Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 PM

29 posts, read 76,124 times

Advertisements

have been pondering, like so many (probably) in the world, what I really want to do with my life. I have just moved to Austin and the absence of a job is making the "Perfect Career" a thing of discontent. I am educated (BS in Management and an Associates too). I have several (9+) years with the Department of Defense, working in the D.C. area and the military, but I don't know if I necessarily want to be an analyst anymore. I like problem solving, but I like tangible results, I like drawing both freehand drawing and technical detailed work too. I am more than computer litterate, and have worked some different software such as ArcMap/ArcGIS. After years of sitting behind a computer I know I would like something that will get me out of my chair and moving around too. All this being said, I haven't found a search engine or test where I can add these details and produce a job/career for me, let alone find some company/organization thus far to work for. Are there any ideas? I could use a little help finding a job, and I am not real confident in the career management company I have enlisted to help me thus far (HCI International). The next step is substiture teaching, but I don't want to be in the classroom, but I like kids...what is a guy to do? Is there a career out there for me...I am starting to doubt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
My only advice would be to find a job close to what you have been doing and THEN investigate what you can do to move in a more fulfilling direction. More training or education (paid for by that company)? A different department/group in that company that interests you? A second job or volunteer work that's in a field you'd like to work in? I've always heard its easier to find a job if you have a job and networking would be easier, too.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM

Yeah that is what I am working for now...but am having trouble in finding a "similar" job as it is...hard when you had a job working for the department of defense. Translating skills are a challenge. Thanks for the input though.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,969 times
Default Could help...

I found this site when I was job searching and it gave me a little insight into my "skills" and interests. Maybe it will help. If not, You can always kill some time "working" on it...

The Free Career Test - Start today and become a...Tomorrow.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM

Yep...

I have taken this test too...as well as the Myers Briggs, and a few others with similar goals in mind. All have similar outcomes, but the problem(s) are..what I already know...they sort of give my my interest a few job details that are in line with what I think and know about myself and what I might find interesting as a job/career, additionally they also suggest that my personality type and profile is little bit in different pools of interest. My log in name should be Jack of All Trades...Master of None. To follow that theme, I like a lot of different things, but nothing has ever grabbed me as a passion. So I guess for now, I am going to take the money and run...make as much as I can and hope for the best down the road.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy74 View Post
have been pondering, like so many (probably) in the world, what I really want to do with my life. I have just moved to Austin and the absence of a job is making the "Perfect Career" a thing of discontent. I am educated (BS in Management and an Associates too). I have several (9+) years with the Department of Defense, working in the D.C. area and the military, but I don't know if I necessarily want to be an analyst anymore. I like problem solving, but I like tangible results, I like drawing both freehand drawing and technical detailed work too. I am more than computer litterate, and have worked some different software such as ArcMap/ArcGIS. After years of sitting behind a computer I know I would like something that will get me out of my chair and moving around too. All this being said, I haven't found a search engine or test where I can add these details and produce a job/career for me, let alone find some company/organization thus far to work for. Are there any ideas? I could use a little help finding a job, and I am not real confident in the career management company I have enlisted to help me thus far (HCI International). The next step is substiture teaching, but I don't want to be in the classroom, but I like kids...what is a guy to do? Is there a career out there for me...I am starting to doubt it?
My recommendation is that you start networking, contact the local Texas Worksource Center , the main location on Airport Blvd will be able to connect you with some great sources. You may also consider volunteering somewhere for a special project either with a non-profit community partner , you will meet others who may have connections with direct contacts. You should also consider going with more than just one firm to assit you. Your background sounds very stable and you have a variety of skills that are considered to be transferable. Just think outside of the box and do not limit yourself.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy74 View Post
Yeah that is what I am working for now...but am having trouble in finding a "similar" job as it is...hard when you had a job working for the department of defense. Translating skills are a challenge. Thanks for the input though.
yeah, I thought my input was a little obvious....

For what its worth, when my DH wanted to change careers several years ago, he got some expensive training and took an entry level job at Dell. He's moved up and around many times and has become something of an expert in one area...he really loves what he does now and although its connected to what he started out doing, the job itself is completely different. AND its something he NEVER thought he'd be good at or interested in. You never know where you'll end up

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,120 times
What does an analyst for the DoD do exactly? What skill set do you have from that work?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,873 times
Default HCI International

Cowboy74,

I have been speaking to HCI International and have not decided to go with them yet. As a matter of fact, I don't even know the fees.

Would you mind telling about your experiences with them and if you feel the money and time spent with them was well spent?

Any information you can provide is appreciated. I have searched the web and can't find any information on them except their ads and some quotes from articles about job interviews.

Thank,
T-Boy

Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,161 times
Lightbulb Ooh

This may or may not help, but have you tried the Occupational Outlook Handbook? I've found it helpful in times of seeking employment to trip my trigger, so to speak, regarding other options I might not have previously considered:

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: