Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,603,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Lol. That sounds like Houston. I love the town because of that.
I do too. Houston is a land of opportunity. I have no trouble finding any job in Houston but it's the opposite in Austin and in San Antonio it's impossible because they want the sun, moon, and stars, etc etc when and if they look for new hires. I keep telling people that opportunities only exist in Houston and nowhere else in Texas even Austin is impossible.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,947,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I do too. Houston is a land of opportunity. I have no trouble finding any job in Houston but it's the opposite in Austin and in San Antonio it's impossible because they want the sun, moon, and stars, etc etc when and if they look for new hires. I keep telling people that opportunities only exist in Houston and nowhere else in Texas even Austin is impossible.
That's what im struggling with here in LA. Employers want to know everything and anything about you, references, pint of blood and ample exact experience. They just know they have their pick and can be choosy with the large reserve army of labor at their disposal.

I like how employers in Houston just want to know if you can do the job and you're not a nut job. I remember back in 08 turning down an entry level job at a major European shipping company, entry level logistics at 14 an hour. I was only 24 years old. God I would kill for that job now but I was dumb enough to think there were better opportunities in one of those cool northeastern cities, lol.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 01-20-2014 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM

36 posts, read 44,112 times
Yes finding a rental is tighter then a whales blowhole but if you can't find the jobs I think you no try hard enough.. Jus sayin

Old 01-20-2014, 08:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,936,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's what im struggling with here in LA. Employers want to know everything and anything about you, references, pint of blood and ample exact experience. They just know they have their pick and can be choosy with the large reserve army of labor at their disposal.

I like how employers in Houston just want to know if you can do the job and you're not a nut job. I remember back in 08 turning down an entry level job at a major European shipping company, entry level logistics at 14 an hour. I was only 24 years old. God I would kill for that job now but I was dumb enough to think there were better opportunities in one of those cool northeastern cities, lol.
Is "LA" Louisiana or Los Angeles?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,466,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Or Lower Alabama

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,947,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Los Angeles

Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,603,183 times
Quote:

but if you can't find the jobs I think you no try hard enough.. Jus sayin
Disagree. You would be amazed at how hard so many jobseekers try to find jobs in Austin and San Antonio for years and years. I've been there and done that and everyone says I work hard at whatever I do. I think it's really because Austin and San Antonio are so overpopulated with oversupply of jobseekers.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,840,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Disagree. You would be amazed at how hard so many jobseekers try to find jobs in Austin and San Antonio for years and years. I've been there and done that and everyone says I work hard at whatever I do. I think it's really because Austin and San Antonio are so overpopulated with oversupply of jobseekers.
Few things on this:

1. If the "overpopulation/oversupply" were true, unemployment rates would be going UP, not DOWN.

2. The job market in Austin is highly competitive in some areas, and wide open in others. As an employer, it really feels like Austin is full of 20 somethings that think they can waltz up with a freshly printed BA in Literature and land a flexible-schedule, work from the coffee house, pays above median, creative outlet, collaborative environment, sexy title, job that falls off a tree.

I see so many really crappy resumes and terrible interviews it's amazing.

3. This "land of milk and honey" perception that some of the media puts out there is so transparent.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,803,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj11801180 View Post
For me it was just lucky timing. My wife and I moved from Austin to Houston for jobs, I was working in state government and making crap money.

My new boss here at the oil company is a Landman also with a liberal arts background, maybe he felt sorry for me and gave me a shot. lol
In all seriousness, Houston gets a bad rap from Austinites, but Austin can't compete with the job diversity and increased salaries that Houston provides.

Do I want to live in Austin and enjoy the scenery, or do I want to live a cush life in Houston and make 40k more? We will move back to Austin when we can afford a 2nd house in the hills!
The fact that someone with no skill in a particular field can get a job in the Houston oil industry shows a lot about how much Houston is booming. However, rest assured that moving to Houston, you will be looking at a loss of very many things.

I'm actually looking to move to Houston to be closer to parents. I checked out a nice neighborhood called Fall Creek. At first glance, the community looks good, lots of trees, etc... However, there are a lot of metal works factories just east on the Beltway from there, and a very industrial part of town just west of there. It is like a very little oasis in a sea of concrete and ugliness. It would also be 30 minutes drive to just about everything.

So yes, you can make a lot in Houston, but you also have to give up a lot. People in Houston just seem to be content with a mansion in an HOA neighborhood, but don't give a care about what their actual city looks like. Everything is a hodge podge of mediocrity.

Houston is filled with people that couldn't succeed anywhere else and they still want part of the American dream. It's where a below average intelligence person can get a 6 figure job.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 AM

269 posts, read 426,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The fact that someone with no skill in a particular field can get a job in the Houston oil industry shows a lot about how much Houston is booming. However, rest assured that moving to Houston, you will be looking at a loss of very many things.

I'm actually looking to move to Houston to be closer to parents. I checked out a nice neighborhood called Fall Creek. At first glance, the community looks good, lots of trees, etc... However, there are a lot of metal works factories just east on the Beltway from there, and a very industrial part of town just west of there. It is like a very little oasis in a sea of concrete and ugliness. It would also be 30 minutes drive to just about everything.

So yes, you can make a lot in Houston, but you also have to give up a lot. People in Houston just seem to be content with a mansion in an HOA neighborhood, but don't give a care about what their actual city looks like. Everything is a hodge podge of mediocrity.

Houston is filled with people that couldn't succeed anywhere else and they still want part of the American dream. It's where a below average intelligence person can get a 6 figure job.

This entire post is nothing but nonsense especially the bold. It also reeks of bitterness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin