Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times

Advertisements

Actually, most of the "hot" hipster areas - Wicker Park, Williamsburg, Silver Lake - all have low percentage of Blacks. Correlation or causation?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 AM

675 posts, read 1,905,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Actually, most of the "hot" hipster areas - Wicker Park, Williamsburg, Silver Lake - all have low percentage of Blacks. Correlation or causation?
If you watch the videos- especially 'Tale of Two Cities' - it seems like it's a combination of factors. But, in terms of 'low percentage of blacks' - that pretty much describes most neighborhoods in Austin. A long time ago, that wasn't the case. I also read that the black population in Austin is shrinking (the only big city this is happening in Texas). I wonder if that's true and what the reasons are.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM

847 posts, read 766,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I wonder if that's true and what the reasons are.
You can verify on u.s census Stats. as percentage yes it is happening.

I don't think it is something overtly racist per say.

it is socioeconomic issue. Austin's median wage is generally higher than the rest of the country.

Thus Poor People Ala Minorities such as Blacks and Hispanics can easily get priced out of Austin. The poor population also does not really have the skill-set required by the modern globalized economy so they have to work in service industry.
Also compared to many cities Austin Really does not have a real Section8 Housing Authority so naturally alot of poor people just move out.

Economists and sociologists have to study this for years to find out how this is exactly being caused. There are easily hundreds of variables involved

Old 01-17-2014, 10:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I watched several of these and enjoyed learning more about the history of Austin and some of the people in it. It was good to see Bertha Means again, I consulted with her when she ran for City Council. I will probably watch the rest of them later today.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Lo Ho
I hate to admit but one of the reason I move to Austin is because it is not very diverse. So people like the diversity but nope not for me. Most people wont admit it but it the truth.
Quote:
I think this interesting- I wonder how many people moved to Austin because it was so white-dominated (and oh so progressive and liberal) but won't admit that's the reason.
I find both of those comments a bit absurd. Austin is in fact very racially diverse, but has a low population of black residents.

Which is not uncommon this far West in the country.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
If you watch the videos- especially 'Tale of Two Cities' - it seems like it's a combination of factors. But, in terms of 'low percentage of blacks' - that pretty much describes most neighborhoods in Austin. A long time ago, that wasn't the case. I also read that the black population in Austin is shrinking (the only big city this is happening in Texas). I wonder if that's true and what the reasons are.
The black population is shrinking because the areas were black people typically lived are gentrifying. As property values increase in East Austin those residents are selling out, taking the profit and moving to nicer homes in less expensive neighborhoods, such as Hutto and Pflugerville.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:41 PM

433 posts, read 660,654 times
Quote:
I think this interesting- I wonder how many people moved to Austin because it was so white-dominated (and oh so progressive and liberal) but won't admit that's the reason.
a huge chunk probably. the same people that move to Portland and Seattle because they are so progressive but would feel uncomfortable next door to a minority

Old 01-17-2014, 02:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Until you have lived in a town that is 53% black, you have no idea. Been there, done that. Ain't going back.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Quote:
Until you have lived in a town that is 53% black, you have no idea. Been there, done that. Ain't going back.
See newbies, in Texas some things never change. Most whites would be in freefall after hearing people talk about you that way. For us, it's normal and expected - even the hours of silence (or passive agreement) after such comments are made. People can be tough, but my family is "Texas tough" - nearly 120+ plus years in Austin area. No matter how Austin changes, we're home!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
What's wrong with living in an area that's majority black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin