Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM

65 posts, read 86,206 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We went to a Meridian School Open House this week. We're seriously considering putting our future Kindergartener here. Lately, I've been reading some poor reviews on the Principal, the program, and the level and quality of of the curriculum. What do you think of this school over RRISD public school?

I really don't want my kid to be taught "to the test." We like the IB philosophy, but I'm not sure Meridian is the right IB school for us.

Thoughts? Comments? Anecdotes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,739,255 times
Which RRISD public school?

My observation was that the remedial students are taught to "the test". Regular students (in different classes) are well above "the test" & wasn't an issue (except for maybe a one day review). Also, TAG/PreAP/AP/IB students (in different classes) are so far above "the test", it's definitely not an issue.

The stats on the "public school" might reveal some info on this.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 PM

65 posts, read 86,206 times
England Elementary would be our school. It's still very new...

Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 AM

320 posts, read 483,910 times
As one poster told me before I moved here, IB doesn't necessarily mean a quality education and there are plenty of good schools to choose from here. I chose an IB school anyway, because I am a big believer in the IB program. After 6 months at Grandview Hills Elementary, an IB school in Leander ISD, I am not impressed. Also, it does not feed into middle or high school IB schools. I originally wanted Spricewood Elementary, but couldn't find a rental at the time we needed it. Trying to get there for next school year - or Kathy Caraway (not IB). And now realizing that competition is stiff in that area for housing. Getting very discouraged. I toured Spicewood a couple months ago and the atmosphere reflects the IB program we are used to. Can't speak to the academics, but seems to be more "IB" than GVHE. The GVHE program is only a couple years old, so they are still building the program. I think the TX TEKS are so rigid that it might be a challenge to infuse the IB program here IMO. Coming from Raleigh, NC to here it seems like they do a lot more "teaching to the test" here from what I have observed. I am no expert, just a parent trying to find the right fit and the best school for my child in an area we can afford. Realizing it's not that easy here...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 PM

11 posts, read 20,019 times
Since Meridian is a charter school we are able to teach I.B. without the pressures that many school districts in RRISD have. They profess to teach I.B., but it's pretty difficult in regular public schools. Meridian is a fantastic school! What did you decide to do? Unfortunately reviews are a very easy way for angry people to vent, happy people don't comment enough. There's many happy people at Meridian, we are full and have a huge waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin