that would help. Our work office is in Austin but I wont need to go into the office but once or twice a week.. so to me that is not as much of a factor as is getting on the freeway and getting to Houston without alot of commuting through Austin. I will look at Bastrop and Caldwell counties... Thanks

Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM

102 posts, read 156,493 times
Southeast side is expensive and limited with that criteria. Between I-35, SH130, SH45E, and SH71, there are onlly 4 properties available that are over 1 acre, and they range from $330,000 to $800,000. If are looking for 1/2 to 1 acre, there are only 2 houses for sale, and they are 414,000 to 565,000 and they are both in the same neighborhood.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

Ah.. thanks for that info.. no if it comes down to it, then we will look at the entire surrounding area of Austin. Those prices are higher than what we can afford. Another half hour or so on the road once a month to get to MDA will be worth checking out the other side of Austin too.. We are coming from the west coast, where you are lucky to have a lot with any yard at all.. everybody fenced in with good neighbor fences.. Definitely want to get AWAY from that kind of living, and have some room, and a large yard for the kids. It does not need to be an acre of course, but some elbow room without houses one on top of another.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM

Wow, I'm going to have to go check that on the actual MLS, because that's not what I usually find southeast at all, and I was just looking in those areas three or four days ago!

Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Now, I wasn't looking in Southeast AUSTIN, because that didn't sound exactly like what the OP was looking for, but a quiet community in the Austin area, something very different these days.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,721,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb44 View Post
Hi TexasHorseLady.. thank you.. Actually I am not familiar with Austin yet, but one of the considering factors with this move unfortunately is going to be my monthly trips to MD Anderson in Houston.. So if I can cut even 30 minutes off the drive by being on the east/southeast side of the Austin area, that would help. Our work office is in Austin but I wont need to go into the office but once or twice a week.. so to me that is not as much of a factor as is getting on the freeway and getting to Houston without alot of commuting through Austin. I will look at Bastrop and Caldwell counties... Thanks
Look at Bastrop. It's on the way to Houston and would be much cheaper than Austin.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Okay, quick and dirty MLS search, house, 3-2, on an acre or more, in Caldwell and Bastrop Counties, turned up 30 hits for less than$300,000, ranging in age from built in 1895 to built in 2014 (new build still under construction). Lots of options out that way. With 130, if you were in or just outside of Lockhart you could take 130 down to I10 and a straight shoot to Houston. Up further north, you could take 290 to Houston.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberguber View Post
I opened up the search to include raw land and found 15 properties with a 1 acre minimum. I didn't realize the Southeast side of Austin had become that expensive. The OP might be better off sticking to the SW side for more affordable land.
Uberguber, that search is for the SE portion of the MLS, which is in Austin proper. \

If you look at the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb44 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to relocate to the Austin area. It will be my wife and two children, ages 6 and 8. We are looking to live in a place where we can be outside the city and still within a short drive to businesses and shopping, etc. But ideally we are looking for a quiet community where the lots are not smack one on top of another, preferably a simple family home on about 1/2 to 1 acre lot. We are avid road cyclists, so living somewhere near some good country roads would be great if possible. Again, we dont mind a short drive to live outside the city, and hopefully something like this exists on the east or southeast sections of Austin. please if you can help with any info, leave comments!

Rob
you'll see that they are saying that they want to be outside the city, not in it, which is where you're looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin